What names have we missed?

Um it’s still doing this

1 Like

Hmm, I would think all of them would change

1 Like

I love heledd! And I don’t know a single male celyn, and where I live, it’s like naming a boy holly.

1 Like

They don’t change once posted. [name_m]Just[/name_m] like names that have been suggested and subsequently added won’t retrospectively link.

3 Likes

Armison - patronymic [name_f]English[/name_f] surname meaning “son of [name_m]Armin[/name_m]” …reminds me of [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], etc…

1 Like

Firenze! It is the Italian name for [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Italy[/name_f]. It’s pronounced [name_u]Fee[/name_u]-den-zay, with a rolled R :))

1 Like

Gbenga/Benga. This is the name of one of my dad’s coworkers.

Don’t mind me, I just copied this off of a wikipedia article!
Gbenga is a first name or surname among the Yoruba speaking tribe of Nigeria. It means “lift up” or “lift higher”. It can also be translated to “Elevate”.

2 Likes

That kind of detail is so useful, thank you!

1 Like

The [name_f]Ashanti[/name_f] or [name_f]Asante[/name_f] empire, in what is now Ghana, had a system of naming based on what day of the week you were born on, these names are still used today.

Girls
•[name_f]Adwoa[/name_f] ([name_f]Monday[/name_f])
•[name_f]Abenaa[/name_f] ([name_f]Tuesday[/name_f])
•[name_f]Akua[/name_f] ([name_f]Wednesday[/name_f])
•Yaa ([name_m]Thursday[/name_m])
•[name_f]Afua[/name_f] ([name_m]Friday[/name_m])
•Ám̀ma ([name_m]Saturday[/name_m])
•[name_f]Akosua[/name_f] ([name_f]Sunday[/name_f])

Boys
•[name_m]Kwadwo[/name_m] ([name_f]Monday[/name_f])
•[name_m]Kwabena[/name_m] ([name_f]Tuesday[/name_f])
•[name_m]Kwaku[/name_m] ([name_f]Wednesday[/name_f])
•[name_m]Yaw[/name_m] ([name_m]Thursday[/name_m])
•[name_m]Kofi[/name_m] ([name_m]Friday[/name_m])
•[name_m]Kwame[/name_m] ([name_m]Saturday[/name_m])
•Akwasi ([name_f]Sunday[/name_f])

I think some of these are in the database already, but definitely not all of them.

Actually, most of them are in the database, not Yaa or Akwasi though

5 Likes

The meaning for [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] (girl) is “olive tree”, “olive tree.” I’ve tried to insert a screenshot but my computer isn’t allowing it!

1 Like

Thanks, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. Fixed. Another name that was originally included in the database as the short form of two other names both with the same meaning, but never got an entry of its own, which it deserves!! Thanks.

1 Like

“Emelle” and “Emel”

Girls name. Pronounced [name_f]Em[/name_f]-el. From the Turkish word “Emel” origins meaning “hope, aspiration, desire”

2 Likes

I know a female [name_m]Oren[/name_m], but it says it’s only male. What is the minimum number of births per gender to make it unisex?

2 Likes

I’ve met a few males with the name [name_f]Evangel[/name_f], but it is only listed as female. Wondering if that name can be listed as a boy name as well.

2 Likes

Constantia’s origin page says “[name_f]English[/name_f] variation of [name_f]Constantia[/name_f].”

3 Likes

Could [name_f]Aquarius[/name_f] possibly get a boy page as well? It’s only listed as a girl name right now.

4 Likes

Would love to see “Meridia” on Nameberry, as in the Daedric [name_m]Prince[/name_m] of Life and [name_f]Lady[/name_f] of Infinite Energies from the [name_m]Elder[/name_m] Scrolls series. I love the name so much, and that she is “the lady of infinite energies.”

Also “Evaria” as a modern invented name!

3 Likes

[name_f]Kona[/name_f] is a boy’s name as well as a girl’s name.

For a boy, it is another name for [name_m]Don[/name_m] in [name_f]English[/name_f] and Scottish, as well as the Hawaiian translation for [name_m]Don[/name_m] (and [name_f]Donna[/name_f] for a girl).

Also, while doing research on the name, I have found there are other meanings for it. In Celtic-Gaelic it means world rule. In Hawaiian, it also means leeward (or dry side) as well as the background info according to Kona Coffee.

According to Kona Coffee, the background info includes:
The name [name_f]Kona[/name_f] is used as a baby name for both girls and boys in [name_m]Hawaii[/name_m]. One of the translations of the word signifies “lady”. This makes it a beautiful name for a baby girl. Moreover, the name also means “origin, popularity, and the world rule”. This translation makes it an attractive name for baby boys, too. Ordinarily, [name_f]Kona[/name_f] seems to be a popular name for Hawaiian children.

4 Likes

Nurie is the name of fundie lolcow [name_f]Jill[/name_f] [name_m]Rodrigues[/name_m]’s eldest daughter. It might be based on the Aramaic for “my fire”.

1 Like

One of the [name_u]Keller[/name_u] grandkids via [name_f]Esther[/name_f] is named Alatheia, which is probably a variant of [name_f]Alethea[/name_f], meaning “truth”.

1 Like