What names do you feel are "preppy?"

This is just out of curiousity, what names do you feel are rather preppy? To me, preppy and kre8tiv are in different veins, I am not particular on style just looking for some ideas :slight_smile: Thanks Berries!

I always thought preppy was ā€˜school styleā€™. I mean really posh schools. Often these children have names like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] paired with nicknames aka [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] and [name_u]Clemmie[/name_u]. [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] nn Cessie etc. I donā€™t know though really. I just think of ties and glasses when you say preppy.

Preppy feeling names in my opinion are very unisex and surname on girls and strong surname sounding names on boys

• B-
    [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m] ā€œWhittā€
    [name_u]Wallace[/name_u]
    [name_m]Hoyt[/name_m]
    [name_m]Bryant[/name_m]
    [name_m]Warner[/name_m]
    [name_u]Tate[/name_u]
    [name_m]Quaide[/name_m]
    [name_u]Blaine[/name_u]
    [name_m]Brooks[/name_m]
    [name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
    [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]
    [name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
    [name_m]Hayes[/name_m]
    [name_m]Kiefer[/name_m]
    [name_u]Keaton[/name_u]
    [name_m]Orson[/name_m]
    [name_m]Preston[/name_m]
    [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
    [name_m]Aston[/name_m]
    [name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
    [name_m]Boone[/name_m]
    [name_m]Thad[/name_m]
    [name_m]Teague[/name_m]
    [name_m]Silas[/name_m]
    [name_m]Royston[/name_m]
    [name_u]Remy[/name_u]
    [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
    [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] ā€œ[name_u]Rafe[/name_u]ā€
    [name_m]Milo[/name_m]
    [name_m]Marco[/name_m]
    [name_u]Niko[/name_u]
    [name_m]Lawson[/name_m]
    [name_m]Kellen[/name_m]
    [name_u]Murphy[/name_u]
    [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
    [name_m]Garrick[/name_m]
    [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
    [name_m]Crispin[/name_m]
    [name_m]Dax[/name_m]
    [name_u]Cal[/name_u]
    [name_m]Alec[/name_m]
    [name_m]Mack[/name_m]
    [name_m]Colton[/name_m]
    [name_m]Brantley[/name_m]
    [name_m]Boyd[/name_m]
    [name_m]Cuyler[/name_m]
    [name_m]Callum[/name_m]
    [name_m]Damon[/name_m]
    [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] ā€œ[name_u]Dash[/name_u]ā€
    [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]
    [name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
    [name_m]Grant[/name_m]
    [name_u]Jude[/name_u]
    [name_u]Kerr[/name_u]
    [name_u]Rory[/name_u]
    [name_u]Reid[/name_u]
    [name_u]Bryce[/name_u]
    [name_u]Royce[/name_u]
    [name_m]Thayer[/name_m]
    [name_u]Tiernan[/name_u]
    [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]

• G-
    [name_u]Kendall[/name_u]
    Ellason
    [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
    [name_m]Langston[/name_m]
    [name_u]Parker[/name_u]
    [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
    [name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
    [name_u]Ashby[/name_u]
    [name_u]Darby[/name_u]
    [name_u]Delaney[/name_u]
    [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u]
    [name_u]Blair[/name_u]
    [name_m]Kensington[/name_m]
    [name_u]Oakley[/name_u]
    [name_f]Tandy[/name_f]
    [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f]
    [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
    [name_f]Paige[/name_f]
    [name_u]Channing[/name_u]
    [name_u]Auden[/name_u]
    [name_f]Afton[/name_f]
    [name_f]Brighton[/name_f]
    [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]
    [name_u]Colbie[/name_u]
    [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
    [name_u]Sutton[/name_u]
    [name_u]Harper[/name_u]
    [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
    [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]
    [name_u]Tatum[/name_u]
    [name_f]Maren[/name_f]
    [name_u]Sydney[/name_u]
    [name_u]Sheridan[/name_u]
    [name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
    [name_u]Fallon[/name_u]
    [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
    [name_u]Karsten[/name_u]
    [name_u]Tristen[/name_u]
    [name_u]Tierney[/name_u]
    [name_u]Whitney[/name_u]
    [name_u]Chandler[/name_u]
    [name_m]Lennox[/name_m] ā€œ[name_u]Lex[/name_u]ā€
    [name_u]Campbell[/name_u]
    [name_m]Kimball[/name_m]
    [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
    [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
    [name_f]Jolene[/name_f]
    [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
    [name_f]Annelise[/name_f]
    [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
    [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
    [name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
    [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
    [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f]
    [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
    [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
    [name_f]Karissa[/name_f]
    [name_u]Riley[/name_u]
    [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
    [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f]
    [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
    [name_u]Penny[/name_u]
    [name_u]Josie[/name_u]
    [name_u]Sage[/name_u]
    [name_u]Piper[/name_u]
    [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
    [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
    [name_u]Romy[/name_u]
    [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
    [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
    [name_u]Teagan[/name_u]
    [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u]
    [name_f]Cadence[/name_f]
    Wyndom

In this country, ā€˜preppyā€™ names are ones that are stereotypically associated with people at prep schools, like Whirligig said, really posh schools. Names like [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] nn [name_f]Hattie[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_m]Tarquin[/name_m], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_m]Rufus[/name_m], [name_m]Archibald[/name_m], [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] etc. I also agree with Whirligig about names like [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] nn [name_u]Clemmie[/name_u].
I donā€™t know what would be considered preppy in the US but I just googled it and I think maybe different names are considered preppy there?

Yeah. What do US Berries think?

US [name_u]Berry[/name_u] Here :slight_smile:

Preppy names here would be a lot of surname names (esp ones ending in -ton for boys) and unisex names. Also, for girls, long, elegant, classic names with unisex nicknames. Everything spelled right (no 'yā€™s place randomly, etc).
Some examples:
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] - boy
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m] - boy
[name_u]August[/name_u] - boy
[name_m]Benton[/name_m] - boy
[name_u]Ashton[/name_u] - boy
[name_m]Kenton[/name_m] - boy
[name_f]Atherton[/name_f] - boy
[name_u]Bailey[/name_u] - boy
[name_u]Parker[/name_u] - girl
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] - girl
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f], nn [name_u]Sam[/name_u] - girl
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f], nn [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] - girl
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f], nn [name_u]Joey[/name_u] - girl
[name_u]Daniell/name_u, nn [name_u]Danny[/name_u] - girl
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] - girl
[name_f]Alexandr/name_fa, nn [name_u]Alex[/name_u] - girl

We have similar sorts of schools in the US, but they are pretty concentrated on the east coast, and itā€™s only the really wealthy that use them. This is based on my understanding of public schools in the UK anyway. Most upper middle class go to public schools (that is I guess in UK terms a state school) and some to private schools but most of them arenā€™t really like the UK system. Most of them are religious based, even if theyā€™ve moved away from religious education, thatā€™s how they started. So to most Americans I think, preppy tends to be associated with a particular east coast wealthy life style. So naming wise it would be similar to the names popular in Oxford, I think. There is a lot of carry over from the UK idea of preppy names. Iā€™m not actually sure what names they are using, Iā€™m middle class so I donā€™t hang out with wealthy people, but I imagine Nameberryā€™s Yupster lists would be close.

Iā€™m from the USA and preppy names are normally set by popular students names. When I was in Highschool it was [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], [name_u]Whitney[/name_u], [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] and [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]. I think preppy is more an attitude or social class than a name style. I always assumed preppy and posh were similar.

Haha. Not everyone in [name_m]Oxford[/name_m] is posh because of the University hahaha!

Iā€™m just saying that the names there would be the same sort of names that would be considered preppy here. (and Iā€™m using it as an example only because I know about the names there from the study) In the US there isnā€™t as much of a class divide in naming styles, I think, the wealthy and middle class tend to name pretty similarly at least. The biggest divide is locational. If you live in the west or west coast or south, for instance. (Well and also race and religion but I donā€™t really want to talk about that here)

[name_m]Just[/name_m] take a look at the maps that are shown on [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name [name_m]Wizard[/name_m] for the names [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] (kind of yupster) vs [name_u]Harper[/name_u] (g) (surnames, popular in western states and the south).

There isnā€™t a divide in naming depending on where you live. There are [name_f]Kylie[/name_f] Annes and [name_m]Ty[/name_m] [name_f]Caitlyn[/name_f] [name_f]Elle[/name_f] Louises in [name_m]Oxford[/name_m] and every other county just as there are Sebastians, Henriettas and Charleses in [name_m]Oxford[/name_m] and every other county.

Preppy names I think are very popular names that in your grade you have/had 10+ (theoretically) children named this.

[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
[name_f]Sara[/name_f]/h
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] (for girls)
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_m]Connor[/name_m]
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]

Names like that.

Iā€™m talking about the naming trends in the US, itā€™s definitely different depending on your region/state. Thatā€™s not saying that [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] arenā€™t popular all over the state, but after the international favorites, there are regional differences. [name_m]Just[/name_m] look it up. Some of the names that you mentioned arenā€™t even trendy here, [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] isnā€™t on the charts and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] isnā€™t in the top 100 in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f] but is #30 in [name_u]California[/name_u]. [name_f]Caitlin[/name_f] was big in the US in the '80s and '90s so not really a popular college age name anymore. Whereas most Sebastians havenā€™t made it to college yet. So I guess [name_m]Oxford[/name_m] isnā€™t a good example.

To me, [US] preppy means northeastern, country-club, pearls/polos/sweaters tied around shoulders. Iā€™m with the pp who said that for girls itā€™s surnames, unisex names or buttoned-up names with boyish nns, while for boys itā€™s just fancy surnames.

Has anyone heard of the blog ā€œ[name_f]My[/name_f] Imaginary Well-Dressed Toddler Daughter?ā€ Most of the names on there Iā€™d consider preppy (in a yupster-bordering-on-hipster way.)

I think of [name_m]Cooper[/name_m] and [name_f]Paige[/name_f].

For everyone wondering what US ā€œpreppyā€ is, search ā€œpreppy styleā€ on Pinterest. Voila. Preppy in the US brings to mind Sperryā€™s, [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] Pulitzer, bow ties, pearls, button downs, pull over sweatshirts, sailboats, country clubs, [name_u]North[/name_u] Face, Vineyard Vines, and monograms on EVERYTHING. It also brings to mind images of the [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]'s.

Anyways, as far as namesā€¦

[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Harry[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]

(For boys, imagine a name you can add ā€œthe thirdā€ after. So classics/conservative-ish names.)

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]