What do you think of these for baby #4 (second girl)

A couple of weeks ago I posted looking for some ideas on what I was pretty sure was going to be baby girl number 2. Since then we’ve confirmed that we will indeed be welcoming a new little girl in early [name_u]December[/name_u]. Here older siblings are [name_u]Dillon[/name_u], [name_u]Liam[/name_u], and [name_f]Alice[/name_f].

We have a pretty large list of unusable (we are trying not to use the name of any known living relatives) or discarded names, but I think I finally have a good start.

Our last name is [name_u]Bell[/name_u].

Caroline. This is the front runner for my husband I think. He prefers [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] over [name_f]Coraline[/name_f] or [name_f]Coralie[/name_f].
-[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
-[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
-[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (I know this combo gets used quite a bit, but I do think it’s rather pretty)

Matilda. This one comes and goes from my list. Some days I really love it, and others I worry that it’s a little aggressive sounding I guess?
-[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
-[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (Another [name_f]Grace[/name_f] pairing, I think it softens [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] a bit though)

Lydia. Another and comes and goes. I do really like [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], but so far my husband doesn’t seem to care for it.
-[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
-[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Jeanne[/name_u]

Valerie. I like the possibility of [name_u]Vale[/name_u] as a nickname here. This is another that I like that my husband doesn’t seem to care much for.
-[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] [name_u]Anne[/name_u]
-[name_f]Valerie[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]

Holly or [name_f]Hayley[/name_f]. I do wonder if naming a [name_u]December[/name_u] baby [name_u]Holly[/name_u] is too overdone or predictable though?
-[name_u]Holly[/name_u]/Hayley [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
-[name_u]Holly[/name_u]/Hayley [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]

What do you think?

Also happy to hear your ideas. For firsts, not too interested in rhyming or alliteration with our last name, or anything that would inevitably be shortened to something sing songy (ie [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] shortened to [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] Belly or [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] to [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] Bellodie). Also trying to avoid anything that sounds like one name when you say the first and last together (ie [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] becomes [name_f]Clarabelle[/name_f] [like the cow from [name_u]Mickey[/name_u] Mouse Clubhouse] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] becomes Maribell). For middles, we don’t mind “filler” names, and actually like quite a few of them. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t want to go too far outside the box for either firsts or middles as my husband tends to lean toward names that are familiar on the traditional/classic side, and that is a fight that I’m not likely to win.

I love [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] with [name_f]Alice[/name_f]! [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] could go by [name_u]Mattie[/name_u], [name_f]Tillie[/name_f], or [name_f]Tilda[/name_f].

I do think that a [name_u]December[/name_u] baby named [name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] would be too much. :confused:

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]

2 Likes

I really like [name_u]Holly[/name_u] and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] is too close to [name_u]Liam[/name_u].

Dillon, [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and

Eve
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_u]Julie[/name_u]
[name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Tilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Frida[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Cara[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], but unfortunately those both are in use by family members (one is a cousin of mine and the other is one of our 10(!) nieces. I hadn’t considered [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] though.

I wish we could use some of these! Having a large family makes it hard to find a unique name though. :expressionless: [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f] are all too similar to close family members, and most of the rest I’ve already run past my husband and he didn’t care for them. We’ve been though a ton of names, unfortunately, he’s really picky.

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] is my favorite from your list, but Operation [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] Bells was the name of a [name_u]Navy[/name_u]/CIA/NSA mission during the Cold War (I learned pretty quickly while naming our last daughter to do a quick google search on potential names just to avoid any surprises). I haven’t decided yet if that bothers me or not. I also have the same concern about [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] as I do [name_u]Holly[/name_u]. A [name_u]December[/name_u] baby named [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]? Too festive?

I vote for [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u].

What about …
[name_f]Ashlyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Norah[/name_f]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]

1 Like

I hadn’t considered [name_f]Ashlyn[/name_f] yet. That might be one that doesn’t get an immediate no from hubby. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] are already in use. [name_f]Nora/name_f has already been vetoed (twice. I had it on my short list when we were naming [name_f]Alice[/name_f]), and [name_u]Eden[/name_u] and [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] aren’t his style. [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] was also on my short list but now I have two little nieces with [name_f]Rose[/name_f] names and I wonder if the whole [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] association would still come up.

I want to love [name_f]Helena[/name_f]. I have tried so hard, but [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]. I hear Hell in a [name_u]Bell[/name_u] in my head and I can’t get over it. :confused:

My favorite from your list is [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u], and I also like [name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u] and [name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]. What about…

Olivia [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Kali[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Quincy[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]

Matilda [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Kali[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Tessie[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Wylie[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]

Holly [name_u]Drew[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Trixie[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]

Hayley [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_u]Tiernan[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] [name_f]Rafaella[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]

LMK what you think!!

1 Like

Tried editing my post several times, but kept getting the server error.

Regarding [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]:

With this one I thought it would be fun to try to incorporate elements of her siblings names into a name for her as this will likely be out last one and there will be a larger gap between her and A than there is between D, L, and A (4.5 years instead of 2.5). Starts with L like [name_u]Liam[/name_u] and has a single syllable J middle name like [name_u]Dillon[/name_u] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] (well…[name_u]Dillon[/name_u]’s middle name starts with a G, but it sounds like a J). I also considered [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] and [name_f]Liesl[/name_f].

I’ll have to go back through and look harder at some of those middle names!

Unfortunately, [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Kali[/name_f] (though she spells it differently) and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] are already in use. Mostly by family. We have a fairly large one with lots of nieces and cousins, and we’re trying not to use the same names or anything too similar to what we already have going on. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] got a no twice (it was on my list when we were naming [name_f]Alice[/name_f] as well), and I don’t think I’d ever convince my husband to go for [name_u]Quincy[/name_u] as cute as it is!

I do like [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. Operation [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] Bells was the name of a [name_u]Navy[/name_u]/CIA/NSA mission during the Cold War though, and I haven’t decided yet if that bothers me or not.

1 Like

Caroline, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] are all great names. [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] to my ear works best w [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], [name_f]Hayley[/name_f] and [name_u]Holly[/name_u] seem dated to me.

1 Like

Dillion, [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], and [name_u]Holly[/name_u] (DLAH)

Holly is the cutest! This is perfect for december baby!

Dillion, [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], and [name_f]Hayley[/name_f] (DLAH)

I would not recommend this. [name_f]Hayley[/name_f] is too common. And I don’t think this would work it out with your other 3 kids.

Dillion, [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], and [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] (DLAC)

THIS ONE IS PERFECTLY! [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is an old-fashioned, so [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] is as well. [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]… bingo!
[name_m]Dillion[/name_m], [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] (DLAL)

I like [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] because of the dainty vibes and not too fumbles. I’m not trying to be mean but I would like to tell my opinion. You could not care about my opinion. [name_u]Liam[/name_u] and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], the double L, so it will not be recommend.

Dillion, [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] (DLAM)

Matilda… I really like this one! [name_m]How[/name_m] about
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Arie[/name_u]? [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Cove[/name_u]?

Dillion, [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], and [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] (DLAV)

Valerie is modernist name just as [name_f]Veronica[/name_f]. [name_f]Valerie[/name_f] is a beautiful name but your another 3 kids are giving me an 80s/90s vibes. You may could use an old-fashioned name?

1 Like

I like the nickname [name_u]Mattie[/name_u], so I’m cool with [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f].
[name_f]Hayley[/name_f] is cute but there are many out there. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], [name_f]Haddie[/name_f], or [name_f]Hattie[/name_f]?

1 Like

I like [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] the best :slight_smile: [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] came to mind.

I would avoid [name_u]Holly[/name_u] or [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] with the last name [name_u]Bell[/name_u]. It does sound too Christmasy unless you dont mind that!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] and [name_u]Holly[/name_u] for you +

1 Like