What names do you see coming back?

I’ve been curious about this for awhile. What super dated names do you think will become fashionable again? Could [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], [name_f]Crystal[/name_f], [name_f]Debbie[/name_f], or even [name_f]Karen[/name_f] come back?

I guess since 1920s names are very fashionable now, I see names following the 100 year rule and coming back essentially after there’s few people alive of the old guard. Maybe there will be little Jennifers in 2080? Essentially, I think dated names come back after we forgot that they’re dated.

2 Likes

I’d love to see [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Thelma[/name_f], and [name_m]David[/name_m]!

1 Like

@jonquils I think [name_u]Michael[/name_u] has officially come back! I’ve met at least three kids named [name_u]Michael[/name_u]!

1 Like

I think typical 80s/90s names will make a comeback at some point:
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_f]Megan[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_u]Taylor[/name_u]
[name_f]Jessica[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_f]Tiffany[/name_f]

3 Likes

Oh! And [name_f]Amy[/name_f]! [name_m]How[/name_m] could I forget [name_f]Amy[/name_f]! I love [name_f]Amy[/name_f]! :blush:

6 Likes

I don’t think [name_f]Emily[/name_f] has ever left, it’s still #12 according to SSA as of 2018.

I can see names from [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] coming to [name_u]Lisa[/name_u] coming back.

2 Likes

That’s true. It’s one of the more timeless names that boomed in the 90s.

I also hope that [name_f]Laura[/name_f] doesn’t comeback, because I don’t want it getting super popular. (I need her all to myself :shushing_face:)

4 Likes

It’s so interesting how names vary regionally because there I know several Michaels my age (I’m 17) but no little ones.

I would LOVE to see a comeback from:

Jennifer
[name_f]Crystal[/name_f]
[name_f]Sheila[/name_f]
[name_u]Shannon[/name_u]
[name_f]Marlene[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlene[/name_f]
[name_f]Rochelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f]
[name_f]Michelle[/name_f]
[name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_f]Mercedes[/name_f]
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f]
[name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_u]Leland[/name_u]
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m]
[name_f]Justine[/name_f]
[name_f]Desiree[/name_f]

And many more, tbh…

1 Like

Perhaps 40 years or so from now, I could see it. I can especially see classics like [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Susan[/name_f], [name_m]Richard[/name_m], [name_m]Paul[/name_m], [name_m]Robert[/name_m], etc. gaining traction again.

Some of the '80s-'90s names will certainly take much longer to be rediscovered, if they ever are. But I do think [name_f]Brittany[/name_f] and [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] are going to be dated for a good while yet. They are still filtering through the mom stage, after all.

2 Likes

Since names like [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] have made a comeback and are really popular again, I can definitely see names like [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] becoming popular again.

1 Like

I personally don’t mind the name [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] but it’s definitely [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] territory and I’m not sure the world is quite ready to bring it back. I’d love to encounter a young [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] one day (perhaps nicknamed [name_f]Merry[/name_f]!) Others that could potentially make a comeback are those like [name_f]Aileen[/name_f] or [name_f]Colleen[/name_f]. The day I encounter a little [name_m]Keith[/name_m], [name_m]Kevin[/name_m], [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] or [name_m]Terrence[/name_m] would also put a smile on my face.

1 Like

[name_u]Meredith[/name_u] is a family name on my Mom’s side! [name_f]My[/name_f] 12 year-old cousin is named [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], and it’s the middle name of my uncle and grandfather, and numerous other men on that side. [name_f]My[/name_f] cousin is a girl though :slight_smile:

I would love to see the comeback of [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] (I love this name, even though most associate it with [name_u]Poe[/name_u]). Most of my others have already been said

3 Likes

I’ve always loved the way trends repeat themselves and the nostalgia of vintage names.

There are several early 20th century names names that are making a comeback right now, like [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_u]Billie[/name_u], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. [name_f]Edith[/name_f] is rising too. I want to see [name_u]Joan[/name_u], [name_f]Anita[/name_f], [name_m]Raymond[/name_m] & [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] to comeback but not be toooo popular. I don’t ever see [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] coming back and still scratch my head at the fact that it remained in the top 5 for 15 years.

With boy names, I think [name_u]James[/name_u] & [name_m]Charles[/name_m] have faded out in the last couple of decades to middle name status, but I’m sure they will make a comeback sooner than later. I think it’s interesting that [name_u]Liam[/name_u] has all but replaced [name_m]William[/name_m]. I don’t think it will stick forever but [name_u]Liam[/name_u] will be around for a long time.

Next 10 years of most popular boy names? [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_u]Liam[/name_u], [name_u]Milo[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_u]Eli[/name_u], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. As far as nicknames as first names in the US, [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_u]Eli[/name_u], are catching on/coming back. [name_m]Archie[/name_m], [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] & [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] seem distinctly British and I don’t think they will catch on here.

The 90s brought a wave of new and trendy names. I think [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] ran it’s course but is getting ready for a comeback. I could see [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] & [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] coming back for girls in the future. They are so tied to pop culture and spread like wildfire when the entered the scene, but fizzled quickly as well.

I think popular 1950s-70s names still feel dated but will see a resurgence in the next 10-20 years. Something like… [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_f]Shirley[/name_f], [name_f]Gloria[/name_f], [name_u]Lisa[/name_u], [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], [name_f]Valerie[/name_f], [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m], [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_m]Todd[/name_m], [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_m]Raymond[/name_m], [name_f]Amanda[/name_f], [name_f]Heather[/name_f], [name_m]David[/name_m], [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f], [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] & [name_f]Amy[/name_f] might see growth, especially as those generations become grandparents.

1 Like

These are the “old lady/man” names that I think we will be the names of a lot of babies in the next decade or so.

For girls:
[name_f]Adelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabina[/name_f]
[name_f]Betty[/name_f]?
[name_f]Doris[/name_f]?
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]?
[name_u]Jean[/name_u]?
[name_f]Shirley[/name_f]?
[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]?

For boys:
[name_m]Washington[/name_m]
[name_u]Gardner[/name_u]
[name_m]Jones[/name_m]
[name_m]Levy[/name_m]
[name_u]Allie[/name_u]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]

*?= not quite sure, I feel like they’re ready to come back, but still have that “dated” feel to them

1 Like