What names have we missed?

They really should add it. It seems like is has 3 votes now.

1 Like

i think a male entry should be added for Fern. not only are most nature / word names unisex, but Fern has usage as a male name; in 1903, it was rank 710 for boys

21 Likes

make that four! Oaken is a legit name.

3 Likes

Is Weather a name? Idk, but if it isn’t, it needs to be one. It’s really cool

1 Like

[name_f]Lauren[/name_f] has ranked for males multiple times before

It kind of bothers me that the system works so perfectly about masculine names on females but not the other way round.

15 Likes

More obscure botanicals! bolded names are new as of this edit

Amabilis: “lovely”
Cassinia: after Alexandre de Cassini
Dalea: after English botanist Samuel Dale (pronounced /deɪ’liə/, like how I believed Delia was pronounced when I first read it)
Dionaea: aka Venus flytrap, after an epithet of Aphrodite
Dracaena: “dragon”
Elisena: after Elisa Bonaparte (sister to Napoleon); also a character in the medieval Iberian tale Amadís de Gaula
Gloriosa: “glorious
Hedera: Latin for the ivy plant
Kaliphora: “beauty-bearing”
Lutea: “yellow”
Moonflower
Morinda: “Indian mulberry”
Nandina: from the Japanese name nanten
Nemophila: “grove-loving”, aka baby blue eyes
Olyra: grass named after an ancient grain similar to spelt
Pellaea: “dark”
Peppermint
Philisia: “to love”
Polyantha: “many flowers”
Roella: after Dutch anatomist G. Roelle
Solandra: after Swedish explorer Daniel Carlsson Solander
Sophora: from the Arabic name for a pea-flowered tree sophera
Tamarix: after the Tamaris (now known as Tambre) river in Galicia, where some species grow
Tilia: the classical name for the linden tree
Ursinia: after Johann Heinrich Ursinus

Arum: from the Greek aron possibly meaning “cane, reed”
Cedrus: from the Latin for the cedar tree, said to be derived from the name of the river Kedron in Judea
Dryas: “oak”, for the leaves resemble oak leaves
Ferox: “fierce”
Foxtail
Hemlock
Ilex: the holly genus
Leonotis: “lion’s ear”, as the shape was compared to
Phlox: “flame”
Pyrus: the classical name for pear trees
Rubus: “red”, like the berries of many species

Corydalis: “crested lark”
Raspberry
Xyris: “razor”

6 Likes

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
Solandra
[name_f]Adeluna[/name_f]
Oaken
[name_f]Abcde[/name_f]

3 Likes

Amora: female portuguese name that means berry. It’s also a variation of amor (love, in some romance languages - portuguese and spanish). The most famous person is a brazilian scriptwriter Amora Mautner.

Draguta: is a very old school feminine romanian name. Which means precious. Draga is a common variation of the name.

Cornel: is a name derived form Cornelius, also a surname. The surname is common in welsh countries while the name is used in Romania.

Argante: is the name of a female character in arthurian legends. Often shared the role of the lady of the lake depending of the version. The name means “silver”.

Elyon: name of a princess of a comic book, Witch. The name comes from the bible, one of the names of god. The name is probably unisex.

Treveri: A rare unisex name and surname. It means flowing river. It’s the name of an ancient community in Gallia, that originated the surname. info on wikipedia

Trevere is a variation of the name (I know an english man with this given name even tough I suppose it’s unisex given the origin)

Saleh: arab masculine given name meaning pious or virtuous. A variation of Salih.

Nitara female given name meaning “deeply rooted”

5 Likes

I noticed you missed Fond. It’s a boy’s virtue name

Anfisa (Ann-fee-suh)

Meaning: Flowering
Origin: Russian

2 Likes

Liadh - Irish

pronounced the same as Leah, from the word ‘liath’, which means ‘grey’ in both Irish and Scottish Gaelic.

can be treated as an Irish variation of Leah or a derivative of Liadan.

7 Likes

Frith (u) archaic word for peace

Tuhina - Means white/snow/snowflake

1 Like

Zosime!

Zosime is the feminised form of the Ancient Greek name ‘Zosimus’ meaning “viable” or “likely to survive”. It is a real name that is actually in usage today! Here are some sources:

BTN pages

Meaning, origin and history of the name Zosime - Behind the Name
Meaning, origin and history of the name Zosimus - Behind the Name

A quick search for 'Zosime' on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/search/people/?q=Zosime&sde=AbqlzIMZvJOv8dseN-6DUg_LZkFp8aVYRIKoYVJS8Qh3ZWjcMWTMl3Qj5EXhFxA10yfbmWPhopVpnK1PUmjOqv52

Youtube video (unsure if accurate)

How to Pronounce Zosime - PronounceNames.com - YouTube

12 Likes

Check out some of the latest additions in today’s blog!

(We will keep reviewing and adding when we can, so if your suggestion still hasn’t made it, don’t be too despondent!)

Which are you most excited to see?

17 Likes

I’m especially happy to see [name_f]Sunflower[/name_f], [name_f]Perenelle[/name_f], [name_f]Evaluna[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalva[/name_f], [name_f]Lunaria[/name_f], and [name_m]Eustacio[/name_m]!

7 Likes

Yay, thank you!

1 Like

Ubbe (Old Norse) "wolf"
Ubbe (or Ubba) Ragnarsson was a 9th century [name_m]Danish[/name_m] Viking leader. Together with [name_m]Halfdan[/name_m] Ragnarsson and [name_m]Ivar[/name_m] The Boneless he lead the famous Great Heathen [name_m]Army[/name_m] who invaded [name_f]England[/name_f] in 865 A.D.

Frigg (Old Norse) "love"
Frigg is a goddess of Norse/Germanic mythology. She is associated with marriage, prophecy, clairvoyance and motherhood. Frigg is the wife of [name_m]Odin[/name_m]. There is a lot of debate about wether Frigg and [name_f]Freja[/name_f] are the same goddess. This is what the [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] wikipedia says (I translated it):

Wiki on Frigg and [name_f]Freja[/name_f]

“Frigg is the highest goddess of the Æsir, where [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is the highest goddess of the Vanir. There have been many arguments for and against the idea that Frigg and [name_f]Freya[/name_f] are in fact the same goddess, avatars of each other. Some rely on linguistic analyses, others on the fact that [name_f]Freya[/name_f] was not known in the south, but rather in the far north. In some places they were also regarded as the same goddess, in others as different.”

Atla (Old Norse) - water goddess, the combative
According to Norse mythology, Atla was one of the “nine daughters of Aegir”. Together, the nine sisters represented the waves.

Lindir (Tolkien name, Quanya) - song man, singer
Lindir was an [name_f]Elf[/name_f] in [name_m]Lord[/name_m] Of The Rings. The name Lindir seems to be composed of lind (“tune”) + dîr (“man”), therefore meaning “Song Man”.

Nimrodel (Tolkien name, Quenya) - lady of the White Grotto
Nimrodel was an Elf-maid from LOTR. She travelled into the southern lands of Middle [name_f]Earth[/name_f] and became lost in the White Mountains.

Fíriel (Tolkien name, Quenya) - mortal woman
Fíriel was the third child and daughter of [name_m]King[/name_m] Ondoher of Gondor.

Feyre (unknown origin) - beautiful, fairy or elf

9 Likes

Aveda :two_hearts: Pronounced uh-vay-duh

3 Likes

The database lists Enea as a male name, while it is also a female name with a different origin: the Basque for “mine”.