What is your name? Do you like it? Were you teased?

[name]Just[/name] thought it would be useful to have a place where we can discuss our own names! So… What is your name? [name]Do[/name] you like it now? Did you like it as a child? Were you ever teased for having it? If so, in what way?

I’ll start:
My name is [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Lacey[/name]. I love my name now and as a small child but went through a period of teasing in my early teens. I was teased re: “fanny” and “frannie the trannie” and because my name was a bit different from everyone elses. I love my middle name, always have - It is my daughters name.

Thanks everyone, [name]Fran[/name]

My name is [name]Mia[/name] [name]Christina[/name]. When I was little I didn’t like it, and wanted to legally change it when I was adult. I’ve grown to love it though- I hate the popularity, but there is no other name in the world that would fit me so well.
I’ve never really been teased, but I do get sung “Mamma [name]Mia[/name]” alot. When I was younger and the name was unusual I got “Like [name]Mia[/name] [name]Hamm[/name]?”. That doesn’t happen any more. I’m a dancer, not a soccer player so for me it’s “like [name]Mia[/name] Michaels”.
The most annoying thing about my name, is I think people are saying it all the time. “Me” and “a” are such common syllables!
I would never name any one else [name]Mia[/name], but it fits me perfectly!

My name is [name]Freya[/name], and no, I’ve never really been teased. I know it’s really popular in the UK but it’s not even in the top thousand over here. When I’m introducing myself I usually have to correct pronouncing or spelling, but people get the hang of it. :slight_smile: I love my name.

My name is [name]Niamh[/name] [name]Eithne[/name] (neeve ay-he-ne) so yep I was teased. I grew up in Chicago and no one could pronounce it for their lifes.
I never really got teased because the kids wouldn’t ever really read my name, they just said it and they seemed to like it. It was refreshing after all the [name]Stephanie[/name]'s, [name]Tiffanie[/name]'s and [name]Melanie[/name]'s.
I love my name, I just wish it was more accessible to others. I love the meaning behind it and I love that it is such a strong name.

My name is [name]Jacey[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name],
don’t care for my first name But I would never change it.
Growing up I was called J.C [name]Penny[/name] and names of people who’s initials were J.C. haha.

I really liked [name]Freya[/name] for our coming daughter, but my mother in law actually thought I made it up.

My name is pretty common, but my mother is [name]June[/name] and she HATES it.

My name is [name]Sloane[/name], and I think it’s an awesome name!! Not common at all, which I think is great, but it’s also cool to meet a [name]Sloane[/name] once in a while, whcih I have. Two little girls, so that’s neat!
When I was younger I would always hear people say, “[name]Sloane[/name] is such a cool name!” In Speech class, church, the water park, even on the baseball field. I’ve heard, “If I have five kids, I’m naming them all [name]Sloane[/name],” and “I wish my name was [name]Sloane[/name]–I love saying that!” So obviously, everyone loves it, but it isn’t used that often. Maybe it’s one of those names that people like to hear on others, but they wouldn’t use it on their own kids.
I’ve never gotten teased at all about my name, everyone just always spells it wrong. [name]Sloan[/name] is the most common, but I have gotten Slone before. Pronounctions aren 't a problem, although one time in third grade a boy did call me “Slo-[name]Anne[/name].” It was not teasing, he was dead serious! So since then, close friends have called me Slo-[name]Anne[/name] every once in a while. (my brother calls me Slow, but he’s just a brother!)
I’ve been called Sloanie since I was a baby by family and close friends, and I like that because you can also spell it [name]SloanE[/name], just so people remember never to forget that e! That’s my pet peeve, when people forget my e. :slight_smile: My name has also allowed me to take interest in the spelling and pn of other people’s names. I always want to make sure I spell a name right and pn it right, because I know how it feels to get your name misspelled all the time.

Overall I really love my name. I think it ages well, fits on any type of girl, and is a name that’s ready to be popular–although I hope it never gets too popular. I do recommend people use it more----I think it’s such a beautiful and classy name!!! :slight_smile:

My name is [name]Rose[/name].

I love my name. It’s pretty and feminine, but short (like me) and not too frilly. I got ‘[name]Rosie[/name]’ a lot when I was little, but I was always quick to shoot that down. There are very few people who call me [name]Rosie[/name], and those people are special exceptions to the rule.

I didn’t really get teased for my name when I was younger. The only person who ever tried to bug me was my brother, but don’t all older brothers do that? He used to say '[name]Rose[/name]‘s nose is like a hose’, which he got off of a Family [name]Channel[/name] ad (though that wasn’t actually what the ad said exactly). It annoyed me, but it wasn’t traumatizing or anything. It was just my idiot brother being my idiot brother.

The only thing I don’t like about my name is that it closes a lot of doors as far as naming my own future children. I wouldn’t be comfortable using any flower or foliage names, or any names derived from the word ‘rose’. It sucks because I love a lot of floral names ([name]Iris[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Lavender[/name]).

My name is [name]Gabrielle[/name], so I grew up with a ton of different nicknames. I only ever got teased for my last name, but that’s a different story.

My name is [name]Toni[/name]. I hated it growing up, but now I think it’s sorta cool.

and yes… I was teased: “Toe…Knee!”, “[name]Tony[/name] the [name]Tiger[/name]”, etc

My name is [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Eve[/name], and I love it. I think my mum was ahead of her time.

I never got teased, although a lot of people have trouble with the pronunciation. I also had one guy mention that he thought [name]Imogen[/name] sounded like a pharmaceutical company.

My name is [name]Meredith[/name]. I don’t remember ever being teased for it. I use to not like it when I was younger, it felt so clunky and when I told people my name they would almost always say “[name]Megan[/name]?” umm NO. Mer-e-dith. The biggest problem I’ve had is that people just can’t seem to figure out how to spell it, which is quite shocking to me still. They always want to spell it [name]Meridith[/name], or [name]Merideth[/name]. I mean, REALLY? It was spelled [name]Meridith[/name] in my high school year book my senior year. I thought, I’ve been here 4 years and you STILL can’t spell it?! I still have friends who can’t spell it right either. Anyways, growing up I was the only [name]Meredith[/name] around, and I didn’t actually meet another [name]Meredith[/name] until I was a [name]Junior[/name] in college (I’m 25). I love my name now. It was my grandmother’s maiden name and so I feel a special connection to her now that she’s gone.

My name is [name]Sydney[/name]. I’ve never been teased (although I was reminded in first grade that the only thing that rhymes with [name]Sydney[/name] is “kidney,” haha).
I like my name because of what it MEANS to me (it’s after my grandfather), but I was never crazy about it, because I’ve always known other Sydneys. Sometimes I wish that I’d been named [name]Sidonie[/name]/[name]Sidonia[/name] as an alternative, or [name]Adelaide[/name] (since it’s also a city in Australia, like [name]Sydney[/name], and therefore similar), or [name]Louisa[/name] (after my other grandfather, [name]Louis[/name]).
But altogether, it’s not a bad name. Not thrilling, but not awful.

NameGoddess

My name is [name]Lyndsay[/name]. I’ve never likes it, but i haven’t been teased for it. Well, when i was in middle-high school, i had one friend who always said LynD-say because he thought it was so weird how my name is spelled. It wasn’t mean spirited though, so I’m not sure it counts as teasing.

I saw the name Lindsley and i hate it. So now my brother calls me that all the time in a teasing fashion.

My name is very straightforward: [name]Sara[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. My sister is [name]Mary[/name] [name]Ann[/name]. My parents wanted simple, Biblical names that couldn’t be nicknamed. I was never made fun of for my name, but there were always other [name]Sara/name’s around; whereas my sister was the only one her age with her name (this was in the 1980s). There are 2 [name]Sara[/name]'s now in my husband’s family, but we have different middle names, so she is “[name]Sara[/name]” and I am “[name]Sara[/name] [name]Jane[/name].” I think it’s kind of endearing, but I told my husband if we have a girl, she will not have [name]Sara[/name] in her name–it’s too overused!

My name is [name]Nicola[/name] [name]Joanne[/name].

I was always called [name]Nicky[/name] which in primary school came with lots of nicknames - [name]Nicky[/name] Picky, Tricky [name]Nicky[/name], Sticky [name]Nicky[/name] etc. however they were all used as terms of endearment rather than to tease me.

My mother has always called me Picklebum!

As a child, I felt that my name was quite plain and longed for something more fancy like [name]Isabella[/name].

In secondary school my friends convinced me to change the spelling of my name from [name]Nicky[/name] to [name]Nikki[/name] as this was the ‘girl’ way of spelling it - I have spelled it this way ever since.

I am now in the final year of medical school. I quite like how ‘normal’ my name is and think it fits well with my husband’s name - [name]Daniel[/name]. I found that consultant doctors will not refer to me as [name]Nikki[/name] and always call me [name]Nicola[/name] so in a professional capacity I use [name]Nicola[/name] and I use [name]Nikki[/name] with my friends and family.

I am happy with my name now.

My name is [name]Hana[/name] [name]Tyler[/name]. I really do hate my name. Eeryone spells my name like [name]Hanna[/name]/[name]Hannah[/name] . I’ve never really had any teasing, but someone told me once that my name was a little childish, but it has worked for me for my WHOLE LIFE. I hate the spelling of my name, too. I hate my middle name because it’s more of a name for a boy. When my husband once asked if we could name one of our expecting twins “[name]Hana[/name]”, like my name, I [name]SAID[/name] NO! As a child, I went through a year of elementary school loving my name, but the next I hated it.

My name is [name]Lesley[/name] and I hated it growing up. It is always misspelled ([name]Leslie[/name]) and I had to gently explain that my version is the correct female version. I have been called [name]Lisa[/name] and teased with “Lesi”.
That said, I did not know another [name]Lesley[/name] growing up and went through HS with only one other [name]Leslie[/name] a year above me from the neighboring town. None in college but now I do have a friend [name]Leslie[/name]!
I pronounce is “Lez - lee” (a hard “s”) and she pronounces it “Less - lee” ( a soft “s”).
I like my spelling though! Now I like all “place names” that end in -ley. I guess I would say I am neutral on my name now.

I’m [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Mariska[/name], and I have always been quite satisfied with my name. :slight_smile:

I was born at the end of [name]Jennifer[/name]'s time at the top, so I’ve known many others. Unlike a lot of [name]Jens[/name] I know, I’ve never hated it for being common. My middle name did make it seem a bit different but I never used it as a kid (in fact, I kept it mostly hidden as my special secret… most people assumed the M was for [name]Marie[/name]).

I was only teased for my last name, and by my brother (Who decided to substitute “[name]Jen[/name]” for “[name]Genevieve[/name]”, pronounced the English way). I go by [name]Jen[/name] or [name]Jennifer[/name], never [name]Jenny[/name]. My mom taught me really young that that’s not my name and that I could correct people who tried to call me that. So some friends would call me [name]Jenny[/name] if they really wanted to make me angry!

[name]Emma[/name] [name]Katherine[/name].

Name after a great-grandmother and a great-aunt. For the longest I hated my name because I felt like it wasn’t “real” and that I should’ve been named [name]Emily[/name].
But then I learned that they are from two completely different roots! and that was comforting as a little kid.
I like that I don’t know a lot of twentysomethings named [name]Emma[/name].

Also as a kid, I didn’t like that my brother and sister had names that could be Latinized (like my mom would call my brother [name]Guillermo[/name] for [name]William[/name] and my sister [name]Julietta[/name] (hooleeetta) for [name]Julianna[/name]). But I also got over that.