What do you think of the name Murphy for a girl?

[name]Murphy[/name] as a girl’s first name…what do you think? Too masculine? Plain stupid? Cute? Kitschy? Modern? What kind of person do you associate with the name [name]Murphy[/name]?

Not my style, sorry. To me, it’s a surname. I wouldn’t use it for a boy, either. Sounds kind of dopey.

I honestly think of [name]Murphy[/name] [name]Brown[/name], which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I loved that show, but I’m not sure I’d want a name that is so strongly associated with a character/TV show title.

Good luck!

I actually know a toddler named [name]Murphy[/name]. Once I got over the shock of it, I thought it was kind of cute on her. Not my style, however. If you like it, I would go with a decisively feminine middle name.

I’m used to hearing it on a girl because I have P.E with someone whose last name is [name]Murphy[/name] and our teacher calls everyone by their surnames so she is [name]Murphy[/name] to me. I like it but not enough to encourage someone to actually name their daughter [name]Murphy[/name]. I think it could work well as a mn though!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I think it is more of a boy’s name, if a first name at all. Masculine, and reminds me of that saying “[name]Murphy[/name]'s [name]Law[/name]” Sorry :0(

Uhhh, im not to sure. I think of Murphys [name]Law[/name], folled by [name]Eddie[/name] [name]Murphy[/name], then all the bad connotations i have with eddie murphy (the whole illegitamate child, transexual hooker thing). I can see it as a girl name, but i think it more to be a boys name. Good luck!

I think it has an unpleasant sound overall and looks awkward. I think that is why people think it is better for a boy. [name]Murphy[/name] [name]Brown[/name], I don’t think she loved her name. I am trying to verify that on youtube. It has a spunky kind of sound, I suppose, but not enough to choose it. It seems fit for a dog to me. Very quirky, but not in a great way. I also think of [name]Murray[/name] and Muffy, and yet not an improvement over either of them.

its just really really bad

[name]Murphy[/name]… Murph… Smurf… maybe I only made the Smurf connection because it’s 4 a.m. but I’m sorry I don’t like the sound of it at all, esp. not for a girl.

HAHAH I have to laugh because my dog’s name is [name]Murphy[/name] (named after a bar by Wrigley [name]Field[/name] in Chicago) and we call him Smurf (among many other things ;)), so I don’t think your connection is too off base.

Having said that, I obviously think of [name]Murphy[/name] as a dog name or a surname (like [name]Murray[/name]). But on celebritybabyblog about a year or so ago a wrestler (Triple X) and his wife had their second daughter and named her [name]Murphy[/name], so it’s not unheard of.

I’ve never seen or heard of the programme [name]Murphy[/name] [name]Brown[/name] and I actually have no association with the name but I think it is really cool and sort of kitschy, I love it! :slight_smile:

If you like more masculine names for a girl-there are better ones than [name]Murphy[/name]-[name]IMO[/name] at least.

Where I live, a lot of people have the surname [name]Murphy[/name], so it’s not unusual to me. I think it’s cute, but I wouldn’t use it.

I’d rather be named [name]Murphy[/name] than [name]Kayleigh[/name] or [name]Nevaeh[/name]…

NOT for a girl, sorry

[name]ITA[/name] with that.

While I find it very masculine, I did know a girl named [name]Murphy[/name]. She was very well-liked and very nice. The name fit her very well, as she was goth. She’s who I think of when I hear this name-- but I wouldn’t use it for a girl, personally.

Sorry but I don’t like it at all. I find it v masculine and trying too hard to be trendy.