What names have we missed?

[/quote]

Sorry, I think my comment got lost – I love these! Thanks for making this really great list.

See this thread for an explanation about ”tienne (it’s already in the database):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94

Thanks namefan! I was trying to add it to the list with the accent and it wasn’t letting me, just refreshing the page, instead, so that’s what was going on! Figures, I checked a few of the others and they weren’t, so I just assumed none of them were. I should check more thoroughly, Sorry!

And you’re welcome, [name]Pam[/name]. I’ll see what other odd things I have around that I can add. :slight_smile:

Not a missed name, but a missed alternate pronunciation:
You list both the names [name]Gianna[/name] and [name]Giovanna[/name] ([name]Gianna[/name] is originally a nickname of [name]Giovanna[/name]) and you list the pronunciation of [name]Giovanna[/name] as JOH… and [name]Gianna[/name] as [name]GEE[/name]… but if pronounced when speaking Italian they would both be JOH… The combo of the letters G & i in both names makes the J sound.
[name]Hope[/name] that makes sense, but for [name]Gianna[/name], I think 2 pronunciations are fitting: [name]Gee[/name]-ah-na and [name]Jon[/name]-na.

[name]Tenley[/name]! I know this is ridiculous, but [name]Tenley[/name] is the name of the main female character in the movie [name]Summer[/name] Catch (cheesy 90s movie with [name]Freddie[/name] [name]Prinze[/name] [name]Jr[/name]. and [name]Jessica[/name] Biel)… But I love it!

1 Like

[name]Sojourner[/name] as in [name]Sojourner[/name] [name]Truth[/name]. Maybe I’m not spelling it correctly.

1 Like

Great one. And now that I look it up, I see it has a very interesting history. Thank you.

Thanks, [name]Pam[/name], for adding [name]Sojourner[/name]!
[name]Susan[/name]

My pleasure. Thanks for suggesting it!

Salvestro, as in Salvestro Medici.

Lulach, an ancient Scottish name for a boy-adorable!
Fiacha, an ancient Irish name for a girl (I think, doesn’t sound like it’s for a boy.) Very pretty!
Fiachu-sex unknown, not as pretty as Fiacha in my opinion.
Laudomia, an Italian name for a girl.
Vindchi, an Italian name from the Medici family, don’t know whether it’s for a boy or girl.

1 Like

Roselaine. I’ve always loved Roselaine. :slight_smile:

You missed [name]Remy[/name] for a girl, you only have it for a boy.
You have the spelling [name]Remi[/name] for a girl, but I really love it spelled [name]Remy[/name].

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Almanzo (after whose name I have long lusted!) comes from [name]El[/name] Manzoor (or something), who was a Spaniard who helped the family who eventually became the Wilders. That’s all I know.

Please, more Japanese names! They’re pretty popular here in the [name]Pacific[/name] Northwest where I live and I’d love more of a pool to search from here, with commentary on how different Japanese names sound to American ears.

Here’s a couple of suggestions:

[name]Megumi[/name] - F, “beautiful blessing”
[name]Sakura[/name] - F, “cherry blossom”
Musashi - M, a legendary samurai
[name]Hikaru[/name]- F/M, “shining harbor”, among other meanings

I know it can be difficult to find a reliable source for Japanese names, but I’ll still be cheeky and ask you ladies to make the effort. :slight_smile:

Also, I’m not usually one to burst someone else’s baby-name bubble. I hate it when people tell me what name I can or cannot use.

That said, I’d caution against someone naming a child “Amaterasu” if they plan on meeting Japanese people or going to Japan. It’s not really done. I know, I know, I love the name too, I planned on it too, but I was assured it would be as out of place as an American naming their kid Jehovah.

Well, maybe not quite THAT bad, but still considered weird.

But, hey, if you really like it, then have fun. It’s your kid.

Me, I have lots of Japanese relatives, so I have to worry about how my Japanese name choices will play in Nagoya. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tyndale for a boy, after [name]William[/name] Tyndale.

I’m guessing [name]Wycliffe[/name] is already somewhere around here, probably thanks to [name]Wyclef[/name] [name]Jean[/name].

This isn’t from my culture but i have a few names. My friend found these names going through her kids year book. they’re: Yanenash, Kripa, Mission, Kriti, and Kush.

By the way the kids were triplets with all K’s.

1 Like

I have another one, the girl’s name Chauncee. Or spelled Chaunc”e.
It’s pronounced shawn-say.
It’s one of my good friends’ names, and her mother’s friend’s name.

Blueberry :slight_smile: I know it may sound a bit silly but I really like it as a middle name. You could also call her [name]Blue[/name] for short. Or [name]Berry[/name].