What do you think of Pearl?

I have been in love with the name [name]Pearl[/name] since I was little (I named a lot of stuffed animals [name]Pearl[/name]). It really gives off an aura of sophistication and beauty to me. I especially love it now because it has family significance: my late grandmother loved pearls and I inherited one of her pearl necklaces…

Now being the name nerd that I am, I love talking about names with my family (especially my mom). But every time I bring up the name [name]Pearl[/name] with them, all I get is “yuck” or “eww”. This isn’t the only one of my favorite names that gets this reaction ([name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Agatha[/name] and [name]Edith[/name] also get this).

I’m starting to wonder if maybe I am the only one that loves [name]Pearl[/name].

So just out of curiosity…what do YOU guys think of [name]Pearl[/name]??

I really like [name]Pearl[/name]. It’s classic, strong, and very pretty. I prefer it in the middle name spot, but I would like to see it as a first as well.
[name]Welcome[/name] to nameberry, hope this helps!

• [name]Athena[/name]

I love [name]Pearl[/name]! I asked about this name a while back. The thread is here: Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

[name]Welcome[/name] to Nameberry!

I love [name]Pearl[/name]! (As an added bonus, it’s a family name for me.)

[name]Pearl[/name] is short, simple, and sweet name with a vintage charm. The fact that the name has family meaning is an added bonus!

I love your other favourites [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Agatha[/name] and [name]Edith[/name] too! [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] would be wonderful!

I love the name [name]Pearl[/name]. It’s elegant, short and sweet.

As for the reactions, I got that too with every single name I really liked or loved. [name]Glad[/name] I stuck to my guns about the name.

[name]Pearl[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] is beautiful!

Reminds me of the whale in Spongebob. LOL!

[name]LOVE[/name] it, very sweet and strong at the same time

No I disagree I have yuck reaction to this name…it reminds me of a 90 year old

I like [name]Pearl[/name] very much! I see it as classy and unexpected. If I had several more daughters, I would consider using it as a middle name.

I love [name]Pearl[/name] very much! [name]Long[/name] before I even knew it was a vintage name I loved it. I think pearl will lose its "90 year old " feel to rest of the of the world once they meet an adorable [name]Baby[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] =). Its a name on my list for sure.

It makes me think of two works of literature: The [name]Scarlet[/name] Letter and The [name]Pearl[/name] by Steinbeck. I did not enjoy either of those novels.

To me it’s a little too much. It is sweet to name your baby after a precious material, but it’s a little too “precious” in my opinion.

[name]Pearl[/name] is very pretty! Softer than [name]Ruby[/name], and classier than [name]Diamond[/name], but definitely pretty. It like it better as a middle name, paired with another vintage name, such as [name]Clara[/name] or [name]Lucy[/name], but I wouldn’t mind it as a first name on someone else’s child. And if you want something unusual yet familiar, [name]Pearl[/name] definitely fits the bill!

[name]Pearl[/name] is good as a middle name. If it was used as a first name, it sounds old ladyish. :slight_smile:

I like it, but only as a middle name. It still sounds too old for a first name.

I know a lot of people seem to like [name]Pearl[/name], but I can never seem to like it myself. Not really sure why I don’t like it. I just don’t. Sorry.

honestly, i hate it…sorry:( i try to like [name]Pearl[/name] but i can’t. it reminds me a cute small pig. i really don’t know why. even i like the jewel pearl! i prefer [name]Ruby[/name] or [name]Crystal[/name]. or [name]Emerald[/name] for beautiful and mature women.

[name]Pearl[/name] has always been on my list because it is the meaning of [name]Margaret[/name], my mother’s name. I’m not sure if I would use it as a first name, but I think as a middle name it is lovely and goes with a large range of first names.

[name]Love[/name] it! We have decided on [name]Pearl[/name] [name]AnneMarie[/name] if this one is a girl. We find out next week!