What names in the top 100 arent dated?

Please look at the list and tell me what girl names arent dated…Im confused they are being widely used, yet I always read comments about this and that being dated. Is a name dated if its still widely used? So what ones do you think are NOT dated???

Im going to link the lists the actual social security list 2009.

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi

Here are the ones that I feel are definitely very dated, or will be dated very soon. It’s just my opinion though.
Your question about what makes names dated if they’re still widely used-

I think it’s a matter of oversaturation. There are names that are so widely used that people are becoming sick of them. They might have sounded fresh a few years ago when their trend was just beginning, but now the trend is ending. Names that are relatively new names are more susceptible to becoming dated.

It’s like fashion- first, a few people start a trend. Then some other people pick up on the trend. The trend becomes more and more widespread over time, until finally, it ends up on the racks at Walmart. When it gets to Walmart, the trend is no longer daring or cutting edge, but it is much more popular than when it was new. [name]Even[/name] though the trend is most popular and accessible when it gets to Walmart, it’s only a short matter of time before it goes out of style.

If you love a name, then it might not matter if it seems dated to other people.

*PS I like Walmart

4 17,912 [name]Madison[/name] 15,097 [name]Maddison[/name] 1,155 [name]Madisyn[/name] 887 [name]Madyson[/name] 773
10 13,962 [name]Hailey[/name] 7,262 [name]Haley[/name] 2,584 [name]Haylee[/name] 1,501 [name]Hayley[/name] 751 [name]Hailee[/name] 587 [name]Haleigh[/name] 510 [name]Haylie[/name] 451 [name]Hayleigh[/name] 316
12 13,237 [name]Kaylee[/name] 7,163 [name]Kayleigh[/name] 1,433 [name]Caylee[/name] 1,235 [name]Kailey[/name] 990 [name]Kaylie[/name] 923 [name]Kaleigh[/name] 470 [name]Kailee[/name] 451 [name]Caleigh[/name] 287 [name]Kayley[/name] 285
13 13,149 [name]Addison[/name] 10,567 [name]Addyson[/name] 1,439 [name]Addisyn[/name] 728 [name]Adyson[/name] 415
14 12,191 [name]Kaitlyn[/name] 4,164 [name]Kaitlin[/name] 522 [name]Kaitlynn[/name] 467
19 11,383 [name]Brianna[/name] 7,281 [name]Briana[/name] 2,059 [name]Breanna[/name] 1,553 [name]Bryanna[/name] 490
20 10,897 [name]Allison[/name] 6,542 [name]Alison[/name] 1,435 [name]Allyson[/name] 1,307 [name]Alyson[/name] 636 [name]Alisson[/name] 492 [name]Allisson[/name] 485
21 10,728 [name]Rylee[/name] 2,800 [name]Riley[/name] 5,592 [name]Ryleigh[/name] 1,372 [name]Rylie[/name] 964
23 10,142 [name]Alexis[/name] 9,839 [name]Alexus[/name] 303
25 9,623 [name]Peyton[/name] 5,270 [name]Payton[/name] 3,623 [name]Paityn[/name] 423 [name]Payten[/name] 307
27 9,551 [name]Samantha[/name] 9,551
30 9,331 [name]Jasmine[/name] 4,820 [name]Jazmin[/name] 1,527 [name]Jasmin[/name] 1,152 [name]Jazmine[/name] 1,440 [name]Jazmyn[/name] 392
31 9,327 [name]Alyssa[/name] 7,900 [name]Alissa[/name] 680 [name]Alisa[/name] 281 [name]Elisa[/name] 466
32 8,887 [name]Makayla[/name] 5,197 [name]Mikayla[/name] 1,810 [name]Michaela[/name] 860 [name]Mikaela[/name] 589 [name]Mckayla[/name] 431
33 8,769 [name]Ashley[/name] 7,741 [name]Ashlee[/name] 476 [name]Ashly[/name] 276 [name]Ashleigh[/name] 276
37 8,433 [name]Kylie[/name] 4,339 [name]Kylee[/name] 2,162 [name]Kyleigh[/name] 1,047 [name]Kiley[/name] 885
41 7,808 [name]Mackenzie[/name] 3,874 [name]Mckenzie[/name] 2,044 [name]Makenzie[/name] 1,890
43 7,682 [name]Aaliyah[/name] 4,326 [name]Aliyah[/name] 1,972 [name]Aleah[/name] 575 [name]Aliya[/name] 447 [name]Alia[/name] 362
44 7,566 [name]Brooklyn[/name] 5,610 [name]Brooklynn[/name] 1,956
45 7,517 [name]Taylor[/name] 7,517
51 6,405 [name]Kayla[/name] 5,767 [name]Keyla[/name] 357 [name]Cayla[/name] 281
52 6,296 [name]Nevaeh[/name] 6,020 [name]Neveah[/name] 276
56 5,837 [name]Sydney[/name] 5,007 [name]Sidney[/name] 565 [name]Sydnee[/name] 265
57 5,805 [name]Lauren[/name] 5,146 [name]Lauryn[/name] 659
59 5,315 [name]Destiny[/name] 4,541 [name]Destinee[/name] 472 [name]Destiney[/name] 302
61 5,271 [name]Alexa[/name] 5,271
66 5,002 [name]Bailey[/name] 3,614 [name]Baylee[/name] 851 [name]Bailee[/name] 537
69 4,931 [name]Jordyn[/name] 2,556 [name]Jordan[/name] 2,071 [name]Jordin[/name] 304
71 4,799 [name]Jada[/name] 2,843 [name]Jayda[/name] 1,381 [name]Jaida[/name] 575
73 4,640 [name]Kaelyn[/name] 988 [name]Kaylin[/name] 859 [name]Kailyn[/name] 699 [name]Kaylynn[/name] 588 [name]Kaylen[/name] 421 [name]Kaylyn[/name] 409 [name]Cailyn[/name] 400 [name]Kaelynn[/name] 276
75 4,533 [name]Keira[/name] 2,241 [name]Kyra[/name] 1,191 [name]Kira[/name] 1,101
76 4,490 [name]Bella[/name] 4,490 * will be dated soon
83 4,198 [name]Melanie[/name] 3,458 [name]Melany[/name] 740
84 4,189 [name]Kimberly[/name] 4,189
89 4,009 [name]Andrea[/name] 4,009
90 3,975 [name]Trinity[/name] 3,975
91 3,973 [name]Jayden[/name] 1,738 [name]Jadyn[/name] 683 [name]Jaden[/name] 554 [name]Jaiden[/name] 538 [name]Jaidyn[/name] 460
93 3,796 [name]Cadence[/name] 1,443 [name]Kaydence[/name] 1,278 [name]Kadence[/name] 778 [name]Caydence[/name] 297
94 3,764 [name]Reagan[/name] 2,514 [name]Raegan[/name] 853 [name]Regan[/name] 397
95 3,748 [name]Jessica[/name] 3,748
99 3,640 [name]Genesis[/name] 3,640
99 3,640 [name]Megan[/name] 3,029 [name]Meghan[/name] 611[/quote]

What I feel are not dated:
[name]Eva[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Arianna[/name], [name]Camila[/name], [name]Maria[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Madeline[/name], [name]Maya[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Jasmine[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Zoe[/name], [name]Savannah[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Natalie[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Isabella[/name]

I left out variations on the same name like [name]Gabrielle[/name] ([name]Gabriella[/name]) [name]Isabella[/name] ([name]Bella[/name]) and so on.

Yep, I totally agree with [name]Amanda[/name]'s analogy about fashion.

[name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Samantha[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Maria[/name], [name]Camila[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Paige[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name]

Those are the only ones in the top 100 that don’t seem dated (or soon to be dated) to me. It’s weird though, because I’m 25 and I feel like a lot of those names were super popular for my generation, and most of them I’ve never seen on a child. I’m actually kind of surprised that most of the names in the top 100 are in the top 100… I dunno, weird.

Oh, obviously there are a lot of others that are great, classic names. [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Emily[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], etc. But to me those are all definitely dated. Doesn’t mean they’re not great names or anything like that, but, they have a time stamp on them.

I consider a name dated if you hear it and know what decade a baby was born in. For instance the name [name]Brandi[/name]? Probably born in the 80s. The name [name]Linda[/name]? Probably born in the 40s or 50s. One helpful tool to figure out a name’s “peak” is the [name]Baby[/name] Name Voyager: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

Names that are not dated, in my opinion, are classics like [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]David[/name]. If all you know about a person is that he or she has the name [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]David[/name], you would have no idea how old they are.

Girls names tend to cycle more quickly than boys names. Names for girls from the 2009 list that strike me as classic are: [name]Emily[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name]. For boys: [name]Michael[/name], [name]David[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Joseph[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]John[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Jonathan[/name], and [name]Thomas[/name]. I haven’t done the voyager test, but I do know that I would have no idea how old a person with any of those names is.

[/quote]

[name]Amanda[/name], you described the phenomenon so perfectly! I have tried to get this across on several threads, but this is exactly what I wanted to say.
As for you name analyses, I agree with almost all of them, but I would argue that [name]Allison[/name] is probably a new classic so it will not become too date stamped, and [name]Samantha[/name] as well, although I’m sure both will fall somewhat.

In reply to amandalk:

Thank your analogy. The only two that I disagree are dated are [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Alexa[/name]. [name]Addison[/name] [name]JUST[/name] recently became popular (last couple years…which doesnt warrent it being dated ALREADY or even in the near future…in 15 to 20 years yes, but already…no. [name]Alexa[/name], I feel has staying power…its the shorter version of traditional classic [name]Alexandra[/name] and I think it also wont be dated for another 10-15 years. [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s cool baby names book published 2008, listed [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Alexa[/name] as being on the top cool list…I really feel that they wouldnt have put these names so high on that list if they considered them dated or to be dated in the near future.

Edited to say: their are a few more on your list that I disagree with because they havent been in circulation long enough to warrant already being dated…[name]Brooklyn[/name], [name]Keira[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Cadence[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Neveah[/name], [name]Payton[/name], [name]Riley[/name], and I few others that Im on the fence about so I wont list them. Also, I agree with Phoebesmom that [name]Allison[/name] and [name]Samantha[/name] are new classics therefore not dated.

[name]Addison[/name] is probably not exactly dated, I agree. But is undeniably “of the moment” and therefore certainly date-stamped. It blew up too quickly for it’s own good. [name]Alexa[/name],I think is fairly dated. I tie it in with the ubiquitous Alexises/[name]Lexis[/name]/[name]Alexias[/name] that were so popular in the '90s. A style-conscious modern parent choosing [name]Alexandra[/name] would probably stick with the full name or go with unisex [name]Alex[/name] or even [name]Sasha[/name].

Well it depends on what we mean by dated: unfashionable or temporal? Originally I thought we were talking about names being dated if they’re unfashionable, but some of you seem to be using dated meaning it has a certain time stamp on the name, and these are certainly not the same thing.

[name]Isabella[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], and [name]Ava[/name] are very fashionable still, but yes they will have 2010’s associated with them in a few years, just like how [name]Brittany[/name], [name]Tiffany[/name], [name]Lindsay[/name], and [name]Stephanie[/name] all scream 1990, but were very fashionable at the time.

I agree with triceratops, when I started the thread, I wasnt asking about what names [name]WILL[/name] be date stamped…I wanted to know what names are no longer fashionable because they are considered dated right now (names which are or will be falling out of the top 100 in the near future)…people reading this thread are probably thinking OMG not all these names are DATED, they may eventually be, but they arent dated right now!!! :shock: .

Also, In my question for this thread I specified for people to only list names in the format of what is NOT dated…meaning leave out the dated names and list the names which are NOT dated. Yet I see lists of names that are dated…Not everyone answered in the right format and I thought I was pretty clear in my topic question and first post…Now the lists are pretty confusing for readers to follow…mainly because the concept of dated and time stamped has gotten mixed together as well as the whole format thing. Sorry to everyone, this was probably too complicated of a topic to ask.
:?

Thank you for everyone who did take the time to answer the question, I know you misunderstood, no big deal…just hoping that readers dont get confused.

[name]Plato[/name],

To me, dated means that you look at a name and it sounds like it was from a past generation. Usually, I think we are using the term dated to refer specifically to names used most prominently in the previous generation, the one that is having children today - that will be names popular anywhere from 1980 to 1990, I’d say, though sometimes names become dated after about a decade of use, so names popular in the 2000s. For 1980 names, you might say [name]Stephanie[/name] is dated, for 1990, something like [name]Lauren[/name] (my name!) might fit the bill, and for 2000, something like [name]Mackenzie[/name] would probably be in that dated category, even though it is still on the Top 100 list in 2009. [name]Just[/name] because a name is “dated” by naming style standards doesn’t mean it doesn’t get used, right? That much seems obvious. I think we could also say names used further back would be dated today, and that is usually in reference to mid-century names like [name]Donna[/name] or [name]Barbara[/name], popular in the 1950s and 1960s.

So, what isn’t dated today? Well, the safest bets are probably the tried-and-true classics, popular year after year, but consistently present on naming trend charts. Names like [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Emily[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Madeline[/name], [name]Maria[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], and [name]Victoria[/name] all fit that category for me. Yes, lots of girls in 1990 to 200 were named [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Emily[/name], and [name]Sarah[/name], but those are still classics. And, today there are many [name]Sophia[/name]'s, [name]Emma[/name]'s, and [name]Isabella[/name]'s, but the names are still classic and timeless.

Other names like [name]Ava[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name], [name]Savannah[/name], [name]Peyton[/name], [name]Layla[/name], [name]Arianna[/name], [name]Brooke[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Valeria[/name], [name]Andrea[/name], [name]Gianna[/name], [name]Camila[/name], [name]Ariana[/name], [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], and [name]Eva[/name] are on the Top 100 chart today, don’t sound dated today, but, to me, have more potential to sound dated in the future. However, we have some Biblical classics ([name]Hannah[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Rachel[/name]) and some romantic, feminine names ([name]Gabriella[/name], [name]Valeria[/name], [name]Gianna[/name], [name]Camila[/name]) that stand less of a chance to become dated, in my mind.

Finally, I pulled out [name]Samantha[/name], [name]Natalie[/name], [name]Melanie[/name], and [name]Paige[/name], all names popular in my generation (1990) but still popular today. I don’t think these particular names sound dated in the way a [name]Lauren[/name], [name]Megan[/name], or [name]Jennifer[/name] might nowadays, and they stand a bit more of a chance of heading toward new-age classic standings. I don’t think they’ll ever be really classic names, but they are in that happy ground of new and old.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Don[/name]'t think I could add much that hasn’t already been said (other than I think there is a strong regional influence) so I’ll just give you my quicklist (made without too much analysis as it is 2am where I am, and I think that part of my brain shut down about an hour ago!)

[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Maria[/name]
[name]Valeria[/name]