What if you love a name that doesn't "fit" with siblings?

I love, love, love the name [name]India[/name]. It also happens to be a family name on my side. However, I’ve been told by more than one other name lover that it just sounds too exotic with our other kid’s names. I don’t necessarily disagree with that but I also don’t think that it is absolutely crazy with the other names either.

My question is should we settle for a name that we like and fits better but doesn’t make me swoon or go for [name]India[/name] which takes my breath away but doesn’t really make sense with the other kids?

Other kids are: [name]Juliette[/name] ([name]Jules[/name]), [name]Bella[/name], [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Leo[/name].
Other names we’re considering are : [name]Norah[/name] and [name]Isla[/name].

Thanks for your thoughts!

[name]Tara[/name]

I adore your other children’s names! [name]Norah[/name] is a favourite of mine, too, and [name]Isla[/name] is lovely.

[name]India[/name] is a lovely name. It conjurs up exotic images, of course, but I think it is established enough as a name in the English-speaking world that it doesn’t seem off with your other children’s names. Besides, [name]Bella[/name], [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] give and exotic Italian vibe, and [name]Juliette[/name] a French one - it is not as though your other children are named [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Anne[/name].

I have known eleven Indias that I can recall. I went to school with three of different ages (I am 29), know another from university, one is a friend’s mother (she is in her early fifties, I think), I have two among acquaintances and friends of friends, and taught four when I was a teacher, the oldest of whom must be around fifteen now. [name]Eleven[/name] is not that many, but it is a fairly significant number, so I don’t think that the name is too out-there at all. Actually, eleven is about the number of Juliettes I have met :slight_smile:

Go for [name]India[/name]!! I think it sounds beautiful with your other children’s names. It may sound a touch more exotic than the others, but while it doesn’t ‘match,’ per se, I don’t think it sounds out of place. While [name]India[/name] the country is an exotic locale, I associate it with other classic place names popular at various times in the UK, like [name]Venetia[/name] or [name]Geneva[/name].

I wouldn’t use a name you don’t like quite as much just in order to match better with the sibs. It sounds like you’re passionate about [name]India[/name], so I think it would be a shame not to use it!

[name]Tara[/name],

To me, [name]India[/name] and [name]Jacinda[/name] are very different on the exotic scale. Whereas I maintain that [name]Jacinda[/name] is just too unusual to blend well, [name]India[/name], though it conjures up an exotic ([name]Indian[/name]) image, is fairly established as a place name. And, as I believe Twinkle noted, you’ve got a little bit of an Italian theme with [name]Bella[/name], [name]Leo[/name], and even [name]Mia[/name], and then a bit of French with [name]Juliette[/name], so why not add some [name]India[/name] if you really love it?

Would you do [name]India[/name] [name]Quinlan[/name]? Very pretty for Miss [name]Indie[/name]!

Take care,

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I think I’ve tried to make [name]Jacinda[/name] work in place of [name]India[/name]. But I just don’t adore it the way I do [name]India[/name]. It surprises me, in a good way , [name]Lemon[/name], that you think [name]India[/name] works better with the other kids than [name]Jacinda[/name].

I have no idea what to use as a middle name with [name]India[/name]…I’m just giddy that you guys have responded so favorably!

I’m going to have to think on this for a few days…I literally have butterflies in my belly at the thought of actually using the name! Is that CRAZY?

I just love you guys! Thank you for your encouragement.

[name]Tara[/name]

I think [name]India[/name] works well enough with your kids names. It definetly doesnt stand out in my mind as being out of place. Your kids names certaintly arent bland, so I think [name]India[/name] works with them. I think it is better to pick a name you love.

Definitely use [name]India[/name]! It is v pretty and exotic but not excessively unusual. I know one mixed race (half [name]Indian[/name]) baby called [name]India[/name] and one little Caucasian girl, of 8 years old.
Your other children have slightly exotic sounding names, as others have said, not [name]Hannah[/name], [name]William[/name] and [name]Rachel[/name], etc
[name]India[/name] is so much prettier than [name]Jacinda[/name]!
I hope you use it :slight_smile:

Awww! Thanks Mummyto3! Your post is so encouraging!
I’m freaking out a little b/c I never expected my hubby to go for [name]India[/name] but he just said “sure, why not?”

Now I hope that I can find the courage to actually use it. I think other folks in my family are going to scowl.

Thanks, again, for your kind response.

[name]Tara[/name]

No problem! I hope that all these positive posts give you you the confidence to use it!
[name]India[/name] really isn’t all that unusual anyway. Parents are calling their children such a wide range of names nowadays that it won’t stand out in a bad way at all if that is your concern :slight_smile:

I’m feeling more and more confident every day!
Now we’re looking at middle name pairings. If I can get my other kids on board (they like [name]Norah[/name] best) then I think it’ll be a done deal!

I’ll keep you posted :slight_smile:

[name]Tara[/name]

My rule of thumb is that if you find something you love then go for it. ALso, your other names have a bit of flair. [name]Juliette[/name], [name]Leo[/name]…yes, they are a tad out of the ordinary. I think [name]India[/name] is a smidge more exotic but not too much. It works.

Thank you, emily76!
I don’t think it’s crazy-different either. This could be our last baby so I don’t want to regret not using a name that makes me swoon, you know?

Thanks for your advice!

[name]Tara[/name]

[name]Tara[/name], I like all your childrens names and i dont think you have followed a theme, thats not a bad thing, so [name]India[/name] works. If you [name]LOVE[/name] [name]India[/name] use it! I understand why people have encouraged you in the past to pick names that “match”, BUT realistically your children will only be living with you for 18 years so they will only be a part of mia, bella, leo and [name]India[/name] for a small portion of her their lives. Good luck!!!

We had taken this name off the table b/c of some not-so-nice comments from some of my family. But my oldest daughter who was dead set against this name told me tonight that she has changed her mind and is liking it more and more.

The other choices are now [name]Norah[/name] (still) and [name]Nola[/name]. [name]Maeve[/name] will probably be the middle name for whatever first name we choose.
I feel like I’m on a emotional naming roller coaster. I’m not sure we should put [name]India[/name] back in the mix now. Also, my brother said it sounds like an [name]African[/name] -American name…do you agree?

thanks-
[name]Tara[/name]

I think [name]India[/name] is lovely especially paired with a British middle name.

[name]India[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Joyce[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Frances[/name]

[name]India[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Frances[/name]

[name]India[/name] is a relatively old name, actually. It makes me laugh that your brother thinks that [name]India[/name] is an [name]African[/name]-American name. [name]India[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name] is the jealous rival of [name]Scarlett[/name] O’[name]Hara[/name] in Gone with the Wind. You can’t get much more lily white than plantation-bred [name]India[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name]! I remember when I read the book I thought [name]India[/name] was such a cool name, perhaps even cooler than [name]Scarlett[/name], and that it was a shame it was wasted on such a character. So next time your brother brings that up, tell him that [name]India[/name] is a Southern [name]Belle[/name] name (anyway, what’s wrong with [name]African[/name] American names?)

I think [name]India[/name] sounds fine with the names of the rest of your children and that you should definitely go for it if you love it so much.

My brother makes me crazy! I think he’s only thinking of the singer/musician [name]India[/name] [name]Arie[/name]. I think she’s awesome so that connection makes me like it even more. We actually (my brother and I )have a great aunt named [name]India[/name] but he forgot about her, I guess.

I think it’s gorgeous and I’ve loved it for a while now.
If my hubby and kiddos will give me the green light, it’s a done deal.

Thanks, Nathini!

[name]Tara[/name]