What makes your top names?

So I’m not asking you to pick a favourite like I did in my other post, but I was wondering what makes your top names? You can use the actual name as an example, if you like. Or if you don’t have a favourite, what to you makes “The Perfect Name”?

My favourite is [name]Violet[/name] [name]Graciella[/name] _____ [name]Hope[/name].

[name]Violet[/name] is just a personal love… I just really can’t get over it! At one point I thought I had… Then I just came right back to it!

[name]Graciella[/name] is after my mother, [name]Graziella[/name]. She hates her name so she goes by [name]Grace[/name], and one day I asked her why she hated it so much and she said because the “z” makes it so harsh sounding. She said she would really like it much better if it were with a “c”, so viola - [name]Graciella[/name]. It also represents my Italian heritage, so I like that. I used to think I would go with just [name]Grace[/name], since that is what my mother goes by, but [name]Grace[/name] is becoming such a filler name, and [name]Graciella[/name] is just so much more unique! Also, it goes much better with [name]Hope[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] is my middle name, and I would really like to give it to my future daughter. Also, this could start a fmialy theme with always having a virtue name somewhere in there, with my mom being [name]Grace[/name] and me [name]Hope[/name].

_______ is because I want her to have one more name to call her own. A name that isn’t related to anyone or anything, is just beautiful and goes perfectly to complete it. I guess [name]VIolet[/name] could just be that name, but since there are two family names I think there should be two non-family names… imo. I don’t really have any ideas yet, I just know it should be short (2 or less syllables).

So yeah, what makes up your favourite name?

Right now, my favorite name is [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Louise[/name].

[name]Juliet[/name]- [name]Shakespeare[/name]. I am such a [name]Shakespeare[/name] fan, and [name]Juliet[/name] is such a romantic and gorgeous name! I would even deal with the [name]Julie[/name] nn if I had to, as long as I had my [name]Juliet[/name].
[name]Louise[/name] is the middle name of my mom and my grandma. I’ve always thought it was pretty, and it fits well with [name]Juliet[/name]. I want a family name in there SOMEWHERE, because I was always irke that I didn’t have on. I may change it, though, because sometimes I feel like I’m stuttering when I say [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Louise[/name]! But then it makes me smile =)

But then I come to [name]Lily[/name] -something-. I just can’t seem to get past [name]Lily[/name]! I’m a bit of a hippie, so its floral nature makes sense, and I really, really love [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] is [name]Harry[/name]'s mom’s name. All-in-all, such a GORGEOUS name. Drat that popularity!

For my boy, [name]Henry[/name] [name]Alan[/name].
[name]Henry[/name] I fell in love with while reading “The Time [name]Traveler[/name]'s Wife.” In my opinion, there is no greater name. It just makes me soo happy to hear!
[name]Alan[/name] is my uncle, who passed away from [name]Lou[/name] [name]Gehrig[/name]'s disease five years ago. It used to be Albus (for Dumbleore), but then I had a dream about baby [name]Henry[/name], resembling my uncle, so it become cemented forever as [name]Alan[/name]. I want to honor him!

A name should be:
Cute. Fun. I like spunky names.
A real name/word. Nothing made-up.
[name]Able[/name] to work as a child and an adult.
Easy to pronounce.
No funky spellings.
Not overly popular or American-ized.
Nickname-able.
Nothing too long and over-the-top.
(For Boys Only)
Not too butch.
Traditional.

Current Girls Favorites:

[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Ever[/name]
[name]Aubrey[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] (Only one that breaks my nickname rule. It’d prob be a MN)
[name]Gillian[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Kinsley[/name]

Current Boys Favorites:

[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]True[/name]
[name]Finnegan[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]

Right now my favorite is [name]Eva[/name] [name]Giselle[/name] C____. [name]Eva[/name] is just gorgeous and it is usable in both English and [name]German[/name], which is important to us. I love the nn [name]Evie[/name], so cute and girly. I think [name]Eva[/name] can fit any child and really has an international feel to it. [name]Eva[/name] also compliments our top boys name [name]Andreas[/name]. [name]Giselle[/name] is just beautiful and flows well with [name]Eva[/name]. This is a new combo for me. It took me awhile to compile some girls names that complement our very American/[name]German[/name] boys list but I finally feel like I have some good options. If [name]Eva[/name] has a sister she would likely be [name]Isabel[/name] [name]Renee[/name], a name we both love. [name]Renee[/name] is after grandma. “[name]Ace[/name]”, “[name]Evie[/name]”, and “[name]Elle[/name]” are very cute together imo.

Current favorites:
[name]Eva[/name] [name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name] [name]Renee[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Anna[/name]
[name]Emilia[/name] [name]Iris[/name]

[name]Evie[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Rose[/name], and [name]Millie[/name].

[name]Andreas[/name] [name]Michael[/name]
[name]Julian[/name] [name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Felix[/name]
[name]Silas[/name] [name]Peter[/name]

Right now, it is probably:
[name]Maren[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Maren[/name] means “star of the sea” which works for me, because I love water as an element. [name]Maren[/name] looks and sounds kinda poetic and is very pleasant to hear. I quite like Rs in names, so I don’t mind the R repetition in the whole name. [name]Rosalie[/name] is my long time love. [name]Love[/name] the meaning and how it looks with [name]Maren[/name]. My preferences in girls’ names change quickly, but I love poetic names (the ones I think are poetic). I love Shakespearean names, classical yet spunky and not overused names with some kind of natural element, which I think [name]Maren[/name] is. Boys’ names are easier for me, I just have my favorites and that’s it.

For girls, my favorite is [name]Claire[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Marie[/name].

I chose [name]Claire[/name] because I think it’s simple and pretty, and I have a love for one-syllable names, but they’re so very hard to find great ones that I love. Also, I’m not a fan of Biblical names, so that was important to me to make sure there weren’t any Biblical names, especially as a first name.

[name]Georgiana[/name], I just find it very pretty, and I prefer it pronounced like jor-[name]JAY[/name]-na. Also, in a really weird way it honors someone very important to me. But I won’t even attempt to explain that.

[name]Marie[/name] is my middle name, and I would love to pass this on. My mom chose this because it was the name of her grandmother and kind of a nod to her very Italian family. My mom means a lot to me, so I feel this also honors her in a way.

Runners-Up:
[name]Chloe[/name] - I think it’s very cute, and I recently met a girl named [name]Chloe[/name] who was smart and played in the drumline, which made me love the name.
[name]Emmeline[/name] - With the last syllable pronounced as “lynn”, this kind of honors another great scientist. I also love the nickname [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Emmy[/name].

For boys, my favorite name is [name]Darwin[/name] [name]Thomas[/name].

[name]Darwin[/name] is obviously because of [name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name]. Not only did he revolutionize science, but his work inspired me and now I love science and plan on becoming a high school biology teacher. So this name is great for general and personal reasons.

I have a really tough time with middle names for [name]Darwin[/name], it switches so much. But I chose [name]Thomas[/name] for right now because, despite it being a Biblical name, I got it from The Matrix. I love the meaning of the movie, and it’s just wonderful, so I chose the real name of the main character, [name]Neo[/name].

Runner-Up:
[name]Morgan[/name] - I just adore this name. I think it’s a great boy’s name.

I love [name]Peter[/name] and [name]Veronica[/name]. There is a book by [name]Marilyn[/name] Sachs called “[name]Peter[/name] and [name]Veronica[/name]” that I read when I was little. I loved that book so much because it is very funny.
I love the [name]Laura[/name] Ingalls [name]Wilder[/name] books so much, too. My favorite names in the [name]Wilder[/name] books are [name]Laura[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], and [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] even though [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is not very nice. I also love the name of [name]Laura[/name]'s friend [name]India[/name].
And as everyone knows, I love [name]Tommy[/name] and [name]Annika[/name] in “[name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking”.
In the book “[name]Heidi[/name]”, I love [name]Heidi[/name]'s friend [name]Clara[/name] and the butler [name]Sebastian[/name].
In “The Voyages of [name]Doctor[/name] Doolittle” I love the character named [name]Tommy[/name]. He is one of my all-time favorites.
And you know I love [name]Alice[/name] of “[name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland”. She is one of my very favorite characters ever.

Right now I am in love with the name [name]Tabitha[/name] nn [name]Tibbie[/name]. It used to be [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Alice[/name], but seeing as how popular those are becoming, I now love [name]Tabitha[/name] more. The combination I like most is [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Daphne[/name], but I also love [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Seraphine[/name]. My second favorite is [name]Dorothy[/name], nn [name]Dottie[/name]. I love the combos [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Meryl[/name] [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name] [name]Georgia[/name].
Mostly, my style is probably long names with many nicknames. The others on my list include [name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Francine[/name] nn [name]Francie[/name], [name]Delphina[/name] nn [name]Delphie[/name], [name]Georgina[/name] nn [name]Georgie[/name], and [name]Juliet[/name] nn [name]Julie[/name].
On the boy’s side, I love classic names. Right now my top two favorites are [name]Leonard[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Maxwell[/name] nn [name]Max[/name]. My previous favorites are [name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] nn [name]Joey[/name]. Again, I love nicknames. [name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] also makes my list, and [name]Henry[/name], though that’s the only one without a nickname.

My favourite girls name at the moment is [name]Kerensa[/name], I don’t have a middle name set yet, but I think the meaning of ‘love’ is just adorable and I love that it is cornish because I spent most holidays in Cornwall when I was younger so it holds a lot of special memories for me. So I like a lot of Cornish names for that and I like Greek names for my heritage and French names because of the time that I have spent in [name]France[/name].

I know a lot of Namberrites really dislike nicknames as given names, but I think it might be a british thing (from looking at our most popular names and from the children I know) because there are some that I just love, like [name]Marnie[/name] for a girl and [name]Rudy[/name] for a boy.

Names with good meanings are usually important for me, otherwise [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name] would definitely be favourites, I wish I could get past their meanings so much! I adore [name]Felix[/name] and virtue names like [name]Justice[/name], [name]Verity[/name], [name]Hope[/name], [name]Constance[/name] and [name]Prudence[/name].

I know it is for a lot of people and I can definitely see why, but for me, honouring family isn’t too important, my parents have even said to me that they would feel a little strange if I used their names for future children, however I would really love it if my parents or anyone else who I would have thought of honouring really liked that names I had chosen.

nice post!

• [name]Elena[/name] :slight_smile:

As silly as it sounds, I like names that are fun to say. This is of course somewhat subjective, but certain names just make me smile when I say them. I definitely feel that way about [name]Paloma[/name]”just wonderful! [name]Delphine[/name] also makes me happy, but in a different way. [name]Paloma[/name] is a lush tropical forest, whereas [name]Delphine[/name] is like a sweet little cloud rolling by on a sunny day. And then there’s [name]Annabel[/name], which I just can’t seem to get over. [name]Annabel[/name] reminds me of winding stream”neat and tidy but making that nice bubbly noise that some streams make. I just wish there weren’t so many Belles/Bellas/Isabels/Isabellas these days!

My current favorite girls’ name is [name]Ailsa[/name]. To me, the sound of it is airy, ethereal, and just beautiful. It comes from the Scottish island [name]Ailsa[/name] [name]Craig[/name] (craig meaning rock), and that connection also gives it an anchor, a certain strength along with its beauty. I have been in love with [name]Scotland[/name] since even before marrying my half-Scottish hubby, so I like that it comes from there. To top it all off, I found out that the name of the island was derived from an ancient Norse word meaning ‘elf victory.’ To a fantasy nerd like me, that is utterly awesome. Of course this on its own wouldn’t be enough, but the name is just so pretty and also fits our other criteria of being rare in the US without sounding too ‘out there.’

Today:
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Jane[/name]!

[name]Evelyn[/name]- First born of my dads siblings, passed away as a baby

[name]August[/name]- I just loove it for a girl, NN Auggie! would probably be called this instead of [name]Evelyn[/name], even though I love it as well…

[name]Jane[/name]- Grandma’s middle name, + part of family name, & is timeless
:slight_smile:

Interesting topic!

I have found that my top names tend to have either literary or film roots - as in I will love a character and then love their name

That said, I definitely do not love every name of the characters I like, they have to have an extra oomph! to push them to the top

I like spunky names, names with flair and pizazz, but I also names that have a touch of whimsy to them, or a bit of bohemia woven in

I guess I’m pretty all over the place

some of my current favourites:

[name]Jade[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Anne[/name] - this one seems random with my others, but I love it!
[name]Thalie[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] / [name]Beatriz[/name]
[name]Jorja[/name]
[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

For boys names I am much more varied, there’s no real criteria that I’ve ever been able to pinpoint