What origin would you think the name Mina is upon hearing it?

Pronounced MEE-NA

1 Like

I know a [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and think it suits her very well. I love it!

It also makes me think of the character in [name_m]Bram[/name_m] Stoker’s Dracula.

Edit: Ah, I noticed you changed the question slightly. It seems quite international to me but because I’ve gotten to know Mina as a nickname for Wilhelmina my first thought would be German. But I believe it is used in loads of cultures and languages as a stand alone name so that gives it an international vibe to me.

3 Likes

Tamilian if I heard it or if it was spelled [name_f]Meena[/name_f]. [name_f]Mina[/name_f], idk.

The first and only [name_f]Mina[/name_f] I encountered was Greek, but I don’t necessarily think of it as a Greek name. It’s rather generic in the sense that it sounds like it could be from just about everywhere.

It sounds Greek.

Almost Slavic…I think of [name_f]Milena[/name_f].

It’s a universal name but I know a baby named [name_f]Mina[/name_f] whose Korean, and multiple characters in anime named [name_f]Mina[/name_f], I also know a [name_f]Milana[/name_f] whose nn is [name_f]Mina[/name_f], and a [name_f]Mina[/name_f] whose American, that’s what I love about names like [name_u]Finn[/name_u] and [name_f]Mina[/name_f], their universal and go with a variety of people

I think of Russian

I like [name_f]Mina[/name_f]. I think it’s an international name and I wouldn’t link it to any particular culture. In [name_m]Britain[/name_m], it was traditionally a nickname for [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] e.g. [name_f]Mina[/name_f] Harker in Dracula. But I’ve heard of [name_u]South[/name_u] [name_f]Asian[/name_f] and Japanese women with this name, and it probably exists in many other cultures too.

1 Like

I’d think it’s Italian, honestly.

Though I know it’s a [name_m]German[/name_m] diminutive of [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f].

When I hear it, or if it’s spelt [name_f]Meena[/name_f], I instinctively think it’s of [name_u]South[/name_u] [name_f]Asian[/name_f] origin. But when I see it spelt as [name_f]Mina[/name_f], I instinctively think it’s a diminutive name of Western European origin.

Slavic

Me too! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it

Spelled [name_f]Mina[/name_f] I would assume Slavic or possibly Scandinavian? ([name_f]My[/name_f] apologies if I’m way off)

Possibly [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]

Really, lots of cultures and languages seem to have a Mina.

In general, I’d assume (potentially incorrectly) not Africa, not Asia, not Middle East.

Mina could come from a name nascent to Western/Central/Southern/Northern/Eastern Europe or the previously W. European-colonized, now independent countries of Australia, NZ, Canada, and those throughout the Americas.

My first pop-culture reference is also Dracula, as others above me have mentioned, for what it’s worth!

Russian was my first thought. But I don’t actually know the answer

It sounds very international, I’m not sure I would assume an origin. If I had to choose, it would be [name_m]German[/name_m].

I would assume [name_m]German[/name_m], because I think it was originally a dimunitive of [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]? I’m not sure about that though. It sounds like it could be from most Eastern European countries.

I know 1 [name_f]Mina[/name_f] and a girl named [name_f]Melina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mina[/name_f]. One is Korean and one is biracial, with spanish heritage as well. I think it is really one of those name that is international.