What is the Biblical spelling of Susanna/h?

I always thought it was with the H at the end, but in my Bible is it spelled [name]Susanna[/name]? I would really like to stay as close to the Biblical roots as possible.

Gosh, I always thought it was [name]Susannah[/name] too. I guess originally it was written in a different alphabet though, so I think it could be open to interpretation and different translations may or may not have the -h.

In Hebrew it sounds more like [name]Shoshana[/name]/[name]Shoshannah[/name] which has several spellings itself. [name]Susannah[/name] is in a lot of Bible translations but I’ve seen [name]Susanna[/name] as well.

I like the h version and there’s a “hay” on it in Hebrew (which as eskay said is a different alphabet) so [name]Susannah[/name] works for me as reasonably approximately authentic translation. But I don’t think there’s any form of h on it in Greek.

Different versions probably have it differently.

I would love to be able to put this on my list, spelt [name]Susannah[/name], but my husband won’t go for it, or [name]Shoshana[/name] either.

[name]Do[/name] you ever use [name]Blue[/name] Letter Bible? http://www.blueletterbible.org
You can see they show you a bunch of translations at once. [name]Susanna[/name] is written without the H in all versions they list except for the Hebrew Names Version, where it is [name]Shoshanah[/name].

If you want to get completely technical with the Biblical (i.e., Torah) version, it should be [name]Shoshana[/name], and not [name]Susannah[/name] at all - anyway, I think either is acceptable.

Well, I am not certain, as the Torah refers to the first five books of the Bible, where as the actual name [name]Susanna[/name] is mentioned in the New Testaments, in [name]Luke[/name]. Either way, I am sure will be fine :), I was just wondering if there was a more definitive answer, to specifically the name mentioned in [name]Luke[/name] :slight_smile:

Hmm. In Aramaic I believe it would’ve been Shushaneh… not very pretty, haha.

(Edited to say, my point here is I don’t think there IS a definitive answer, considering how many translations the book has gone through. Not meaning to pick at anyone!)

I checked the [name]King[/name] [name]James[/name] Version (original English translation) of the Bible, and the name is spelled “[name]Susanna[/name]” in [name]Luke[/name] 8:3. I have not seen any version that spells it with an H. This is a name that I totally love and long to use. I hope someone will use it!

Thank you all for your input. I too only find it spelled [name]Susanna[/name] without an H. :slight_smile:

The book of [name]Luke[/name] was originally written in Greek, which also uses a different alphabet. [name]Jesus[/name] and his followers most likely spoke Aramaic and the name was a Hebrew name pronounced like “shoshana”. If you read the Bible in the languages it was originally written in, you will find that we have Changed the pronunciation of most Biblical names over time to fit in better with modern languages. (for example, [name]Jesus[/name]’ name was actually pronounced something like [name]Joshua[/name]). [name]Long[/name] story short; it’s confusing, there is no correct Biblical way to spell [name]Susanna[/name]/h. It’s simply up to the translators. Either way is correct, just pick what you like better.