• Lenka
    Origin: Slavic
    Meaning: Light

• Winneka
    Origin: unknown
    Meaning: Christmas Orchid
    Note: spelling variation of Wïnïkä as seen on SJ Strum’s channel on YouTube

2 Likes

There’s not necessarily a specific number, but it does usually need some sustained real-life usage or a significant reference in literature, pop culture, history, mythology, etc.

1 Like

Okay! [name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering :grin:

1 Like

This doesn’t really fit on this topic, but I was wondering why [name_u]Olivia[/name_u] is gender neutral.

Ka’iulani / Kaiulani Kaʻiulani - Wikipedia

1 Like

Hesione!
Female, Greek. A princess of [name_m]Troy[/name_m].
Greek pronunciation: ee-see-OH-nee
[name_f]English[/name_f]: ?

6 Likes

Some names I think could work that aren’t in the database.

Australia- If we have [name_f]Austria[/name_f] and [name_f]Antarctica[/name_f], then why not Australia?

Fridley- actually a city in Minnesota, but seems like a cool cross between [name_u]Finley[/name_u] and [name_u]Ridley[/name_u] (pronounced like [name_u]Ridley[/name_u] but with a f in front)

Euro- like European or like the currency. It has a cool O ending sound like [name_u]Milo[/name_u] and [name_u]Harlow[/name_u]

Billow- technically a word name, but also feels like a cool smash between [name_u]Billie[/name_u] and [name_u]Willow[/name_u].

Dynamo- a cool word name that has a trendy o ending.

Caribou- a cool, christmassy animal name. Also the name of a coffee chain. [name_f]Cari[/name_f], [name_f]Cara[/name_f], or [name_u]Boo[/name_u] could be fun nicknames.

Gecko- a cool animal name, and also one of the main characters in PJ Masks (technically his name is [name_m]Greg[/name_m])

Trailblazer- this could be a cool middle name. NN [name_u]Blaze[/name_u] is also super fun. Plus the -er ending fits right in with the trends.

Kairos- similar to [name_u]Cairo[/name_u], but it’s a noun meaning “the perfect time”. Seems like also a cool way to get the nickname [name_u]Kai[/name_u].

Fika- Swedish word meaning “slowing down and enjoying the good things in life.” Pronounced like FEE-ka.

Komorebi- a Japanese name meaning “sunlight that filters through the leaves of trees.” It is also the name of a new world in the [name_m]Sims[/name_m] 4.

4 Likes

Karrueche - I don’t know the origin, but there is a famous model and actress named Karrueche Tran. Pronounced kuh-ROO-chee. It could be an invented name.

2 Likes

Amika / Ammika - Amika means “friendly” in Esperanto, and can have different meanings in Japanese (depending on the kanji). It may also have an [name_f]Indian[/name_f] origin but I don’t know the meaning. Famous bearers: activist Amika [name_u]George[/name_u], model Ammika [name_m]Harris[/name_m].

2 Likes

Bilqis - The name of the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of [name_f]Sheba[/name_f] in Islamic tradition. It can be spelled in various ways. The form Belkis is used in Latin [name_u]America[/name_u].
Belcalis - The real name of rapper [name_f]Cardi[/name_f] B. Most likely an invented name. Possibly inspired by Belkis (note that [name_f]Cardi[/name_f] has a tattoo of “Belkis” on her wrist, so she may have a female relative named Belkis who she was named after).
Marlenis - [name_f]Cardi[/name_f]'s middle name. Likely an elaboration of [name_f]Marlene[/name_f].

3 Likes

Ajalon. name meaning either “place of deer, strength, a chain.” Actually a biblical place name, where the tribe of [name_m]Dan[/name_m] was assigned to, as well as a city in the tribe of [name_m]Zebulun[/name_m].

I actually know an Ajalon who is a girl, so I would think it is a girl name but I suppose it could also be unisex.

Pronounced like AHH-zhja-lon. On here the user from [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] pronounces it this way. This is how the Ajalon I know pronounces it.

2 Likes

Seychelle - From the name of the country, the Seychelles (note that in [name_u]French[/name_u] the final S is silent). The name of actress Seychelle [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u].

2 Likes

Aylen- a girls name that means joy, happiness, or clear. It is pronounced like eye-LEN. It is of Native American Mapuche origin

4 Likes

the name Ilhan meaning “precious, nice, to have a beautiful voice.” Minnesota representative Ilhan Omar is a notable figure with this Arabic name. I think it is a unisex name.

Kailei – Hawaiian meaning “sea & flowers”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would like to suggest the name Eske. It is a Frisian name. It’s unisex in [name_u]Germany[/name_u], male in Denmark and female in the Netherlands. It comes from Æsir (the Norse gods). Famous people include [name_m]German[/name_m] writer Eske Bockelmann, [name_m]German[/name_m] businesswoman Eske Nannen and Eske Willerslev a Danish geneticist

7 Likes

I noticed that Caillou is not registered here… from what I can find it is [name_u]French[/name_u] for pebble which I think is utterly adorable for a little boy. It also the name of a Canadian educational children’s television series as well as the name of the titular character.

4 Likes

Could the names Arimathea, Lalibela, Kohana and Phlox be added? Arimathea and Lalibela are both place names. Kohana means little flower and is Japanese. Phlox is a flower name.

4 Likes