What names have we missed?

Stoker as a boys name. An [name_f]English[/name_f] word name meaning “furnace tender”, can be related back to author [name_m]Bram[/name_m] Stoker of Dracula

3 Likes

Ayomide (pronounced eye-oh-mee-dee). A Yoruba name meaning “my joy has arrived”.

I know that it is used for girls, but I’m not sure whether or not it is used for boys too.

5 Likes

i would love to see madlenka, a slavic diminutive of magdalena !

12 Likes

I think Mory deserves to be on Nameberry. It’s a [name_u]French[/name_u] name and also a nickname for [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], [name_f]Moriah[/name_f], etc.

5 Likes

And YouTube persona [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_u]Page[/name_u] has a daughter Mory

2 Likes

Yeah, I mentioned that here: Name sightings (Part 1) - #6757 by TheTempest171

I think, if I recall correctly, they were originally going to name her Moriah with Mory as a nickname, but they ended up putting just Mory on the birth certificate.

Erez
Usage: Male
Meaning: Cedar
Origin: Hebrew

Source: 1

9 Likes

Evietta - F - Modern Combo Name

2 Likes

@blueylit has preached to me the good word of unusual botanical names, and I have several to add to the database!

Celosia: “burnt”
Corydalis: “crested lark”
Lunaria: “moon”, aka honesty plants
Kaliphora: “bearing beauty”
Kumarika: Sanskrit for aloe vera
Maranta: after Bartolomeo Maranta
Martynia: after John Martyn
Meadowsweet
Moonflower
Rosehip
Solandra: after Daniel Carlsson Solander

Cedrus: cedar
Ilex: holly
Hemlock
Lanceleaf
Morus: mulberry
Pyrus: pear tree
Rhododendron “rose tree”

Chicory
Hollyhock
Loveliesbleeding
Nightshade
Peppermint
Periwinkle

13 Likes

Seconding @godshatteringstar on all those botanicals (I will convert everyone eventually!) and repeating again my sadness at Honeysuckle not being in the database despite my many years on these forums :broken_heart:

Other names that come to mind:

GIRLS
Myrrha (MERR-uh) - mother of [name_m]Adonis[/name_m] in Greek mythology
Nicnevin (NICK-neh-vin) - queen of unseelie fey in Scottish folklore, antithesis to [name_f]Mab[/name_f]
Fiadhnait (FEE-uh-not) - meaning “little fawn” in Irish
Nóinín (noh-NEEN) - meaning “daisy” in Irish
Réitlín (rayt-LEEN) - meaning “little star” in Irish

BOYS
Ferdia (FERR-dyuh) - meaning “priest” in Irish, as seen on actor Ferdia Peelo-Walsh
Petrushka (pet-ROOSH-kuh) - Russian diminutive of Petrov, best known for the eponymous ballet

11 Likes

Briallen: Welsh for “primrose” (Bryallen is the Cornish variant)
Fiola: Norwegian variant of Viola
Ivančica: (ee-van-CHI-ka) Croatian for “daisy”
Sayuri: Japanese for “little lily”
Symra: Norwegian for “primrose”

And for the boys:
Kristtorn: Norwegian for “holly”, literally “Christ thorn”

6 Likes

[name_f]Briallen[/name_f] is already in the database (great name). :blush:

1 Like

Evelien - primarily a [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] feminine name that is a variant of [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]. The name [name_f]Eveline[/name_f] sounds similiar but they are pronounced differently. Evelien = (eve-lee-en) vs [name_f]Eveline[/name_f] is (eve-lynn).

2 Likes

Prithvi (f)
Prithviraj (m)
Premila (I think a variant of Pramila) (f)
Pramila (f)
Pramiti (f)
Shashi is listed as a variant of Sasha, but Shashi (ex. Shashi Tharoor) and Shashikala are names in their own right.
Kavita (f). Not sure if this is a variant of Kavya.
Myriah (f)
Chandran (m) - Chandran Name Meaning & Chandran Family History at Ancestry.com.au®

Will add more as I find them.

3 Likes

I can second this person and say I have in fact heard in real life as well as fiction the names Lunaria & Solandra and feel they should be added to Nameberry

3 Likes

Please, please add this name! Erez is beautiful and I’m in support of @shells15 making the request

1 Like

i have serbian relatives named olivera (f) - “olive tree” and boban (b) - “god’s gift,” neither of which are in the database!

7 Likes

Evelien! It’s a [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] form of [name_f]Evelina[/name_f], pronounced Ava-leen.

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I just realized someone else already requested this one. Sorry!

1 Like

Ale is a super common nickname for [name_f]Alejandra[/name_f]! Ah-leh. Some berries have said they’ve known it to be used for boys nicknames as well.

3 Likes

i’ve also heard this as a nickname for Alessandra!

2 Likes