What do you think of Stellina May?

My grandmothers were named [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Marylou[/name]. Would like to think of ways to honor them.
However, I don’t like the name [name]Marylou[/name]. She was supposed to be born in [name]June[/name] and named [name]June[/name] but she was born early so her name was changed to [name]Marylou[/name](for the month of [name]May[/name]).
So I thought maybe [name]May[/name] or [name]Maia[/name] would work to honor her.
[name]Stellina[/name] is updated version of [name]Stella[/name] and I think I like it better than [name]Stella[/name].

What do you think of [name]Stellina[/name] [name]May[/name] Z----ner???

This personally is not my taste. I just don’t like the sound of it. I would prefer just [name]Stella[/name].

What about [name]Luella[/name]? “[name]Lu[/name]” from [name]MaryLou[/name] and “ella” from [name]Stella[/name]? Or [name]Marielle[/name]? “[name]Mar[/name]” from [name]MaryLou[/name] and “elle” from [name]Stella[/name]?

I love the idea of honoring both grandmothers but I just don’t love [name]Stellina[/name]. JMO though.

[name]Stellina[/name] is not my taste. I like [name]Stella[/name], though. If you don’t like [name]Stella[/name], you could find a name with a similar meaning (star), or you could find a name that uses some of the same letters (eg [name]Ella[/name]). I think [name]Marylou[/name] is cute, too. Personally, I would just use the names as is to honor your relatives. I really like these names without any ‘updates’ or ‘modernization’.

I love [name]Stella[/name] and would consider it for my baby, but a friend already named hers that a few years back. My only issue with [name]Stellina[/name] is that in Italian, -ina is a diminutive, and while “little star” is adorable for a young one, I wonder how the name would age? [name]Will[/name] she still be an -ina type in, say, her 30s and beyond? I love how you’re thinking of honoring your relatives with their names.

I think [name]Stellina[/name] is kind of interesting, but I would never name my own daughter that. She might hate it. I know my daughter [name]Laura[/name] would not like [name]Stellina[/name]. [name]Stella[/name] would be better. [name]Love[/name] another poster’s idea of [name]Luella[/name]. [name]Stella[/name] [name]May[/name] is very pretty, also [name]Estella[/name] [name]May[/name] nn [name]Stella[/name]. [name]Luella[/name] [name]May[/name] is maybe too much. I like
[name]Luella[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] better. [name]Mireille[/name] is pronounced meer-AY. Very pretty. Also love [name]Estelle[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]. Also [name]Estelle[/name] [name]Marina[/name].

I prefer [name]Stella[/name] [name]May[/name], which I think is very pretty. I do like the vintage charm of [name]Stellina[/name], though. :slight_smile:

More names to honor [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Marylou[/name]:

[name]Estella[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name] (combining part of [name]Marylou[/name] with part of [name]Stella[/name])
[name]Mariella[/name] (Dutch form of [name]Mary[/name] which honors both names)
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Marion[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I too prefer [name]Stella[/name] over [name]Stellina[/name]. I like [name]May[/name] though. Or have you considered one of the many versions of [name]Mary[/name]? [name]Marian[/name], [name]Mariel[/name], [name]Marit[/name], [name]Manon[/name], [name]Marin[/name], [name]Maura[/name], [name]Moira[/name], [name]Miriam[/name], [name]Marilla[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Marilyn[/name], [name]Maren[/name], [name]Mayra[/name].

I don’t like [name]Stellina[/name] [name]May[/name]. [name]Stella[/name] [name]May[/name] hands down way better. Also the name [name]Stellina[/name] reminds me a lot of the former Soviet leader Stalin then I start to think of the Cold War, Great Terror etc.

Hmmmm…No one seems to like [name]Stellina[/name] too much.
What if it is softened to Stelline???

If you want to “update” [name]Stella[/name], as you say, why not choose the sophisticated and beautiful [name]Estella[/name] rather than [name]Stellina[/name], which looks made-up in my opinion. [name]Estella[/name] is lovely.

[name]Estella[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Mariam[/name]
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Estella[/name] [name]Maybelle[/name]

Something like that?

Stelline sounds to me like some kind of medical supply or bathroom cleaner.

I liked the suggestion of a something like [name]Mariella[/name], [name]Estelle[/name] or [name]Estella[/name].

I do not care for [name]Stellina[/name] or Stelline (this option makes the Stalin association stronger, imo). I agree with pp that using the names as is may be the best way to honor the grandmothers. If that doesn’t appeal to you, I like the suggestion of [name]Mariella[/name] the best.

I also don’t like [name]Stellina[/name] (or Stelline). Sorry :frowning:

If I were going to honor [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Marylou[/name], I would name my daughter [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Estelle[/name]

Ditto. Same for Stelline. I cast my vote for [name]Estella[/name]!

I prefer [name]Estella[/name] or just [name]Stella[/name]…[name]May[/name] is OK as a middle name although I do prefer [name]Maia[/name], but [name]May[/name] probably sounds better with the first names you’re thinking of.