What does your family think of your name choices?

I don’t have kids yet, but I already have possible names picked out.

Girls:
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]
[name]Leah[/name] [name]Christine[/name] (the [name]Christine[/name] part after my mother)
[name]Aria[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] Mikelle
[name]Ellery[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]

Boys:
[name]Luca[/name] Chrisopter
[name]Anthony[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]
[name]David[/name] [name]Louis[/name] (the [name]Louis[/name] after my father/brother/great-grandfathers)
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Michael[/name]

If somebody brings up names (my aunt had a baby recently, for example), I’ll tell my mother/sisters (never my father, lol) or who ever is started the subject about my favorite names. [name]Every[/name] single person I mention this list to thinks these names are ugly, for the most part. I think these names are adorable, but no body else does. My sister especially. She is the one who wanted to name her son Sodapop [name]James[/name] (she liked the movie “The Outsiders”), and she wants to name her daughter (if she has one) [name]Bambi[/name]. My mom is better…she thinks [name]Leah[/name] and [name]Aria[/name] are cute. My father is bad…he thinks naming a child a “Bible name” is mean and stupid! He HATES [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Michael[/name], [name]David[/name], [name]Moses[/name], [name]Jonah[/name], etc.

So, how has your family felt about your name choices? Supportive? Stubbornly unsupportive like mine?

Wow! Your list is lovely! I can’t believe your family could have such negative things to say about it! But… I mean, if your sister wants to name her kids Sodapop and [name]Bambi[/name]? Who cares what she thinks!

My family hates most of the names I like! My brother makes fun of most of them, and my mom usually scrunches her nose unless it’s something like [name]Elizabeth[/name] or a family name from her side! They have made lots of comments about how two middle names is “too long. The second one gets forgotten”… Etc. So, you’re not alone! Your family will learn to love your choices!

We’ve been pretty fortunate so far and haven’t had too many negative things said about our name choice for our daughter ([name]Fiona[/name] [name]Ryann[/name]), who is due in two months. Only a few people have made WHY WOULD YOU NAME YOUR DAUGHTER AFTER SHREK’S WIFE?! comments, but they’ve been relatives whose opinion really doesn’t matter to us anyway. Our immediate families have been great and are already calling her by her name. If they don’t like our choice, we sure can’t tell.

If you are pleasing everyone you are doing some thing wrong.

The best thing to do is keep your names to yourself until your baby is born. People love voicing their opinions before the baby comes, but usually keep them to themselves once the baby has arrived and the name is official.

I think you should give your family’s opinion a lot of weight only if your name choices are kind of “out there” (say, for instance, Sodapop or [name]Bambi[/name]). That way you can get a sense of whether the rest of the world will find your creative naming charming or ridiculous. If you’re choosing established names–and by the way, I think your list is absolutely lovely–I think your family’s opinions aren’t really all that important. There will always be people who dislike any name choice. Plus, once your baby is born, your family will think they loved the name all along.