What names did you or your partner reject when naming your children?

and why?

Zachary and [name_m]Felix[/name_m] because I have family members with those names.

Excalibur, [name_m]Hansel[/name_m], and [name_m]Klaus[/name_m] because no.

1 Like

:joy: [name_f]My[/name_f] husband suggested that one and that’s how we eventually ended up with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. I’m sure there are some people that could pull it off!

7 Likes

Naija/Naya - because here in [name_m]Germany[/name_m] ‚naja‘ is word (means well) and he didn’t wanted a word name for our daughter.

Casper - because of the ghost :woman_facepalming:t3::see_no_evil:

And all girls name that are ending on the ee-sound, he just doesn’t like it. He prefers girls names that are ending on the a/ah-sound.

He rejected: [name_m]Merlin[/name_m], [name_m]Apollo[/name_m], [name_f]Zelda[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f], and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]. Why? He said those names were too fantasy themed. I’m pregnant now and still ask about [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] nearly ever day.:pleading_face:

I rejected:

1. Billie (boy or girl) because the name [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_m]Burg[/name_m] sounds terrible to me

2. Atwood…honestly because I’m just not sure if it sounds like a wearable name. I want to like it, it has a great personal meaning to us, but I ran it by a friend who hated it.

3. Wilfred - because it’s his Grandfather’s name who he didn’t know and by all accounts who was not a nice person.

1 Like

My husband isn’t a namenerd - just a regular, non-name obsessed person. So he only suggested a handful of names but ultimately left it up to me. Out of the few he mentioned, I shot down [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] for a girl, and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u] for a boy. Nothing wrong with them, I just didn’t love them.

From my list, my husband shot down:

Augustine, [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m], [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m], [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m], [name_m]Eleazar[/name_m], Faunus, [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], [name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m], [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m], [name_m]Uriel[/name_m] and [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] for a boy.

Amabel, [name_f]Astoria[/name_f], Belisent, [name_f]Claudia[/name_f], [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], [name_f]Euphemia[/name_f], Euphrosyne, [name_f]Eurydice[/name_f], [name_f]Fauna[/name_f], [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], Nymeria, [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Petunia[/name_f], [name_f]Philomena[/name_f], Plumeria, [name_f]Patience[/name_f] and [name_f]Queenie[/name_f] for a girl.

And that’s just scratching the surface. He has vetoed so many of my names I’ve honestly lost track.

1 Like

Newton nn [name_m]Newt[/name_m]. I got the sense he felt it might feel embarrassing for the kid someday. I can kinda understand that for the nickname, but I still think [name_m]Newton[/name_m] is a pretty strong name. But… if I’m being honest, I’m only interested in [name_m]Newton[/name_m] for the nickname :sweat_smile: