What do you think of the boy name Winston?

Are the connotations with [name]Winston[/name] [name]Churchill[/name] too strong?

I like [name]Winston[/name]! [name]Churchill[/name] is one association (but not a bad one), there’s also super cool [name]Winston[/name] in [name]George[/name] Orwell’s classic Nineteen-Eighty-Four.

Yes I think it is…I wouldn’t use it…I didn’t even want to use it for a dog

Personally, the cigarette brand comes to mind and Im not a smoker, I just remember the ads from when I was younger and they still were able to have ads (in the 90s). Idk if they are even made anymore, so maybe only people in the 30+ crowd would have this association.

To me it just sounds like a more retro version of [name]Weston[/name], which is definitely in right now. I kind of forgot about the [name]Churchill[/name] connection until you mentioned it.

I like it. It’s a distinguished name. It does call to mind [name]Churchill[/name] but I wouldn’t say the connotations are too strong.

I think I like it. I definitely like the [name]Churchill[/name] connections, but he doesn’t immediately come to mind when I see the name.

I don’t think [name]Winston[/name] draws up too much of the [name]Churchill[/name] connotation. I say go for it!!

[name]Winston[/name]= the kid of my coworker, a local bar that makes fantastic Bloody [name]Mary[/name]'s, a clean-cut name, cigarettes, and, oh yeah, [name]Churchill[/name]! Connotations depend upon circumstances. This name is broad enough for you to use if you love it!

I automatically think of [name]Churchill[/name], then think of the character from 1984. But I’m a history/ literature geek. Overall I like the name! [name]Churchill[/name] was an extremely interesting person.

I too think of the 1984 character and then [name]Churchill[/name]. I didn’t really like that book, so [name]Winston[/name] has never warmed on me, but I think it’s a fine name and not too strongly tied to something to use. If you are concerned about the associations, what about [name]Winslow[/name]? I think the artist with that last name is more obscure than [name]Churchill[/name], and it has that nice O ending.

Yes I think [name]Churchill[/name]. But he’s a great namesake! I imagine a person named [name]Winston[/name] might smell like leather and old books, speak a couple of ancient languages, and have a powerful laugh.
I like the suggestion of [name]Winslow[/name] too. Maybe [name]Wynton[/name], for something jazzier.

I had a really cool guinea pig named [name]Winston[/name] when I was younger. I think it’s a really cool name, and I didn’t make the [name]Churchill[/name] connection until I opened the thread.

Interesting question. I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Winston[/name] BECAUSE of [name]Winston[/name] [name]Churchill[/name]. The man was a hero, and brilliant, and fascinating. And yes, I wrote my master’s thesis on masculinity during WWII. I have always wanted to use the name [name]Winston[/name] because of [name]Winston[/name] [name]Churchill[/name] but wondered if the name was too sissy in the states for a boy. I have a Cowen and an [name]Eli[/name]–both sound so masculine to me, but [name]Winston[/name]? [name]Winnie[/name]? [name]Win[/name]? I just don’t know.

Still–love the [name]Churchill[/name] connection and the name is getting more popular.

My first association was to the character on [name]Fox[/name]'s “[name]New[/name] Girl” ([name]Zooey[/name] Deschanel’s show that is in its second season). [name]Winston[/name] is a young, hip dude on that show.

[name_f]Love[/name_f] it! We’d use it but it doesn’t go with our last name.

I think the name [name_m]Winston[/name_m] is strong, handsome and distinguished. [name_m]Winston[/name_m] [name_m]Churchill[/name_m] lead [name_m]Britain[/name_m] during wartime so he’s a great namesake.

It reminds me of “[name_m]New[/name_m] Girl”

“Puuuzzzling!”