What gender do you associate with Jem?

I love the name [name]Jem[/name]–it’s always been a favorite of mine from “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Unfortunately I think the 80’s cartoon made a lot of people associate it as a girl’s name. BUT–kids born this generation have probably never heard of the cartoon [name]Jem[/name]. Is it usable for a boy? I’m not crazy about [name]Jeremiah[/name] or [name]Jeremy[/name]–I may be swayable on [name]James[/name]–but I really like [name]Jem[/name] all by itself.

Thoughts! Thanks!

I think that since many kids these days don’t know about the cartoon [name]Jem[/name] that you could use it as a boy’s name. It doesn’t strike me as feminine at all.

I think it sounds masculine, but I’m a big fan of To Kill a Mockingbird…

Never would think of it as feminine.

I think it’s more masculine. To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely a more strong association than that dated cartoon, [name]IMO[/name].

I am a fan of the book as well, and the name seems masculine to me. I still prefer it as a nickname though.

I think of it as unisex. I’d use it as a nickname.

I babysat during the 80’s heyday of the cartoon “[name]Jem[/name] and the Holograms” so [name]Jem[/name] is a female name for me!

I’ve liked [name]Jem[/name] as a nickname for [name]James[/name] since I read [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables. I think it’s great, but I prefer it as a nickname. The only other thing I wanted to say is that is very similar to the feminine [name]Gemma[/name], so people might associate [name]Jem[/name] as a nickname (for [name]Gemma[/name]) because it’s more heard of than [name]Jem[/name] on a boy - just a thought. If that makes any sense?

Definitely male - from To Kill a Mockingbird, [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables, and the Outlander series. The male associations with the name are literary, and much more timeless than the 80’s cartoon!

I’m right in the middle.

To Kill A Mockingbird has more staying power than an 80s cartoon & vintage/nicknamey is the thing right now.

But…

The popularity of [name]Gemma[/name] & the bejewelled aspect of [name]Jem[/name] makes it feel girly.

Let’s just group it with [name]Wren[/name] & call it unisex.

I think of it as unisex mainly but I know more boy characters with the name (especially out of [name]Hetty[/name] [name]Feather[/name])

I view it as a male name–mostly as a nickname, though.

I think of [name]Jem[/name] as male, probably because of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I think it sounds feminine because of the [name]Gem[/name], [name]Gemma[/name] associations mentioned. If I just heard the name I would maybe think it started with a G.

Thanks everyone. I had a little epiphany this afternoon. My husband and I both like the name [name]Benjamin[/name]–but we’re not big on the nickname [name]Ben[/name]. I think we could use [name]Jem[/name] as a alternative nickname to [name]Benjamin[/name]!

First thought female. I love [name]Jem[/name]/[name]Jemi[/name] as a nick name for [name]Jemima[/name]. But its very similar to [name]Jim[/name] to be taken serious as a boy name. So another vote goes into “Either”

Many people pronounce [name]Gem[/name], [name]Jim[/name], and [name]Jem[/name] the same way. Since [name]Jem[/name] & [name]Gem[/name] are not common people will hear “[name]Jim[/name]” and think boy

I think [name]Jem[/name] is a great idea for [name]Benjamin[/name]

[name]Jem[/name] is masculine; To Kill A Mockingbird firmly cements that. And TKM is a required book to be read in high school so the majority of people in the US should recognize it as such.
[name]Gem[/name] however, is feminine and should be a nickname for [name]Gemma[/name].

Honestly, I think it’s unisex. I could see it as a nickname for a boy, via [name]James[/name], [name]Jeremy[/name] or [name]Jeremiah[/name], or for a girl, via [name]Jemma[/name] or [name]Jemima[/name].