What names have we missed?

Oh yeah, I noticed [name_f]Lenya[/name_f] only showed up as a girls name too.

On the flip side, I only see [name_m]Vanya[/name_m] listed as a boys name but since Umbrella Academy came out, I’m anticipating we may see more girls named [name_m]Vanya[/name_m]

2 Likes

I’m going to throw a few in here now.

UNISEX

• Ardy - (Latin) great forest; I’d use it more for a nickname or middle name, but it has been listed as a boy or girl name primarily used for boys
  • Coast - (nature name) where land meets the ocean
  • Jaladhi - (Sanskrit; Indian; Hindu) of the ocean; sea
  • Rosewood - (nature name) type of tree
  • Seafarer - (English) explorer of the sea
  • Teak - (nature name; Korean) type of tree that is strong and durable (often used when water will be a factor); I’d use this more as a nickname or middle name than a first name
  • Yousuke - (Japanese) meditate like the ocean; more often used for boys, it is listed as a girl or boy name on Japanese baby name websites

GIRLS

• Aase - (Norse) tree covered mountain
  • Alaula - (Hawaiian) light of early dawn; sunset glow; light of dawn
  • Dysis - (Greek) sunset; name of one of the 12 Horae
  • Mazu - (Chinese) goddess of the sea
  • Saila - (Arabic) sun; variation of [name_m]Samson[/name_m]
  • Maristella - (Italian or Spanish) star of the sea; variation of [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Maris[/name_f] & [name_f]Maristela[/name_f]
  • [name_m]Zale[/name_m] - (Greek) strength of the sea; bold; also a girls’ name though less commonly so

BOYS

• Aukai - (Hawaiian) explorer of the sea; seafarer
  • Bahari - (Swahili) ocean
  • Inapo - (Chamoru) of the waves
  • Jaladri - (Sudanese) ocean
  • Mycroft - (English) by the stream, small field
  • Nadish - of the sea; ocean
  • Nahele - forest; grove of trees
  • [name_f]Nami[/name_f] - I have found this listed as a male name as well as a female name
  • Oake - (nature name) type of tree; variation of [name_u]Oak[/name_u]
  • Rinji - (Japanese) of the peaceful forest
  • Rufio - (Spanish; Latin) red haired; form of [name_m]Rufus[/name_m]; variation of [name_m]Rupheo[/name_m]
  • Seabert - (English) shining sea
  • Seabrook - (English; Old English) from the brook by the sea; stream near the sea
  • Sewall - (English) powerful sea; sea wall; spelling variation of [name_m]Sewell[/name_m]
  • Tahi - (Polynesian) one who lives by the sea
  • Taranga - (Indian, Hindu) wave; of the waves
4 Likes

Negan - The only place I’ve heard it is The Walking Dead, but I guess it’s still a name lol - Source

Didn’t request it, but wanted to say I was sooo excited to see [name_u]Léo[/name_u] was added, thanks to whoever did that!:blush:

Thanks for adding [name_m]Saxo[/name_m]! I want to suggest adding Rubeus :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes! Rubeus! That’s the name of my dog!

1 Like

Oh, how cute!

1 Like

My oldest son came up with the name CYPHER many years ago. (“Cipher” is the Am. spelling.) He loved it so much that he wouldn’t use it for any of his video game characters, pets, etc. He was saving it for something “really special”. In [name_u]October[/name_u] this 35-year-old man became a father for the first time and got to name his son Cypher [name_u]Lennox[/name_u]. (The mom is going with [name_u]Lennox[/name_u] Cypher, but that is awkward.) In some circles the name means “zero” or “of no worth,” it can also be a verb meaning to do arithmetic or to put text into code. We have renamed our 8 acres of forest Cypher [name_m]Woods[/name_m], where there will be mysterious paths and hidden surprises. :smiley:

Congratulations on your new grandson! :confetti_ball: Cypher is a cool name; it’s actually given to a dozen or so boys per year in the US so it definitely a good candidate for addition to our database.

Could you add Anjalina? (it’s a mix of [name_f]Angelina[/name_f] and [name_f]Anya[/name_f], with the J being pronounced the Scandinavian way, so like Anyalina, only not.)

1 Like

Giorgi as a boy name! It’s the Georgian variant of [name_u]George[/name_u].

1 Like

Hyacintha - feminine form of hyacinthus (Latin), as far as I know. Very pretty and elegant!

Rosantha - a lovely floral name that comes from the Latin name for “heather.”

Calluna - an intriguing choice that is the Latin name for another variety of heather.

2 Likes

@FuzzBall Speaking of floral names, could the name Periwinkle be added to the data base? It’s a flower and color name :grin:

1 Like