What do you think of Priya?

I love the name [name]Freya[/name] but as I am from the UK I am worried about using it as it seems it is getting more and more popular. I have only recently started considering the name [name]Priya[/name] as an alternative. I know it is originally an [name]Indian[/name] name but I feel it could also work for people who aren’t [name]Indian[/name].

What do you all think of it?

Opinions would be appreciated :slight_smile:

I know 3 [name]Priya[/name]'s and they’re all [name]Indian[/name] or Pakistani.
Its a pretty name, but I can’t quite decide if it would fit on someone not from that area of the world.

I think it’s gorgeous, but I agree it would be a little strange to see on a blonde haired, blue eyed little girl. It’s doable, though!

I love [name]Priya[/name]. I think it’s on the rise in the UK, but not to the same extent as [name]Freya[/name]. I’ve seen it on a blonde haired blue eyed girl, and didn’t blink :slight_smile:

Well, all of the Priyas I have met were [name]Indian[/name], so I have to admit that I would find it a little odd on someone who wasn’t. I’m sort of a stickler for “don’t use an ethnic name unless that ethnicity is part of your baby’s heritage.” If that’s what you love though, go ahead and use it. It does have a pretty sound.

I know one girl with this name, but spelt Preeya.
She isn’t [name]Indian[/name]. I’ve always thought it was a beautiful name.
I think you should go for it! I actually like it better than [name]Freya[/name].

I say go for it, I think it’s a gorgeous name!

love it

beautiful name! I have never met a [name]Priya[/name], so I have no image in my head of what [name]Priya[/name] “should” look like. I think it could work for anyone!

Thank you all for your replies! It’s definetly the one name I keep thinking about. I still love [name]Freya[/name] but I just feel, as many others on nameberry do, that my daughter will be one of many [name]Freya[/name]'s.

People from the UK - how popular do you think [name]Freya[/name] is?
I know of two - one Freyja who is a teenager and one baby Fraya.

I think I may try the technique of using [name]Priya[/name] to a stranger and gaging the response!