What is wrong with this name?

What is wrong with the name [name]Alden[/name]?

This was my top pick for a boy because it is similar to a surname in my family. I really liked it until a friend said “[name]Alden[/name]! Why do you like that?” I told her because it would honor family and she still looked disgusted. I know she wasn’t trying to be mean. She said that she did not even know it was a name. Usually, I don’t care about what one person thinks but her reaction was unexpected and i’m worried a lot of people may react like she did.

I used to think [name]Alden[/name] was the kind of name that would belong to someone who is handsome and intelligent. But now it kind of seems boring and unsubstantial. I want to like this name again but I’m having trouble connecting to it. What do you think? Thank you!

I personally don’t see anything wrong with it but I wouldn’t say that I liked it.

I think it’s a good name. I understand it’s hard to continue to like a name after someone has that kind of reaction to it.

[name]Alden[/name] is a perfectly fine name. It isn’t super popular, thank god! But I would certainly consider it if it has meaning. If it were my family name, I would be highly inclined. It is easy to pronounce, spell and recognize yet different.

It seems insubstantial to me. But the main reason I dislike it - and why you’ll find negative reactions on Nameberry - is its immense popularity. There are millions of names to choose from, so why choose one that will make your son one of four in his classes potentially?

The flip side, of course, is: if you love it, use it. It’s a perfectly fine name. It’s popular for a reason.

Personally if I were going to use a very popular name - and I probably will; [name]Elizabeth[/name] is #11 - I would go for classic popular, like [name]Alexander[/name] or [name]David[/name], as opposed to trendy popular, like [name]Aiden[/name] or [name]Logan[/name]. The latter are going to feel very dated very quickly.

There’s nothing wrong with it. As I’m sure you already know, it means " old, wise friend." I think it is a sweet name, one that can grow to fit an adult, and has a great meaning. I doubt that many people will react as you friend did, I can’t even see why she would react in such a way.

It’s still a great name; has a wonderful meaning and family history for you. Your son would be proud to wear it. Her reaction sounds more like [name]Alden[/name]'s not her style rather than a terrible name (of course, sometimes others get that line blurred). With your list and style, I doubt you will be able to please many people with your names. Not because your names are bad, but because most of them aren’t main stream. If you are truly disillusioned than go with your next favorite, but personally I would be more concerned with what you and your husband think about a name.
My son’s name is [name]Eldon[/name] and we got a few raised eyebrows for the first couple weeks, but since then everyone’s warmed up to the name and of course it definitely helps that the name comes with an adorable face. Now that he’s older we just get the usual reactions from strangers; love it, hate it and don’t tell us, or indifferent (which is honestly the main reactions any and every name will get).

I wouldn’t consider [name]Alden[/name] to be popular. At least not in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name] anyway.

I personally like [name]Alden[/name]. The problem with names that are less common is that some people might think they are odd. It is not that they don’t like the name, but it is just unusual so it surprises them and they don’t know what to make of it. Once people hear a name over and over again it starts to sound normal and will probably grow on them. Especially once they actually meet somebody with the name.

It was #9 in the US. That’s popular. According to the Nameberry description, if you added up all the [name]Aiden[/name] spellings, it would be the #1 boys name in the country. So yes, it is extremely popular.

I think maybe missusaytch thought we were talking about [name]Aiden[/name]. [name]Alden[/name], on the other hand, is very uncommon. I like it, but I think I prefer Alder. Then you have the nature component.

[name]Alden[/name] isn’t that popular, that’s [name]Aiden[/name].

I don’t see anything wrong with the name. It’s a nice name.

I’m indifferent to it. I don’t dislike it (like [name]Jaxon[/name] or [name]Jayden[/name]) but I don’t really care for it personally. If it has meaning to you, you should use it and once your baby is born, it doesn’t really matter what his name is - he’ll be perfect and the name will be, too.

[name]Alden[/name] doesn’t seem as trendy as the other -den names. I did read [name]Aiden[/name] instead of [name]Alden[/name] at first…that may be an issue for people who read it. I like Alder for the nature aspect but I actually think [name]Alden[/name] has a prettier sound.

I like it! Its quiet and understated but still handsome and dignified. It reminds me of names such as [name]Edwin[/name], [name]Alfred[/name], [name]Edmond[/name] and [name]Irvin[/name]. Old fashioned names aren’t for everyone. Maybe the person who reacted so strongly is more likely to name a child [name]Rebel[/name] or Braydaen :).

LOL! You’re right, guys. I’m sorry! Disregard! This is what I get for looking a NB on my iPhone. Ahhhhh! I’m laughing so hard right now.

[name]Alden[/name] is nice. Never mind everything I said about [name]Aiden[/name]. :slight_smile:

I have never heard of it as a first name but I am not in the US. It reminds me of the surname Alder which in turn makes me think of trees so it has a bit of a nature vibe which is nice. It’s not my style but I know that surnames as first names are very common in the US so I think it would fit right in. I can’t see how it’s different to [name]Parker[/name] or [name]Slater[/name] etc in that respect.

I really like it.

[name]Remember[/name] the saying, you can’t please all of the people, all of the time?

Some people are ignorant, uninformed and their opinion should be discounted as such. If you’re making a thoughtful naming decision (which you are-- you like the names’ aesthetics, vibe, and family connection) then hold fast to your reasons and know you’re giving your son a wonderful gift.

I agree. I like it. I bet she likes names that you wouldn’t go for either, so I wouldn’t worry over it.

I think it sounds very handsome.

[name]Alden[/name] sounds classy and old-fashioned. I like it! It is important to your family, so I think you should embrace it. :slight_smile: