What names have we missed?

Caelia

from caelum (Latin) meaning “heaven”, pr. ky-lee-ah or kä-lee-ah.

5 Likes

Heidemarie

[name_m]German[/name_m]

[name_f]Heide[/name_f] (from Adelheid) + [name_u]Marie[/name_u]

“Heide” also means “heath” in [name_m]German[/name_m] so it is also a nature name.

6 Likes

Blevins boy name meaning [name_u]Wolf[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_m]Can[/name_m] we add

Maylea

Pr. my-LEH-a (German) or may-LEH-a, may-LEE-ah (English)

[name_f]May[/name_f] + [name_f]Lea[/name_f]

i second this! i also have a friend and her middle name is ming!

2 Likes

I’m obsessed with elf-names so let’s please add:

Elfrun

ELF-roon, a [name_m]German[/name_m] name. Means “elf” and “rune” (which means “secret lore”). There are some famous Elfruns in [name_u]Germany[/name_u] that you can find through google.

3 Likes

Winley surname

1 Like

Iobhar

Origin: Irish
Meaning: “yew tree”

4 Likes

Hermas - probably related to Greek ἕρμα, meaning a ballast, pile of stones or boundary marker.

I recently found out this was the middle name of my great grandfather. The name is referenced in the Bible in Romans 16:14, and was shared by one of the 70 Disciples. It’s also apparently the name of an early Christian literary work from the 2nd century, the Shepherd of Hermas.

9 Likes

Agnetha - A Scandinavian variant of [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] meaning holy or pure (Famously borne by Agnetha Fältskog, member of ABBA!!)

17 Likes

i’d love to see Sunrose put into the database! we’ve got [name_f]Searose[/name_f] so why not Sunrose! it’s a flower but could also be a mush oh sun & rose

oh and Dorion! it’s a spelling variation of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] but it’s also a french surname

5 Likes

Etheldred

Origin: Old English
Meaning: noble and strength (noble strength)

An Old English form of Aethelthryth, it was then anglicized as Etheldred(a) in English. In French, it was anglicized as Audrey, so the two are directly related. In Medieval times, it was shortened to Dreda.

Etheldreda

An Old English form of Aethelthryth, it was then anglicized as Etheldred(a) in English. In French, it was anglicized as Audrey, so the two are directly related. In Medieval times, it was shortened to Dreda. A famous bearer is Saint Etheldreda, commonly known as Saint Audrey.

Dreda

Short form of Etheldred and Etheldreda

Ashutosh

Origin: Hindu, Indian
Meaning: Someone who can be easily gratified, from Ashu (rapid/easy) and tosh (gratification)

It is one of the 1000 names of Mahadeva [I’m not quite sure if that is good or not] and it is written as आशुतोष in Marathi.

5 Likes

kazue - a japanese unisex name meaning “one blessing”
ahma - a japanese girls name meaning “black rain”
eiji - a japanese boys name meaning “prosperity, peace”

some of these meanings change based on what kanji is used, but these are some of the more common meanings.

6 Likes

Both Willadeene and Willadeen

Meaning unknown, see Willodeen. A notable bearer of the Willadeene spelling is Willadeene Parton, sister of Dolly Parton.

2 Likes

can we add Silivie? it means spirit of the woods, and i think it’s super cute and a good alternative to sylvie.

1 Like

Willowdean too! I think it’s in a book

1 Like

Maybe [name_m]Jax[/name_m] could become a unisex name entry as the up-and-coming TikTok singer [name_m]Jax[/name_m] is a popular namesake

2 Likes

I think it’d be cool if you added some Greek smoosh names!

For context, since Maria is such an overwhelmingly common name in Greece, a lot of “smoosh” names have been created by combining Maria with different middle names. While these names are not people’s legal names on paper, people go by them full-time so I do think they should be included on NB!

Some that I can think of and would like to see are Marialena (from Maria Eleni), Maristella (from Maria Stella or Maria Styliane), Maritina (from Maria Christina or Maria Konstantina, usually), Marianthe (typically Maria Chrysanthe, but could be any -anthe name), and Marilia (Maria Iliana, I believe).

I understand that these are very Greek names, but I think they’d also benefit the intended American audience of the website since people are always looking for exciting ways to honour great grandma Mary, for instance!

22 Likes

Could you add:

Biana

bee-AH-na. A character from my favorite book (Keeper of the Lost Cities).

3 Likes

Izzi

Variant of [name_u]Izzy[/name_u], diminutive of [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], and [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]!

6 Likes