What do you think of these names? (I'm new here!)

Hi everyone! I’m [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], and I’m new here. I’ve been reading the Nameberry blog posts for a while and didn’t know they had forums until recently! I’m not sure if this is only for expecting parents, or if people who just really like chatting about names are allowed here too. If anyone would let me know how things work around here that would be great!
Anyway, what do you all think of these names?
[name_f]Mabli[/name_f] - is this pronounced like mab-lee or may-blee? Either way I think it’s cool.
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] - I didn’t actually know this was popular. I kind of like it, so that’s a bit of a shame.
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f] - I just met a little girl named [name_f]Fiora[/name_f]. I think it’s a cool alternative to [name_f]Fiona[/name_f].
[name_f]Lois[/name_f] - Is this too much of an old-lady name? I really like it though, especially with the middle name [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] or [name_u]Marion[/name_u] (am I the only one here who randomly comes up with first and middle name combinations in my spare time?)
Thanks for reading!

3 Likes

Welcome! :blush: To get started, I’d recommend Welcome to the Nameberry community!, there are some great tips there. Anyone who loves names is welcome! You don’t have to be expecting.

About the names:

Mabli - I say mab-lee. Lovely name!
Luna - The popularity is a little sad for me too!
Fiora - Really sweet! I like it.
Lois - It is a little dated to me, but it’s usable nonetheless.

And no, you’re not the only one :slight_smile: We all love sharing and coming up with combos!

Also, if you have any site-related questions, feel free to ask any of us or head to the #all-about-nameberry section :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], welcome to the forums! :relaxed: Nameberry is open to anyone and everyone who likes names, not just parents! (And you aren’t the only one who comes up with combos in your spare time, many of us do too :grin:)

[name_f]Mabli[/name_f] – I pronounce it like may-blee. It’s sweet.
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] – I love the “moon” meaning, but it’s too popular for my tastes.
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f] — Not my style, but sweet
[name_f]Lois[/name_f] — Vintage and pretty :blush: I like [name_f]Lois[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u]!

3 Likes

I like all the names but I’ve never heard of [name_f]Mabli[/name_f] (in my brain I say [name_f]May[/name_f]-blee or [name_f]Mable[/name_f]-lee). [name_f]Lois[/name_f] and [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] sound very old/romantic/french which I like, as if they could be sisters.

1 Like

@halinka and @planetnames and @grace.gadol Thanks for your replies!

2 Likes

A very good majority is the latter, including me :grin: [name_f]Welcome[/name_f]!

[name_f]Mabli[/name_f] - I’ve heard mab-lee. I like its quirky feel.
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] - beautiful and mysterious. Popularity is a shame.
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f] - It’s nice although I prefer [name_f]Liora[/name_f] or [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] personal preference, though.
[name_f]Lois[/name_f] - It does have an old lady feel and that’s why I like it :grin: It’s simple and cute!

Haha no that’s my life :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome to NB! These forums are as much for expecting parents as name lovers!

Mabli - this is one of my absolute favourites. So cute and quirky-I pronounce it mab-lee

Luna is bright and sweet - I’ve never actually met one

Fiora is brilliant. Fiesty and cool!

Lois is warm and sweet! I love it! [name_f]Lois[/name_f] [name_u]Marion[/name_u] and [name_f]Lois[/name_f] [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] are unexpected and sleek

I think a lot of here love making combos

2 Likes

Hello! Definitely a lot of people here who just like to talk about names, no shame in that! I go by [name_u]Night[/name_u]!

Mabli- Actually adorable, it reminds me of [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_m]Mobley[/name_m] from The Help. I would say it may-BLEE.

Luna- I’m sad about it too :sob: I love Spanish names so much (I’m Puerto Rican, I love a lot of names from my heritage) and this has been one of my long time favorites. Unfortunately I just do not like names to be popular, at least for first names.

Fiora- Super pretty! I prefer this to [name_f]Fiona[/name_f].

Lois- Not a huge fan of [name_f]Lois[/name_f], I prefer either [name_u]Louise[/name_u] or that Spanish version Loida. Nothing wrong with the name, just personal preference.

Marisol- Another gorgeous Spanish name! Feels very romantic and light but strong.

Marion- I love [name_u]Marion[/name_u]! It deserves more love. (Also definitely not the only one who makes combos for the fun of it :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Welcome, [name_f]Annabel[/name_f]!

Mabli- the correct pronunciation is mab-lee as far as I know, but I could be wrong. Very cool name! I’m a fan :smiley::+1:t2:
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]- yes, very popular right now! I don’t know any personally, but I’m not around too many young kids. I’ve come across tons on social media, though! As far as my opinion on the name, it’s not my favourite personally.
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f]- very pretty and very cool!
[name_f]Lois[/name_f]- such a hug of a name :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: it is very “old-lady”, but I think it’s really sweet and completely usable. How cute would this be on a little girl?! :pleading_face:

1 Like

trust me, you’re definitely not :wink: I speak from experience

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to the community! I’m [name_f]Anna[/name_f] :blush:
lovely names! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and [name_f]Fiora[/name_f]. I do think [name_f]Lois[/name_f] is a little dated, but vintage names are a pretty huge trend right now, so you could definitely get away with it. [name_f]Mabli[/name_f] is also really pretty!

1 Like

Hi welcome to Nameberry! You are most definitely not the only one who makes name combos in your spare time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Mabli - I would pronounce it like Mah-blee.
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] - [name_f]Luna[/name_f] isn’t at all that popular where I live!
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f] - [name_f]Fiora[/name_f] is adorable and a great alternative to [name_f]Fiona[/name_f].
[name_f]Lois[/name_f] - I don’t find it dated at all, but that’s probably just because my naming style is dated! If it is too dated, it could always be a nickname to [name_f]Heloise[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] or [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] at a stretch. [name_f]Lois[/name_f] [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] is beautiful.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to Nameberry! No, most of us make up combos in our spare time :rofl: I certainly do!!

Mabli- very cool! I’d say mab-lee.
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]- not popular where I am, and what an adorable name!
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f]- much cooler than [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]! I’ve loved it for a while now!
[name_f]Lois[/name_f]- a but dated, yes, but [name_f]Lois[/name_f] [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] is very pretty. The repeated -iss sound does kind of put me off of it, though?

Nameberry is open to all namelovers, not just parents and expecting parents! :grin:

1 Like

Welcome, [name_f]Annabel[/name_f]! I’m [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

The forums are for anyone who wants to talk about names. (You are also definitely not the only one who comes up with first and middle name combinations.)

Mabli- I pronounce it [name_f]May[/name_f]-blee (although I think [name_f]Mab[/name_f]-blee is the correct pronunciation). I think it’s sweet either way! I love the meaning and its offbeat sound.

Luna- This is a very appealing name! It’s simple, pleasant sounding, and has a lovely meaning. While I don’t pay much attention to the name, I do like it. (Yes, it is quite popular; I think it has a lot of qualities that modern parents look for in names!)

Fiora- I love [name_f]Fiora[/name_f]! It has a gorgeous sound and is simple to spell and pronounce without being overused. I also love its similarity to [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], which is a name I love.

Lois- While it’s slightly dated, I think it’s sweet and usable on a little girl. I always think of [name_f]Lois[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] as a young woman when I hear this name. [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] and [name_u]Marion[/name_u] are great choices for the middle name!

1 Like

Hi there.

I’m not an expectant parent at all, & I spend way too much time coming up with fn/mn combinations just for fun. :blush:

Here are my thoughts on your list:

Mabli-This is growing on me. I think it’s cute & a little exotic. I say [name_f]May[/name_f]-blee, but not sure if that’s right? It’s much prettier than [name_f]Mab[/name_f]-lee in my opinion.

Luna-I’m not a huge fan. It just feels a little trendy. I’ve never actually met a human named this, but it’s just about every dog’s name.

Fiora-That is cool. I’ve never really given it much thought, but it’s pretty & exotic & strong. It does have a lot of similar qualities to [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. And I am in love w/the name [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]. [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is the beautiful angel in my profile picture. :grin: :dog:

Lois-I don’t think that the fact that it’s an old lady name is the problem. I like a lot of old lady names, but [name_f]Lois[/name_f] just seems sort of bland to me.

Marisol or [name_u]Marion[/name_u]-[name_f]Marisol[/name_f] is lovely. Kind of exotic, feminine w/out being frilly, smart & bold. It’s unique too, but not overly complicated. As for [name_u]Marion[/name_u], I’m going to be really picky here. I find [name_u]Marian[/name_u] super sweet, but [name_u]Marion[/name_u] just looks off & more serious somehow.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to Nameberry! :slight_smile:

Fiora is lovely! [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] and [name_u]Marion[/name_u] are, too. And I like [name_f]Lois[/name_f], even if it’s still pretty dated – it should be making a comeback in a decade or two. Personally, not a huge fan of [name_f]Mabli[/name_f] or [name_f]Luna[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f]! :blush:

[name_f]Mabli[/name_f] - I would pronounce it mab-lee. I think it’s a really fun, quirky choice!
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] - gentle and sweet!
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f] - I prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. (I always misread [name_f]Fiora[/name_f] as [name_f]Flora[/name_f] anyway.)
[name_f]Lois[/name_f] - I know a little [name_f]Lois[/name_f], and she wears it well! Still not my cup of tea, but it’s definitely usable!

1 Like