What names could lead to nickname Indy?

The name [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] has captivated me with its possibility of nickname [name_f]Indy[/name_f], but im not sure im brave enough to name a kid a colour! Can anyone think of some other names that could lead to nn [name_f]Indy[/name_f]?

As a child I was captivated by [name_u]Indiana[/name_u] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] and I love the connection to independent. Thanks!

Well, [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] would be really cool and bold. [name_u]Indiana[/name_u] and [name_f]Indira[/name_f] make the nickname a bit more obvious, but [name_f]Idina[/name_f] could be tweaked to [name_f]Indy[/name_f].

[name_f]India[/name_f] could get [name_f]Indy[/name_f] or [name_f]Indie[/name_f]

Any other ideas? [name_m]Even[/name_m] something stretching itā€¦

[name_f]India[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] (personally not my taste but it could work)
[name_u]Indiana[/name_u]
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]

Thatā€™s all I can think of right now. [name_m]Even[/name_m] [name_f]Indy[/name_f]/[name_f]Indie[/name_f] by itself could work if you truly love it. I know a girl who is named [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] and she loves her name even though its ā€œnicknameyā€. Some nicknames can also work as first names, and I think that [name_f]Indie[/name_f] could possibly be one of them. I wish you well :slight_smile:

Oh and P.S. basically any name ending in ā€œindaā€ could work as well.

[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]

What about [name_f]Lindi[/name_f] or Indina?

[name_u]Indiana[/name_u] I think is super cute!

This is a bit of an odd list, but you did say it could be a stretch! I think that any name ending in a strong ā€œinā€ sound could go to [name_f]Indy[/name_f], in a pinch

[name_f]Idony[/name_f]
Independence
Indiece
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]
[name_f]Indra[/name_f]
Indray
[name_f]Indre[/name_f]
Idil
[name_f]Ianna[/name_f]
Idarah
Idahlia
Ilandre
[name_f]Cynthia[/name_f] (if [name_f]Cindy[/name_f], why not [name_f]Indy[/name_f]?)
[name_u]Burgundy[/name_u]
[name_f]Inaya[/name_f]
[name_f]Indah[/name_f]
[name_f]Indea[/name_f]
[name_f]Indiah[/name_f]
[name_f]Indeya[/name_f]
[name_f]Indica[/name_f]
[name_f]Indiara[/name_f]
[name_f]Indianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Indeera[/name_f]
[name_f]Indiya[/name_f]
[name_f]Inessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Adalin[/name_f]
[name_u]Adin[/name_u]
[name_f]Airin[/name_f]
[name_u]Aspin[/name_u]
[name_f]Braelin[/name_f]
[name_f]Brittin[/name_f]
[name_f]Caelin[/name_f]
[name_f]Carolin[/name_f]
[name_f]Edin[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelin[/name_f]
[name_f]Kristin[/name_f]
[name_u]Lorin[/name_u]

This comes up every few weeksā€¦ and the honest answer is thereā€™s not really that many without massively stretching limits.

[name_f]India[/name_f], [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] and [name_f]Indira[/name_f] are as far as Iā€™d go to make it work. But honestly Iā€™d just use [name_f]Indy[/name_f] (although Iā€™m not sure about elsewhere, in the UK ā€˜ā€™[name_f]Indie[/name_f]ā€˜ā€™ is a stylistic term - first to describe Independently produced music, but now it refers to fashion and other things too. Itā€™s like the equivalent of hipster, so feels kinda pretentious as a name to me).

Iā€™ve been loving [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] nn [name_f]Indy[/name_f], especially since my primary partner and I are huge [name_f]Indianna[/name_f] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] fans. Something about the combination of prim, lovely [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] with such a sparky, sassy, rough-and-tumble nickname seems absolutely perfect to me.

ETA: I would strongly caution you to stay far, far away from [name_f]India[/name_f]. Itā€™s been criticized as colonialist (and rightly so). I know a girl with this name who was so bothered by the implications that she started going by her middle name once she got to college.

[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]! I donā€™t think itā€™s been mentioned yet, but [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] ā€œ[name_f]Indy[/name_f]ā€ is one of my all time favorite full name/nickname combinations.

[name_f]India[/name_f], [name_u]Indiana[/name_u], [name_f]Indigo[/name_f], [name_f]Indira[/name_f], and the -ind- names like [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] are all good suggestions.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is definitely [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] nn [name_f]Indi[/name_f].

Other than the names mentioned, the first thing I thought of was [name_f]Melinda[/name_f]

We used [name_f]Indira[/name_f] and love it, but I also like Indrina, [name_f]Indra[/name_f], [name_f]India[/name_f], Inara (Itā€™d be a stretch but maybe with a D middle?), or just [name_f]Indie[/name_f].

[name_f]Indigo[/name_f]
[name_f]India[/name_f]
[name_f]Belinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Calinda[/name_f] / [name_f]Kalinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Jacinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Josalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]
[name_u]Lindsay[/name_u]
[name_f]Melinda[/name_f]

Sorry for any repeats!

[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] and [name_f]Belinda[/name_f] would be my favourite choices

1 Like

Iā€™m loving the suggestion of [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]ā€¦ I love the nickname [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as well, so [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] plus [name_f]Indy[/name_f] is SWOON!!! Only downsideā€¦ same meaning as my first daughter ā€œlightā€ and it ends with -a like [name_f]Elena[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] are pretty different still, what do you folks think??

Great suggestion to get [name_f]Indy[/name_f] from [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]. Along those linesā€¦what about [name_f]Melinda[/name_f] or [name_f]Belinda[/name_f]?