What is the story behind your name?

EDIT: I see someone else made an identical topic! So sorry, please go reply to that one instead

I find the thought process behind people’s names so fascinating! So for those of you who would like to share - how did your parents chose your name? Also how did your chose the names of your children? Was it simply based on names you liked or did it have some deeper significance? I would be so interested to know!

I can start: My name at birth was Amelia-Margaret. My mum wanted the name Amelia from the moment she saw me, but my dad was not a fan and like more sturdy names. Margaret was the compromise. It actually took my parents three months after I was born to agree on a name - so don’t worry if you’re expecting and stuck!
When I was four my parents moved to Denmark and changed my name to the Danish form of Amelia - Amalie (and yes, that was deeply confusing to four year old me). I always go by the nn Mina, which my grandad came up with as a stronger version of Minnie (which was my parents’ nn for me), as he felt I had too strong of a personality for the gentle and girly Minnie.

3 Likes

My story is pretty boring! [name_f]My[/name_f] mom chose my name because she really liked how it went with my sister’s name! I was maybe going to be [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] but my mom had ordered a personalized blanket and they had already started writing [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] on it so my mom decided to stick with it! [name_f]My[/name_f] middle is an honor name.

3 Likes

My mom made a list, and my dad said [name_f]Lily[/name_f] was the one he “disliked the least.” :roll_eyes: She picked [name_f]Lily[/name_f] because of her love of gardening, and because of the flow of my name as a whole (she is a fellow namenerd). [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is after a great aunt who died shortly before I was born. It’s not the same name, but it shares the initial, and it contains all of the letters of her name within it.

3 Likes

That’s kinda cute how the baby blanket chose your destiny! But it’s such a pretty name. I love when people use honour names and middles, it just seems so personal and significant

1 Like

I could so see my dad making the exact same comment :roll_eyes: But it’s cool how your mum used her name-nerd powers to come up with an honour name like that!

1 Like

Thank you! I actually still have the blanket almost 20 years later! [name_f]My[/name_f] middle honor was actually supposed to be my grandma Dilia but she hated her name and asked my mom to instead honor her adoptive mother! I actually love my mn because it meant so much to my grandma! Her adoptive mother died about 30+ years ago and to this day she is emotional about it, so I love having the connection to remind her

1 Like

That’s lovely! I think it’s great to hold onto significant items from childhood. And it’s such a touching story with your grandmother! I’m glad she was able to honour her adoptive mother that way, it must have been so significant for her

1 Like

My parents used to read the dictionary for fun, came across my name (it’s a word) in there and thought it would make a great name. For my middle, if I’m remembering correctly, my mom had just always like the name of the spice and thought it sounded really pretty. They decided on their kids names when they got married (5.5 years before I arrived on the scene) so there wouldn’t be any fighting about it if she got pregnant (they weren’t planning on having kids when they got married).

2 Likes

Good! [name_m]Just[/name_m] as it should be :smile: (imo)

3 Likes

I think it’s wonderful when parent’s chose a name that has some significance to their interests and story! Also good on your parents to disregard others’ opinions and using a name they loved. The mn [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is also darling!

2 Likes

My boyfriend and I do the same thing - it’s surprisingly interesting! Your parents were definitely pragmatic thinkers, which I love

2 Likes

Oh, 100% and still are.

That’s so interesting you guys do that as well! I haven’t come across anyone else who does that.

2 Likes

My name is [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Abigail[/name_f].
There isn’t really any story behind my name, other than my mum just loved it.
When I was little I was always her [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Lottie[/name_f].
Growing up in school I was [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and my friends called me [name_m]Chaz[/name_m]. In college and university I have only been known as [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and now I go by [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] all the time.

2 Likes

Its pretty boring.
[name_f]My[/name_f] mum had always wanted a [name_f]Grace[/name_f] ever since she was little, so when she became pregnant thats just who I was! Never quite figured out if I was named after the song, or the virtue.
[name_f]Gillian[/name_f] is just my grandmas name, but she loves that im named after her.
I get called [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] by my close family, and my dad pretty much exclusively calls me ‘[name_u]Boo[/name_u]’. According to him I loved playing peekaboo as a baby, and the nickname just sort of stuck :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your name is so pretty! And [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] is such a cute nn, it made me smile so wide! But your story definitely demonstrates how smart it is to chose a name with many options, as the name can grow with you and suit a variety of personalities. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your name is so lovely! And you’ve definitely been blessed with wonderful nicknames - the story behind [name_u]Boo[/name_u] is adorable :heart_eyes: I also love how your name honours your grandmother, that is just so wholesome

1 Like

Thank you…:slightly_smiling_face: This is a bit anecdotal but something which was kind of strange is when my eldest was born our midwife was a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] second born is an [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and our midwife when he was born was called [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] lol! :grin:

2 Likes

@Artemis31 Aww, thanks for sharing! I would have taken it as a sign in that situation and felt very safe in their hands

1 Like

My parents chose my name because of someone on The View.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] .

[name_f]My[/name_f] parents named me [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] after [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m]!! They liked the fact that she was a feminist icon and wanted to bestow all the great things she did onto me☺️. I’ve always loved that.

[name_f]My[/name_f] middle name [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is after my great grandma, who unfortunately passed away before I was born, her name was [name_f] Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]!! [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter will have the middle name of [name_f]Violet[/name_f] to honour her, I like the fact that it connects all three of us💗

3 Likes