What is your #1 rec?

Big brothers are H0rat1o F3lix and [name_f]Ana[/name_f]$ta$io R@z.

We mostly call our children by their full first names. We speak [name_u]French[/name_u] and Japanese at home, but are native [name_f]English[/name_f]-speakers and live in an [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking community in the US and plan to live here longterm. Having good creative nickname options and trans-lingual usability is important. Meaning is also important.

English nicknames:
H: R0ry, T1o.
A: Sa$ha, T@z.

Japanese nicknames:
H: Re1sh1 (from the Rati syllable of his name)
A: T@tsu (from the Tasi syllable)

French
H: goes by his full first name or H0race;
A: [name_f]Ana[/name_f]$tase.

What is the ONE girl name you would most highly recommend to me? What is the name that when you see brothers’ names you think would be absolutely perfect? What is the name that makes you want to tell me, ‘[name_m]Even[/name_m] if you don’t use this name, you’d be wrong not to strongly consider it.’ …? Why?

Thanks, Berries

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] one idea is an [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] name! You have [name_f]Emi[/name_f] in Japanese, there are many [name_u]French[/name_u] em- names ([name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f], [name_f]Emilie[/name_f], [name_f]Emeline[/name_f], [name_f]Emeraude[/name_f], etc.?), and I think [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] is great with R0ry and S@sha.

I’m sorry to say that’s all I’ve got right now, but it instantly seemed like a great option to me, so. :joy::joy:

Good luck!

3 Likes

I’m not sure about this, but I think [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] could work well with your boys’ names.

1 Like

With H and A, I think I’d suggest [name_f]Cressida[/name_f]. I love the golden meaning, the boldness of the name and the literary vibe. I think it shares the grandeur of your boys but also feels wearable. I love the potential nicknames of Cress, [name_f]Cressie[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_m]Sid[/name_m], [name_f]Essie[/name_f], [name_f]Cressa[/name_f], [name_f]Cece[/name_f] and [name_u]Kit[/name_u]

3 Likes

So tough to pick just ONE!

I think I’m going to go with [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]. Its old, rare, and Latin-esque – vibes perfectly with your boys’ names. The name is undeniably elegant and would wear so beautifully on a little girl today. It’s an Italian name, but it comes from the Greek kósmos, which is literally means ‘world’ – a meaning that feels rather fitting for a daughter born into a multi-lingual family. The name has ancient roots, much like your sons’ names, which makes it feel like it goes well with them, despite also being quite distinct. I think I also like that it has the ‘o’ in it, without ending in -o and seeming too matchy with Hor@tio and Anast@sio.

Overall, that would probably be my pick, but there are already some other really great suggestions, too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What fun to see everyone else posting variations on this theme, too! I have gotten @jonquils, @Greyblue, and @elanorelle, but let me know if I’m missing any and I’ll reciprocate!

@ashthedreamer, I will definitely take a closer look at the [name_f]Emi[/name_f] group. I agree that makes a great crossover nickname. [name_f]Emeraude[/name_f] is a longtime fav but my partner isn’t a superfan. We know a little [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], both daughters of close friends, so we wouldn’t use those, but that wouldn’t mean I need to throw out the whole group.

@may.rose, I do like [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] a lot. I nannied for a little [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] for 3 years, though, and DH is largely against using names of people we know or were connected to in the past.

@jonquils, I love all the names you mentioned. DH actually approved of Zepherine as a potential sister for [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] but we haven’t talked about her since. I’ll bring her up.

@Greyblue, @elanorelle, yes yes [name_f]Cressida[/name_f]. Yes yes [name_f]Cosima[/name_f]. As I’m sure you remember these are on the extended shortlist (top 15-20). I’m trying to work on pairings for them. I love hearing your reasons!

2 Likes

Severine and [name_f]Emeraude[/name_f] are my two favourites for you! Hard to choose between them though! I also have grown to like [name_f]Tisiphone[/name_f] for you as well though from your Ts list, lol. Not sure how you’d nickname that one in other languages though?

1 Like

I suppose you could do the initials ME nn [name_f]Emmy[/name_f]/Emi, too? If you like [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] in theory, but none of the full names work for your family. [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] [name_f]Edith[/name_f] or [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] Everild or something like that? I’m not 100% familiar with your current list, but it might be an option for you. :blush:

1 Like

Kalliope!
[name_f]Kalliope[/name_f] means “beautiful voice”. In Greek mytholgy [name_f]Kalliope[/name_f] was the muse of eloquence, philosophy and epic poetry.
The “io” gives it a little connection to H’s and A’s names and the “li” to your own name.
A nickname could be [name_f]Kallie[/name_f].

1 Like

I like all the suggestions given so far and like others have said it’s so hard to only choose one!
I don’t know how much help I’ll be as this isn’t really a suggestion just an opinion on names you’ve already talked about (which I love so many of :blush:)
I was going to say [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]/Cordula because I do think they go with your boys’ names so well and then I thought about [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] because I like it so much, Especially the [name_f]Thisbe[/name_f] [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] combo :heart:

But I think the name that stands out the most to me as perfect with your boys’ names is [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]/Proserpine or [name_f]Persephone[/name_f].
I feel like it ties into the meanings of their names perfectly. H’s means keeper of the hour/time, A’s means resurrection, and [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]/Persephone was goddess of the Underworld and changing of the seasons. Kind of fits with the whole time/life cycle/rebirth theme.
Plus, it’s a really cool name. :blush:
The other thought I had, which I know has been suggested before, is [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]/Vespertine/Vespera. Again, because of the time thing. And in this case “resurrection” reminds me of sunrise and then [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] as sunset. I suppose any other night time or lunar goddess name could potentially work too.
I hope that made some kind of sense.
I totally cheated and gave more than one, sorry. :joy:

1 Like

My first thought was [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f], because there are lots of nicknames for it. It’s unique enough but not completely obscure, just like your boys’ names. I love the [name_u]French[/name_u] feel of [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], H0race, and [name_f]Ana[/name_f]$tase.

After reading some ofthe comments, however, I thought of [name_f]Esmerelda[/name_f] and [name_f]Esperanza[/name_f]. Both also have huge nickname potential and are more latinate in origin.

1 Like