What goes with Stoner?

We’re due in a week and trying to decide on a name for our little guy. Right now the top 10 contenders are:

[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Eliot[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Beau[/name]
[name]Bowie[/name]
[name]Reeve[/name]
[name]Boone[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]

Sibs are [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name], but we’re looking for something less popular this time around. And yes, the baby’s last name is Stoner. That’s right. Stoner. Nothing I can do about that! :wink:

What do you think?

My pick would be [name]Eliot[/name]. I think a longer fn draws attention away from the Stoner part, so most of the one- and two-syllable picks aren’t ideal for me. [name]Sullivan[/name], on the other hand, doesn’t work because the alliteration actually highlights the last name MORE. In my experience, people tend to call people with alliterative names by both names more often.
I think [name]Eliot[/name] sounds great with [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name]. It shares last name origins with [name]Dylan[/name], but vintage style with [name]Olivia[/name]. Perfect!

totally off topic, but I just wanted to chime in that there is a real estate agent in my neighborhood named [name]Mary[/name] [name]Jane[/name] Stoner. Her signs are all over town. As a marketing technique, it certainly works since I remember her name!!

I want to second the suggestion of [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name].

Ha ha, that’s one way to have fun with a crazy last name I guess. I did really like the name [name]Holden[/name], but [name]Holden[/name] Stoner just seems like asking for trouble! Also, any and all plant names are off the table.

[name]Theo[/name]-ok
[name]Clark[/name]-not crazy about, but just because I think of nerdy [name]Clark[/name] Grizwald, or [name]Clark[/name] [name]Kent[/name]
[name]Eliot[/name]- I like this a lot with Stoner. Also [name]Eli[/name] Stoner flows great.
[name]Dashiell[/name]- Too much for a kid, too feminine.
[name]Henry[/name]- I like this one alot
[name]Beau[/name]- ok
[name]Bowie[/name]- I don’t think any grown man should have a name that ends in a cutesy ‘ie’ sound.
[name]Reeve[/name]- I like this one a lot.
[name]Boone[/name]- Although I love this one. The former high school teacher in me can just hear the guys calling their friend, “Boner Stoner” Guys will think of this.
[name]Sullivan[/name]-Can’t decide if I love it or hate it?

Whoops - [name]Oliver[/name] is clearly not an option – sorry I misread your daughter’s name!

So [name]Dylan[/name], [name]Olivia[/name] and…

[name]Theo[/name] – I like this.
[name]Clark[/name] – hmmm, no.
[name]Eliot[/name] – ***really like this. Prefer the [name]Elliott[/name] spelling
[name]Dashiell[/name] – not a favorite of mine. When I was considering [name]Satchel[/name] for a son, this name was constantly suggested.
[name]Henry[/name] – OK, but a little too classic a name to match with [name]Dylan[/name].
[name]Beau[/name] – I really like [name]Bo[/name]. But I don’t like [name]Beau[/name] at all. Go figure.
[name]Bowie[/name] – no. Agree that the “ie” makes it too nicknamey. [name]How[/name] about [name]Wyatt[/name]?
[name]Reeve[/name] – OK.
[name]Boone[/name] – no. But [name]Boone[/name] & [name]Bowie[/name] make me feel you have a bit of a western flair.
[name]Sullivan[/name] – not a fan of last names as first names, but [name]Sully[/name] is a great nickname and this name does go well with his siblings.=.

other suggestions that feel similar to names on your list:
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Silas[/name] ([name]Silas[/name] Stoner too many "s"s?)
[name]Matteo[/name]
[name]Satchel[/name]
[name]Cody[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Giles[/name]

I think something established, classic and strong can counterbalance the surname Stoner best.

So…

[name]Henry[/name] Stoner
[name]Sullivan[/name] Stoner
[name]Theodore[/name] Stoner (Stoner demands a full name for [name]Theo[/name])

fit better than…

[name]Bowie[/name] Stoner
[name]Boone[/name] Stoner
[name]Cody[/name] Stoner
[name]Satchel[/name] Stoner (last two being others’ suggestions)

in my opinion.

[name]Henry[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name] (nn [name]Sully[/name]) are the cutest!