What is the BEST name in the world?

It’s a silly question, I know. But what do you think the best name in the world is? Please give your reasoning! You can say more than one name, but only if you give a good reason! And say a girls name and a boys name!

Id like to know yours! :lol:

Gosh, good question. For a girl id say [name]Finley[/name] [name]Isabella[/name], and i know almost everyone will hate it. I like the sound, i like the picture i get from it, i like how it is written. I have fallen in love with it for quite some time now.
I dont have knowledge of history or what style the names are. I just love the unexpectedness of [name]Finley[/name] for a girl. I love how my mother can pronounce it, because it is so simple. I love the ‘lee’ or ‘ee’ ending, how it both honors my [name]SIL[/name]'s, Twiggy and [name]Sophie[/name]. I love the nn [name]Finn[/name]. I love how [name]Isabella[/name] balances the name. It flows awesome with [name]Finley[/name]. It is really feminine, to go with [name]Finley[/name]. It has one of my other favourite names, [name]Bella[/name], in it. I love how it honors my brother [name]Bas[/name], without being obvious (look for it … i[name]SABella[/name])
I love the meaning ‘[name]Hero[/name] of God’. She doesnt honor my other brother [name]Ronald[/name] but maybe the next baby will?

I dont care if it is ‘popular’ because i dont live in the USA, or UK, so i dont have meaning to those stats. I know i will probably never meet another [name]Finley[/name] in my entire life. Thats why i love [name]Finley[/name] even more. She isnt born, not even expected but i truly hope i will someday meet her. I love her already, and i love her name. I picked it out for her, specially for her and no one else, because i want her to have her vary own name that no one in the whole wide country has. I wont try and please anyone, I have to love the name, and i swear that i will get her future daddy to love it too.

My other favourite girls name, what i am going to name daughter nr 2 is [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]. Again it honors my [name]SIL[/name]‘s with the ‘ee’ ending of [name]Hermione[/name]. Also it specifically honors my [name]SIL[/name] Twiggy, which surname begins with ‘HERM___’
It is kind of a stretch but she also honors my parents. [name]Hermione[/name] [name]Granger[/name], from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], her Dutch name is Hermelien Griffel, my parents’ names both end in -IEN
[name]Rowan[/name] honors my brother [name]Ronald[/name], with the [name]RO[/name] beginning.

Again, i [name]LOVE[/name] the sound, looks, writing. I love what i SEE when I think about her. I see a different girl then [name]Finley[/name] [name]Isabella[/name]. With [name]Finley[/name], i picture a blondheaded, blue-eyed little girl in a little dress and two ponytails. When i think of an older [name]Finley[/name], i see a straith, blond haired girl/woman. I picture her as an artist, someone who is very creative.
When I think of my little [name]Rowan[/name], i see a little girl with lots of curls. She has thesame blue eyes as her sister but with a little green in the mix. When i think of teenage [name]Rowan[/name] i see a girl in jeans, a top and lots of make-up. She’s the popular kid, even the cheerleader if we had those. She’s an outgoing, love-able girl. Shes not so creative as [name]Finley[/name] but she is incredibly smart.

Again, i love her already and i can only hope i will once give birth to my beloved [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name]. I will be the most happy person if i can ever meet them. [name]Even[/name] when they turn out to be alot different. I dont care, i love them and i always will.

Her meaning is Redhead Messenger. I dont dislike it, but i dont love it either. Thats why i love this name a little tiny bit lesser then [name]Finley[/name].

My favourite boysnames are [name]Wyatt[/name] and [name]Caspian[/name]. I like their sound and writing. But i dont have thesame feelings like [name]Finley[/name] and [name]Rowan[/name]‘s names. I picture [name]Wyatt[/name] as a blond boy with long hair, not too long but not short either. He’ shy and will turn out quite a handsome guy.

Borat.

I can do a boys’ name - [name]Joseph[/name]. It’s funny, because my personal favourites are mostly much more unusual than that, but … there’s something about [name]Joseph[/name]. It’s so handsome, it’s so classic, it’s so timeless, yet I haven’t met all that many. [name]Saint[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] is my favourite saint (it seems sort of trivial to have a favourite saint, but there you have it). I’m so in love with the sound and simplicity of it that I actually like the ‘Average [name]Joe[/name]’ connection. Plus, I also like the unusual nn Sepp. [name]Joseph[/name] is used all over the world, from [name]Ireland[/name] to Korea, from [name]Malta[/name] to the the Maori peoples of New Zealand.

Sometimes I doubt other favourites of mine, worrying that when put together maybe they’re too much, sound like they’re trying too hard, but [name]Joseph[/name] is always just perfect.

[name]Auburn[/name]

For a boy: [name]Jack[/name]
For a girl: [name]Sojourner[/name] or [name]Eliza[/name]

this is just my personal opinion :slight_smile:

:smiley:
[name]Izzy[/name]

To me, the best girls’ name is [name]Olivia[/name]. This is the name we almost picked for our first daughter, but we went with [name]Camille[/name] because we’d both loved it for a long time, and we knew a young [name]Olivia[/name] at the time. Anyway, I love it because I think it’s beautiful, classy, and sophisticated, but also fun, and I can picture it on a person of any age. I love the nickname [name]Liv[/name] (and [name]Livy[/name]). I love girls’ names with a lot of vowel sounds, and I also tend to like names with ‘v’ in them. Overall, it’s a pretty perfect name in my opinion. And my grandmother’s middle name is [name]Livia[/name], which makes it even better to me. If it weren’t for the crazy popularity of this name in recent years, this would definitely be one of my daughters’ names.

I can honestly say I don’t have a boys’ name that truly stands out to me. Of course I love my son’s name, [name]Zachary[/name], and it really fits him, but I have trouble saying it’s my absolute favorite boys’ name in the world, lol.

[name]Caroline[/name]. Timeless, but never boring. Classy, but never pretentious. She’s a princess, a [name]Kennedy[/name], and the girl next door. [name]Caroline[/name]=effortless elegance. (Too bad so many people agree with me!)

I’d have to say [name]Julia[/name]. It’s both ancient and modern, it’s sophisticated, timeless, and can fit any age. Close behind is [name]Fiona[/name]-- it’s the one name I’ve always loved, ever since I can remember. And I second [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name]!

This is hard, but I would have to say [name]Henry[/name] for a boy and [name]Philippa[/name] for a girl. [name]Henry[/name] because it is a classic name with great nicknames like [name]Hank[/name], [name]Harry[/name], and [name]Hal[/name] (my favorite!) and [name]Philippa[/name] because it is pretty and classic but very unique, with the cute nickname [name]Pippa[/name]. I also love the meanings of both. [name]Henry[/name] means “estate ruler” and [name]Philippa[/name] means “lover of horses”. :]

however, my husband hates [name]Henry[/name]. :[. He knows about 5 or 6 people that had cats named [name]Henry[/name], but I’m trying to convince him on the [name]Hal[/name] or [name]Harry[/name] nicknames. Right now the one “perfect” name we can agree on is [name]Alfred[/name] nickname [name]Alfie[/name]. It has a great meaning, “wise counselor” is an underused classic and [name]WAY[/name] less popular than [name]Henry[/name] in the U.S. We both love [name]Pippa[/name] but our last name is Pessoa (pronounced Puh-so-uh) and [name]Pippa[/name] Pessoa might be too much. BUT…it’s still on the list! Our other choices are [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], and [name]Imogen[/name].

so in theory: [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Pippa[/name].

in practice: [name]Alfie[/name] and [name]Bee[/name].

It’s funny, because when I think “best name in the world” the names that come to mind are names that are not my “all time favorites”. For example, my favorite girls names are [name]Philippa[/name], [name]Juno[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]. However, I think the best girls name, in the world, would have to be [name]Elizabeth[/name] (or [name]Elisabeth[/name], I adore this spelling a lot). I can’t use it on a child, because it’s my Aunt’s name (and we try to not repeat names in my family, plus since I’m Jewish we don’t name after the living), and despite my deep love for it, it’s too popular for me. But I do love it. So why is it the best name in the world? Well it has every single factor that I believe a great name should have:

1. Versatility. Obviously [name]Elizabeth[/name] is extremely versatile. It has countless nicknames, ranging from common ([name]Liz[/name]/[name]Lizzy[/name], [name]Ellie[/name]) to vintage ([name]Betsy[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Libby[/name], [name]Elsa[/name]/[name]Elsie[/name]) to rare ([name]Bess[/name], [name]Bette[/name], Busy). It’s range of nicknames fits any kind of a girl. [name]Lizzy[/name] is sporty, [name]Eliza[/name] is elegant, [name]Ellie[/name] is playful, [name]Elsa[/name] is exotic, [name]Libby[/name] is lovable. [name]Elizabeth[/name] is strong and serious, but still fun and playful. [name]Elizabeth[/name] can be a lawyer, doctor, actress, writer, mom- she can do anything!

2. References. [name]Elizabeth[/name] has tons of amazing references. [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Bennet[/name], [name]Queen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], Saints, Royals, [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Taylor[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Barrett[/name] Browning- the list is endless).

3. [name]Cross[/name]-Cultural Usability. [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Elisabeth[/name], [name]Elisabetta[/name], [name]Lisbeth[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name]. It just works on so many levels and in so many cultures and languages.

So, I think [name]Elizabeth[/name] is probably the best name in the world. I will probably use it as a middle name one day. Popularity aside, it’s the perfect name, which of course is why it’s so darn popular and timeless. I’ll have to think some more about the best boys name… that’s a lot harder.

For me:

Boy: [name]Hosea[/name] Independence
Meaning to me is just as important to me as the sound. [name]Hosea[/name] means “salvation”. I also have a GP for unusual virtue/word names. I also just love the flow of the two names.

Girl: [name]Salma[/name]
It means “safety”, plus I love the NN [name]Sally[/name]. [name]Haven[/name]'t found the perfect MN yet though.

Replying to [name]Jay[/name]'s post got me all distracted from homework… So I just have to reply to this one too.

While I’ve recently started loving names such as [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Odette[/name], I don’t feel like they are best names in the world… So my verdict is a tie:
[name]Claire[/name] or [name]Laura[/name]
And here is why. I feel like both [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Laura[/name] are gorgeous yet simple names, and they’re classics that fit for any age. Also, why I love both of these names is because I don’t feel like they are specific to a certain image of a girl. While I love [name]Isabel[/name], I can only see it on a girly-girl, not anything else. [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Laura[/name] give off a feel of flexibilty (if that makes sense). For example, using the name [name]Laura[/name], I know a few different Lauras. One of them is my really good friend who plays softball and is kind of (I hate to say it) a slacker in school. On the other hand, while looking at the plaques of the valedictorians for the 10 graduating classes of my school, and pretty much every class had at least one [name]Laura[/name] (one class had two [name]Laura[/name]'s and one [name]Lauren[/name]). [name]Claire[/name] has the same feel to me, which is why I think they’re the best names. [name]Claire[/name] has a bit of an edge over [name]Laura[/name], though…

No matter how much I love the name [name]Darwin[/name], as I’m sure everyone on here knows by now, there’s another name that I’ve loved for a really long time…
[name]Jack[/name]
I think this name has everything, it’s: spunky, tough, serious, fun, classic, studious, athletic, etc. I can imagine it on everyone from a hardworking and smart baseball player, to a skater who skips classes (which isn’t the best association). [name]Jack[/name] could be the All-American boy-next-door or a cowboy. Could you ask for a more versatile and handsome name? It’s simplicity makes it so wonderful. In fact, if my future husband doesn’t want [name]Darwin[/name] as a first name, maybe a son will be [name]Jack[/name] [name]Darwin[/name]. It’s got everything one could possibly want, in fact, I think I’ve persuaded myself to move it near the top of my list.
I should also add that [name]Andrew[/name] seems to fit this description for me as well, although I don’t love it nearly as much as [name]Jack[/name].

Awesome question, [name]Lyndsay[/name]! I want to see your answers, too :slight_smile:

OK, I’m back with the BEST BOYS NAME IN THE WORLD!
Ready for it?

[name]Thomas[/name].
[name]Thomas[/name] is dignified and steady. He is Sir [name]Thomas[/name] More, [name]Thomas[/name] Aquinas, [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Edison[/name], and [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Wolfe[/name]. [name]Tom[/name] is as all-American as apple pie, like the quintessential [name]Tom[/name]-the impish [name]Tom[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name]. [name]Tom[/name] could be a studious music major or the president of the wildest fraternity. [name]Tom[/name] is an all-around great guy.

[name]Ben[/name]! Whatever age, [name]Ben[/name] is always a good name in my opinion :slight_smile:

Yep. Ditto.

Agreed! I think [name]Thomas[/name] is one of the best names out there. I love it, a lot. And I adore [name]Tom[/name], as well. I was just going to post why I think [name]Thomas[/name] is so great, but you’ve summed it up!