What do you think of the name Cedric ?

I’m having a girl, but if I was to have a boy in the future I would name him [name]Cedric[/name], just wondering what everyone else thought. His sister’s name is going to be [name]Liliana[/name] or [name]Eliana[/name].

I really like [name]Cedric[/name]:slight_smile: It sounds grown up and proper but I could easily see it on a little boy as ‘[name]Ced[/name]’ and I think it goes well with [name]Liliana[/name] or [name]Eliana[/name].

I dislike this name. I love your girls names.

Ugh, no way could I use [name]Cedric[/name].

My sister had a [name]Cedric[/name] in her class in high school (said CEE-dric). I think his parents were french or something - at least that’s the excuse he usually used. I always thought it was a shame he felt he had to excuse his name! While he was well liked, even still every time people said his name they would snicker. Fortunately he managed to be cool / popular despite his name - certainly not because of it!

I guess someone called [name]Cedric[/name] could go as [name]Ric[/name] or [name]Rick[/name] and just hope no one discovers his secret identity :wink:

Opinions aside though, if you like a name you should go for it. People get used to unusual names pretty quickly.

Over here we say it as [name]Said[/name] [name]Rick[/name] not Seed rick.

Yup, I would pronounce it [name]SAID[/name]-[name]Rick[/name] too not SEED - [name]Rick[/name]

Seed - [name]Rick[/name], I hate, but I think [name]Said[/name] - [name]Rick[/name] sounds like an intelligent, gentleman which is why I like it.

This name sort of surprises me. I try to think of it in objective terms, but my initial reaction is ew, never. But I let it get to me, there’s no good reason to avoid this name. I think because it resembles [name]Frederick[/name], another name which was out of favor but which I think is now very appealing, why not [name]Cedric[/name]?

It is certainly no weirder than [name]Oscar[/name] or [name]Jasper[/name], and people like those names (I don’t really agree, but that’s a different story). I think [name]Cedric[/name] sounds a lot more distinguished and not so hipster quirky as the other names I mentioned. It’s different from the current popular pools of names, but there’s nothing I can say that is wrong with it. Plus, [name]Frederick[/name] has taken my lifetime to really come back into favor (at least with me, as I meet a [name]Fred[/name] every once in a while), as other classic names like [name]Robert[/name] and [name]Paul[/name] become less popular. [name]Fred[/name] doesn’t sound like such a washout to me as it did when I was younger. I also though [name]George[/name] was an “old” name that people are starting to reconsider. At least the way I catalogue names by “age,” [name]George[/name] and [name]Fred[/name] kind of went by the wayside around the same time, and were real “dad” kind of names, where [name]George[/name] is starting to come up as appealing to more and more people, I think [name]Frederick[/name] is also a really fine name that could stand to return. That’s all well and fine if you were asking about [name]Frederick[/name]!

I think [name]Cedric[/name], while not related, can’t be too far behind, and in some ways may be ahead. I think I relate it more in my personal index to names like [name]Cyrus[/name] and [name]Malcolm[/name]. It has a certain distinctive flair, while not too weird or wild or edgy or trendy, is certainly a literary connection (nameberry says it was invented by Sir [name]Walter[/name] [name]Scott[/name] for an [name]Ivanhoe[/name] character in 1819, so it’s not extremely old - I think 190 years is a while though); I feel it has a sort of classic appeal, and “originality” appeal, while not being yoo-neek and flavor of the day.

I’m sorry, but I don’t like it. I think part of the problem is that when you say it out loud (at least the way I think most people will pronounce it), you don’t actually hear said-rick but rather sedge-rick.
There’s just something sort of dweeby about it to me, and I’m not sure I can even put my finger on exactly why.

I much prefer [name]Frederick[/name], or even [name]Eric[/name].

I love cedric. I think of an intelligent, well-mannered academic who makes his students laugh!

I think it’s a nice-sounding name, but it inevitably makes me think of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. If that connection doesn’t bother you, then go for it!

Nope, sorry. Sounds unintelligent to me, a trouble maker.

I’m not a fan of [name]Cedric[/name]. It seems dowdy to me if a boys’ name can be dowdy. I do think of the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] character, but also of [name]Cedric[/name] the Entertainer. I can’t really picture it on a young child, and much less on an teenager. I think you could find a better name to go with [name]Eliana[/name] or [name]Liliana[/name].

[name]Cedric[/name] - what might have been an uncool name was resurrected by the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] books (#4 - The [name]Tri[/name]-[name]Wizard[/name] Tournament to be specific) I think SEE-DRICK and [name]SAID[/name]-[name]RICK[/name] are both nice, depending on your last name (and the middle names you are considering).

You may want to pick a standard middle name, to give the child a choice when he is older. That way, if he doesn’t like his first name, he can always go by [name]William[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] or [name]Anthony[/name].

I like [name]Cedric[/name]! It makes me think of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], but that’s not a bad thing!

I adore [name]Cedric[/name] - it is handsome, unusual, and strong without being harsh. I like [name]Eliana[/name], too, and absolutely lovely [name]Liliana[/name] - I think [name]Liliana[/name] and [name]Cedric[/name] would make charming siblings.