What do you think of these names?

I’ve got four names floating around in my head lately, and thought I would get some unbiased opinions from you kind people! What do you think? We like:

[name]Maire[/name] (Irish version of [name]Mary[/name])
[name]Mabel[/name]/[name]Maible[/name]
[name]Maisy[/name]
[name]Minnie[/name]
[name]Minna[/name]

Some we both like, some one less than the other. Thoughts?
Thanks!

I totally adore [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Maire[/name], and [name]Minna[/name]. [name]Maisie[/name] is cute, but too nickname-ish to me. [name]Minnie[/name] I would use strictly as a nickname (for [name]Minna[/name]?). I love the nickname [name]May[/name] for [name]Mabel[/name].

[name]Maire[/name] – beautiful, but at first glance it lookes like [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]/[name]Maible[/name] – I like [name]Mabel[/name], don’t care for the spelling [name]Maible[/name] at all
[name]Maisy[/name] – very cute!
[name]Minnie[/name] – like a lot. [name]Minnie[/name] is a little too nicknamey for me, even though I do know people use it as a stand alone name…sweet name, though
[name]Minna[/name] – feels kind of incomplete, but I still like it.

[name]Maire[/name] (Irish version of [name]Mary[/name]): OK
[name]Mabel[/name]/[name]Maible[/name]: Never been a fan
[name]Maisy[/name]: [name]Love[/name] [name]Maisy[/name]! [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Margaret[/name], nicknmae [name]Maisy[/name]?
[name]Minnie[/name]: Cute
[name]Minna[/name]: Ok, could use [name]Minnie[/name] as a nickname for her.

My favorite is [name]Maisy[/name].

Good luck!

My favorites of your choices (in this order) are [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Maire[/name] then [name]Maisy[/name]. I’m not a big fan of [name]Minnie[/name] or [name]Minna[/name]. Good luck :slight_smile:

So it seems that everyone really likes [name]Maisy[/name]…do you think it will be too popular? Have you heard of many little girls named [name]Maisy[/name] lately? Also, what do you think of the middle name “[name]Beatrix[/name].” It means “She who brings happiness/blessing” and I think it is beautiful. I still like all the other names and would welcome more feedback or suggestions for names if you’ve got it, as well as feedback on suggestions for middle names if not [name]Beatrix[/name]. Thanks Nameberries!!!

[name]Maire[/name] (Irish version of [name]Mary[/name]) – Personally, I would only use this in the middle spot because I think it would be constantly misread as [name]Marie[/name]. Not my favourite, but it’s okay.

[name]Mabel[/name]/[name]Maible[/name] – I have a soft spot for [name]Mabel[/name]; it’s such a sweet, gentle sounding name. Dislike the [name]Maible[/name] spelling, though.

[name]Maisy[/name] – My cousin recently named a daughter this (different spelling) and has gotten some very mixed reactions to it so far. Personally, I think it sounds both trendy and a tad too nicknamey.

[name]Minnie[/name] – Works only as a nickname in my opinion. I really like the idea of using this as a nn for [name]Minerva[/name], actually.

[name]Minna[/name] – Not an offensive name in any way, but somehow this one seems a little bland and forgettable to me.

Also, I love [name]Beatrix[/name].

[name]Maire[/name] (Irish version of [name]Mary[/name]) - [name]How[/name] is this pronounced? I don’t like this too much. I think of horses.
[name]Mabel[/name]/[name]Maible[/name] - I love it when spelled [name]Mabel[/name]. :slight_smile:
[name]Maisy[/name] - I think it’s cute, but I like the more popular spelling [name]Maisie[/name] much more.
[name]Minnie[/name] - Cute!
[name]Minna[/name] - This sounds made-up. Not sure.

[name]Do[/name] you like the name [name]Maeve[/name]? That one’s so pretty and seems to fit in with your ones listed above.

Sigh

Well…I appreciate all the feedback!! None of the names we had were perfect; they were just kind of ok, and your feedback solidified that. And even though many seem to like [name]Maisy[/name], (I agree with the cuteness factor) I am afraid of it becoming a trendy name, and I really, REALLY want a unique name. Can you give me any other suggestions for an “M” name, preferably with and Irish/Celtic meaning or backround?

P.S. [name]Love[/name] the name [name]Maeve[/name]…so much that my oldest daughter is named “[name]Maeva[/name].” :wink: Thanks for the suggestions, nameberries!!! I so appreciate your help!!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Moira[/name]? That is the only one I can think of off the top of my head!

Celtic “M” Names for Girls
Mughain (moon) - old saint name that means " a young maiden"
[name]Malvina[/name] - name from [name]James[/name] Macpherson work, Poems of [name]Ossian[/name]
Majella - given to girls in honour of St. [name]Gerard[/name] Majella, patron saint of mothers & childbirth
Mealla / Meall - sister of St. [name]Kevin[/name] and mother of seven saints
Miniver - Cornish/Welsh saint name that means “very beautiful” nn [name]Minnie[/name]
[name]Myfanwy[/name] - Welsh name meaning “my fine little one”
Melangell - Cornish saint
[name]Melora[/name] - reputed to be the daughter of [name]King[/name] [name]Arthur[/name]
Metheven - Cornish name that means “[name]June[/name]”
[name]Mairead[/name] - form of [name]Margaret[/name]
Maben - Cornish saint
Mavourna - poetic name in Irish ballads that means “my little darling”
[name]Moira[/name] - form of [name]Mary[/name]
Maon (mane) - daughter of [name]Conn[/name] of the Hundred Battles
[name]Morrigan[/name] - Irish goddess
[name]Marga[/name] (mor-ga) - mother of Etain
Miach (mee-ach) - name meaning “honourable or proud”
[name]Morna[/name] - means “darling”
[name]Macha[/name] - saint name
Mor - The name of several Queens of [name]Ireland[/name]
Mailli (may-lee) - [name]Molly[/name]
[name]Morwenna[/name] -Welsh/Cornish name that means “maiden”
[name]Morag[/name] - Scottish name
[name]Meara[/name] (meera)
[name]Meredith[/name] - Welsh name
Merewin - Cornish saint
Muirne (mwir-na) - Mother of [name]Finn[/name] McCool. Means “beloved”
Muireann / Muirin - Wife of [name]Oisin[/name]
[name]Muirgheal[/name] ([name]Muriel[/name])

Celtic Place Names
Mallow
[name]Mayo[/name]
[name]Meade[/name]
[name]Moray[/name] - Scottish place name

[name]Minna[/name] is [name]German[/name] for “[name]Love[/name]”. I have a beloved great Aunt [name]Minna[/name], born in 1924, so the name is just about due to come around. It’s been used as a proper name for decades in [name]German[/name] families :slight_smile: [name]Minnie[/name]'s the one that feels incomplete to me - maybe because of [name]Mickey[/name] (short for [name]Michael[/name]) and [name]Minnie[/name] (short for?) Mouse.