What is your opinion on "Newly Invented Names?"

Yesterday I heard the name Tayleigh! She named her daughter Tayleigh!!!

What is your opinion on them?

My opinion on the name Tayleigh is that it feels very invented. It seems very weird too. I really just can’t figure out really what I think about this name!

I can’t stand made-up names. Tayleigh is awful.

Not a big fan of the mash-up! Also, ‘tail-y’ is how it sounds. Did they like [name]Taylor[/name] but it was not unique enough or were indecisive? Did they like [name]Kayleigh[/name] (I used to love that name too, when it was a beautiful song on the radio in the 80s*), but they wanted to use it with a T to honor someone like dad or grandpa - or both?? So confusing! Poor Tayleigh. Is it too late to say I’m sorry!

*The video: Marillion - Kayleigh - YouTube

I sort of like it, but I dont at the same time. It sounds classic in a way, like [name]Taylor[/name] or [name]Kaleigh[/name] or [name]Leigh[/name]. It somewhat looks nice in writing, until you take a closer look. And then when you say it, it just sounds fake. I dont know.

I seldom hear invented names that are truly original, new ideas. They’re nearly always variations of mega popular names. I guess some folks think that changing a few letters removes the name from the crowd. I think, since so many others do it, you just end up with a zillion silly names that are still more or less the same name. Instead of just following a name trend, they are now following a spin-off trend, which I think is actually worse! It drives me nuts! I suppose, however, it’s entirely possible to create a name that is truly original and intelligent, although, I’m not sure I’ve heard of any recently…

I agree that I totally cringe at yooneek names, but then I feel a little guilty because if you think about it, all names had to be invented somehow. Although, I’m sorry, but [name]Nevaeh[/name] is on the very top of my “Names I Hate” list. I don’t mean to offend anyone, but just reversing a word seems lazy, not to mention I don’t care for the pronunciation. Other names that make me want to go to sleep because they seem lazy (again I don’t mean to offend anyone, it’s just something personal) are: Boy, [name]Guy[/name], Hunk…you get the picture.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I truly didn’t mean to =]

I have certainly heard worse, but it does have a certain fakeness to it. To each their own, I suppose, but I think [name]Talia[/name] would have been a better option :slight_smile: