What do you think of these names, would a child be teased?

Would like to get some feedback :confused:

We are a Swedish couple waiting our first daughter. Possibly we may move to an English-speaking country in the future due to mu husbands job.
We are thinking of [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] or [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] for the baby. They are traditional Swedish names and is very common among children here. But how do they work in English. [name_f]Do[/name_f] the names sound too strange?

I would be so happy if you could tell me what you feel about [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f].

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is perfectly normal sounding to me (American). I have never heard of [name_f]Ebba[/name_f], it does sound a bit unique and it doesn’t sound particularly feminine to me, but I don’t think its strange enough to be teased over.

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. It’s a name of great history including the late Swedish-born [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] of Belgium. The only problem I see for this name is the first syllable. It resembles a common English word “ass” (donkey or derriere). [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] may run into pronunciation problems so you may get “eh-buh”, “ee-buh” or “ebb-uh”. Most people would soon get the hang of it if they’re corrected.

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is much debated as a “bad” name in English because the first syllable is slang for the backside. However, it is more common & familiar sounding here in [name_u]America[/name_u] than [name_f]Ebba[/name_f]. [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] might be mistaken for [name_f]Emma[/name_f] which is very popular here. I think either name works well enough when it comes to pronunciation issues. If you like them both equally I guess my vote would go to [name_f]Ebba[/name_f], cause I think it’s unique in a good way and you won’t have to worry about teasing.

I think [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] works well because it looks similar enough to [name_f]Emma[/name_f] for comfort.

I knew an [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and agree it would be the more familiar of the 2 names. I never liked her name and though I never made the ‘ass’ connection (as she was way older than I am)… I would go with [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] as the safer choice.

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is pretty family to a lot of English speakers so I’d have no hesitation about using it. [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] is more unusual and while I think people could pronounce it, it might be more subject to teasing just because it’s less familiar.

I think both names are beautiful! [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is lovely, a name that’s on my own short list, and English speakers would be able to pronounce it perfectly. [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] might be harder for people to pronounce, but I doubt any little [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] would get teased over her name. Best of luck!

I like [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] better. I have never liked the name [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], and the beginning of the name has always turned me off to it. [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] is cute.

I love [name_f]Ebba[/name_f]! [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] was used quite often in my country in the 70’s and therefore sounds a bit dated.

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is familiar. [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] is a little odd. I prefer [name_f]Etta[/name_f] which may appeal to you.

I think they’re both fine, particularly [name_f]Ebba[/name_f]. I’ve never heard it before and I think it’s lovely. It also reminds me of [name_m]ABBA[/name_m], which gives it brownie points in my book. :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Ebba[/name_f]. It makes me think of [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and I really like that name.

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] personally. Triddy would be a cute nn. [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] reminds me of [name_m]Abba[/name_m]. I don’t really foresee any teasing-- it’s just unusual. I prefer [name_f]Etta[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] would both work just fine in an English-speaking country. They wouldn’t be that out of place in my part of the US.

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is alright I just don’t like the sound. [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] sounds nicknamey to me but that just could be because it is similar to my name. I don’t think a child would be teased though.

I saw [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] as a name decorated on a wall in some home magazine or blog in a child’s room and my first thought was “Whaaaat?” And then I couldn’t stop thinking about it, and it’s definitely grown on me. (I also passed a street called [name_f]Elba[/name_f], and that’s grown on me too. Originally I only liked [name_f]Elva[/name_f], [name_f]Eris[/name_f] and [name_f]Erin[/name_f] as 4 letter E names.) I’m not a big fan of [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. A long time ago on here I saw someone point out it sounds similar to a$$ turd, and I was put off after that. Unfortunate, because it is a good name. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]?

I like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] a lot, and [name_f]Ebba[/name_f]'s fine—not my favorite, but a fine name.

However, [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] once mentioned that her Swedish family pronounces [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] like As-TREE, I think, while in the US we generally say AS-tridd.

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]- it sounds so crisp and fresh and unique, feminine but not froufrou. I find [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] a bit clunky but it does have charm. Not sure about [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] but my friend’s middle name is [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and she said people would call her “asteroid”. The “as-TREE” pronunciation is so pretty! Never heard it before though. I would love to meet an [name_f]Astrid[/name_f].

Thank you for your thoughts about [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]. We like [name_f]Ebba[/name_f] most.

We also considered [name_f]Alma[/name_f] or [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], they are also popular baby names here (ranked 29 vs 12) but I guess in UK and US they are seen as dated names, or?

Some of you have suggested [name_f]Etta[/name_f], in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] it would be strange to have this name because [name_f]Etta[/name_f] is the same as the number one.

I’ve never once heard [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] debated for those reasons. It’s not even pronounced the same way.