What do you think of the boy name Aramis?

Title says it all really :smiley: . I love [name_m]Dumas[/name_m]’ work (including, of course The Three Musketeers and sequels) and think [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] is a strong, “cool” name. But is it too much to use in real life? What do you think of when you hear [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]? What would you think of a little boy/teen/man who introduced himself as [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]?

Also, what middle names do you think would work well with [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]? I feel that if you’re going to go for an unusual first name, you should choose a more classic “easy to wear” middle just in case. Also, what nicknames? And sibling names would you imagine would go with [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]?

By the way, I’m not pregnant or thinking of having children. [name_m]Just[/name_m] got a love of unusual names! Thanks in advance guys :slight_smile:

I’d opt for Ariston…[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] sounds like a [name_m]French[/name_m] cologne or a girl’s name. It could work if the kid didn’t object to frequently explaining its origin.

@rkrd yeah, that’s what I thought - that it was so unusual that many maybe wouldn’t be familiar with the origins (unlike some other literature-based names). At least it’s not a completely bad association though - great character :slight_smile:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] when I’ve started getting into The Musketeers! Sticking with the literary theme here, and (for once) I’m going to suggest [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] as a sibling. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]! Or [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] and [name_m]Evander[/name_m], (maybe [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m]).
I quite like it with some more classic names: [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ([name_u]Love[/name_u] this), [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m], [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] or [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]. Or some less classic ones from my list (that also happen to end in o, and have 4 syllables): [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m], [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Fiorenzo[/name_m], or [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Valencio[/name_m]. I’ve also never heard of the cologne thing. And anyway, I like the name, and love the character!:slight_smile:

Thank you! Yes, someone told me it was a men’s cologne but I’ve never heard of it. Maybe it’s a [name_m]French[/name_m] cologne/just not around in [name_m]Britain[/name_m]? Ooh, I’ve never thought of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] but I actually quite like it. It does sound nice with [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]! [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is lovely, but I quite like [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] as well :slight_smile:

I immediately thought of the cologne, if it wasn’t for that I’d be all for it!

I think it sounds pretty cool, but I knew a horse with that name so I would personally nevere use it.

Thanks for the replies! I’ve never heard of the cologne [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]? Is it just me not noticing or is it a non-British thing?

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was the word amiss.

[name_m]Aramis[/name_m] is missing something but I can’t pinpoint what it’s missing.

I like [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]. I’ve never understood whether it was actually meant to be his surname/title though, like D’Artagnan’s is.

I kind of love it. It’s a wonderful sound and my favorite of the musketeers. I also think of [name_f]Aravis[/name_f] from the narnia books, although it’s nicer with an m to me. Good name, cool references…but possibly a bit much irl. MN definitely.

No, me neither! I just thought [name_m]Aramis[/name_m], Athos and [name_m]Porthos[/name_m] were their actual (as in first) names, and D’Artagnan chose to go by this name in honor/remembrance of his father?

I think it’s a usable name–but that may be because I know a 4 month old named [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] [name_m]Scott[/name_m]. I asked my husband what his first impression of the name was and he said he would always think first of the musketeer. If you like that connection, then I see no reason not to use it. [name_m]Aramis[/name_m] is most popularly known as a musketeer so it’s an inescapable association but I’d consider it a positive association.

I just want to add(having not read the other comments yet) that I think [name_u]Ari[/name_u] is a super usable nickname. A quick wiki search for [name_u]Ari[/name_u] will bring up a HUGE list of people and characters named [name_u]Ari[/name_u].

I know a little [name_m]Aramis[/name_m]! He thinks it’s cool that no one else has his name. He gets compliments on it all the time. The only thing I would say is that sometimes it sounds like he, or the other kids are saying “air-miss”. No biggie.

Thank you! [name_u]Ari[/name_u] is an adorable nickname :slight_smile: I’ve never heard of a cologne called [name_m]Aramis[/name_m], my thoughts have always just been of the Musketeer - definitely not the worst character to be named after though :slight_smile:

I think it might depend on where you are and where you’re from.
I actually think it would go over all right in Los [name_f]Angeles[/name_f] because it has a bit of a Latino vibe–I know men named: [name_m]Gustavo[/name_m], [name_m]Efren[/name_m], [name_m]Javier[/name_m], [name_m]Augustine[/name_m], [name_m]Emiliano[/name_m], [name_m]Arturo[/name_m], [name_m]Carlos[/name_m], [name_m]Armando[/name_m], [name_m]Pablo[/name_m], etc. So an [name_m]Aramis[/name_m], though unusual wouldn’t feel completely crazy.

[name_f]My[/name_f] main issue with it is that it sounds a bit like “error miss”