What do you think of Sonora?

Hey Berries!

I’d love to hear your opinions on the name [name_f]Sonora[/name_f] (rhymes with [name_f]Nora[/name_f]–and it’s more of a “seh” or “sah” sound at the beginning, not “so”. I think I would pronounce it “sehnora”). What do you think?

[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] isn’t a made up name–it’s a place name and was also worn by [name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_m]Webster[/name_m] [name_m]Carver[/name_m], a famous horse diver (yes…horse diver!), which is where I heard it. I loved the movie about her life ([name_m]Wild[/name_m] Hearts Can’t be Broken) and must’ve watched it a billion times growing up! [name_f]Sonora[/name_f] is definitely a unique name, but I can’t decide if I love it so much because of the film, or because it’s a great name.

So…what do you think of [name_f]Sonora[/name_f]? Any middle name suggestions?

I feel that it is usable, and you do have a real love for the name and it’s association (much like with me and the name [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]). I feel like it’s usable, though you may have to say it a few times in order for other people to get it. They may think you’re saying [name_f]Senora[/name_f].

It’s usable, and your admiration of SWC is a nice story to pass on. But I think it will forever be linked to the place, you’ll get questions all the time (or maybe I’m just more familiar with Sonora California and wine country as I’m from the west coast.) But you will have the story in response, which is better than ‘i just liked it’. With Nora being a fairly common name, I’d assume you’ll have it misheard as that too. I know a little girl named Panina and everyone who meets her is like ‘Nina?’.

I think I’d give Sonora a more familiar middle in case she wants to go by that someday.

Sonora Grace
Sonora Quinn
Sonora Clare
Sonora June
Sonora Kate

[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] is a really lovely name! I would expect the girl to be Hispanic (not a bad thing, just an assumption). And, like [name_f]Kisa[/name_f] said, people will often think she is saying [name_f]Senora[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about the name [name_f]Nora[/name_f]? I think It would be great to put [name_f]Sonora[/name_f] on the birth certificate and her go by [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. That way, you get to use the name you love, but not have the problems associated with it.

I think of “sound*” or “voiced” because that’s how it’s used as a word in Spanish. A “banda sonora” or “guia sonora” is a soundtrack for instance. And it sounds like sonorous in English.
But that’s not necessarily bad. I remember watching that movie on VHS in school one day and I loved it. I think [name_f]Sonora[/name_f] could work, but it’s not for me because it reminds me of a word.

*Which I now realize is ironic in connection with the movie. I might be remembering wrong but didn’t she lose her hearing in a dive? Wait… nevermind. Sight, right? It’s been a [name_m]LONG[/name_m] time. Good movie though.

I love, love, love [name_f]Sonora[/name_f]! :slight_smile:
And my love for it first came from [name_m]Wild[/name_m] Hearts Can’t Be Broken!

I think it is definitely usable. I live in the rural southwest US, with a high Hispanic population, and one of my good friend’s mother’s was named [name_f]Sonora[/name_f], and no one ever confused it with the word señora.

Suggestions for FN/MN combos
[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]

It’s an alright name - I know it isn’t made up based on your explanation, but my first thought was that it was. Since you can’t explain the background of a name to everyone, a lot of people will think that, but I don’t think that should matter.

The bigger issue for me is when I look at it my brain goes to [name_f]Sonoma[/name_f] (i.e. [name_m]Williams[/name_m] [name_f]Sonoma[/name_f]). Not that [name_f]Sonoma[/name_f] has to be a bad association (it’s wine country afterall!!) but for me the connection to the retail store isn’t a positive one.

I’ve been thinking about this name lately too! And also loved the movie growing up. [name_f]Sonora[/name_f] is definitely usable, and I especially like that her nickname could be [name_f]Nora[/name_f] as a more familiar alternative, but I think [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] could be a really cute nickname too. :slight_smile: [name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]? [name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]? [name_f]Sonora[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]?

I think it looks really pretty, but it might get slurred to ‘snore-ah’. It’s also close to [name_f]Sonoma[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Annora[/name_f] and [name_f]Lenora[/name_f]. But I’d still think it was pretty if I met a [name_f]Sonora[/name_f].

[name_f]Sonora[/name_f] is one of those that I really want to like, but just can’t quite get there. Doesn’t make it unusable, but when I say/hear it, I think “snore-ah.” I loved the movie too as a little girl, but…dunno. [name_m]Just[/name_m] can’t get behind this one in real life, in spite of the good memories. I much prefer [name_f]Solange[/name_f] or [name_f]Samara[/name_f].