What’s it like having twins?

Hey guys! [name_m]Just[/name_m] out of curiosity what’s it like having twins? For as long as I can remember I have always wanted twins, but now they I actually have a baby girl, I don’t know how I would feel about having twins.

This might do better in the Momberries category, I could switch it if you’d like because you’d probably get better answers there

1 Like

That would be great, thank you!

1 Like

Hi! I don’t have twins or kids, but I was a nanny for a set of twins from the time they were a few months old to a few years, so I learned a lot.

Challenges:

1. Pregnancy and birth: This is probably a no-brainer, but there are added layers/challenges to pregnancy and birth involving multiple babies.
  2. Balance: certain tasks are extremely difficult for one adult to handle when caring for two babies/toddlers. actually, sometimes it was still hard with two adults in the room. The family and I would often joke that we needed at least 3 or 4 people to do anything even mildly complicated. however, this isn’t constant, and you most definitely figure out how to make it work. There were times when I would sit one baby in a highchair and spoonfeed them while I held the other and gave them a bottle. Sometimes one baby would wake up early from their nap RIGHT when the other one finally went down. Sometimes a crying baby wakes up the other sleeping baby. it can be difficult, but it’s also interesting and fun, and there are also plenty of moments where it’s easy too.
  3. Jealousy: this one is natural and can be worked through as long as you show both children love and attention, but there was certainly a more jealous baby of the two, and they would sometimes get aggressive with the other if their toy was taken, if they felt like the other was getting more attention, etc.

Benefits:

1. This one is the most obvious benefit, and that’s double the love. Twice the fun, laughs, cute baby bellies and toes, twice the first-time-doing-something pride. It’s really so amazing and so much fun.
  2. Companionship: this used to sound annoyingly cliche to me, but they really do keep each other company, at least at the toddler/young child age. That doesn’t mean you don’t supervise them, but they entertain each other sometimes so that the ownace is not entirely on you. It can be exhausting to “dumb yourself down” and baby talk all day, and them having each other gives you a little break from that. Also, sometimes babies get a little sick of us too! If they got bored with me for a few minutes they would turn their attention to the other baby. It was really nice. In addition: since they’re twins they are likely at a same or similar developmental stage, so they understand each other pretty well.
  3. Perspective: this is a jump off the last point I made, but twins learn SO much from each other, and they learn that the world doesn’t revolve around them (instead they learn that the world revolves around the TWO of them, lol!). I experienced these amazing moments where both babies would be acting very clingy, but then one baby would suddenly need all of my attention- for example if they fell and got hurt- and quite immediately the other one would quiet down, go sit in a corner and play by themselves for a few minutes. I knew that on some level they understood what I needed to do as their caretaker, and they let me do so. Kids are really awesome. :relaxed:

I have also nannied for a single baby around the same age, and while many things are MUCH easier and move much more quickly, I find myself slightly preferring to take care of twins. Of course, this was just my experience, and also, my twins had high-strung personalities which made them a little more difficult than others :sweat_smile: However I love them as if they were my own and I wouldn’t trade my time with them for anything.

Edit: I just wanted to quickly add that most of what I said can be applied simply to having two kids close in age and not only twins, however, there are several nuances that are specific to twins, which can be hard to explain if you’re not raising them.

8 Likes

Such great advice, thank you!

I agree with much of what @rosajune said. :blush:

It’s wonderful having twins. It can be difficult to get out anywhere when they are little, but it does get easier as they get older.

Having twins certainly shows you just how unique each child is.

My twins were my first experience caring for babies so to me taking care of just one would seem odd.

Never knew I could become so good at multitasking :joy:

4 Likes

I’m a twin myself, and I have new born twins (they’re 7 weeks old).

I’m not sure what to think of it yet. Of course I adore my twin boys, but I have two older children as well: one is 5 years old and my second is almost 16 months old. Our twins were born at 32+2 weeks, which further complicated things, plus we’re in the middle of a pandemic, and frankly: it’s exhausting. Being pregnant with twins is much more exhausting than with a single baby, and my pregnancy was even relatively easy compared to some twin pregnancies. Feeding two babies, getting two babies ready to go out, getting both of them to sleep at the same time: it’s not always easy.

But I don’t want to sound too negative. It’s absolutely adorable to see them together, they’re so little but they enjoy each other’s company already. And I agree with @whatchamacallit that it really shows how unique each child is. [name_f]My[/name_f] boys had their own character traits before they were even born, and when they were in the NICU they were already so different from each other: [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] is quiet and observing, while [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] demands attention whenever he feels like it.

Having twins has good and bad sides, like everything in life I suppose. I’m glad I get the chance to take care of my twin boys and see them grow up together, but it’s not always as romantic as some people imagine it to be. But having a twin brother myself I know there are advantages too. [name_f]My[/name_f] twin brother is my best friend and so much more, it’s such a special bond and I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

3 Likes

Agreed. The newborn/infant stage is the hardest. It has gotten easier since mine have turned 2. :blush:

2 Likes

Agreed!!

I am a twin myself but I also have twins myself who are now 8 weeks old. I am now prepared to look after multiples as I also have triplets (who are now 2).

I am finding the challenges are certainly feeding both of them as it really takes a toll on your body (even with just one baby) and it can make it harder if one of the babies doesn’t feed very well (which is the case for me as the younger twin [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] isn’t feeding very well). Also sleep is made much more of a rarity with two babies as even if you get one of them asleep, there is always the possibility that the other one can wake sleeping one up, so I would say just sleep whenever and wherever you can!

One of the most commonly asked questions about twins is “[name_m]Don[/name_m]’t you ever get them mixed up?!” and for me the answer is, in the first couple of weeks I did as they were yet to show any slight differences in their personality. Now, at the 8 week stage, [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is the bigger of the two (and the elder twin), feeds very well and loves to be rocked whereas [name_u]Jonah[/name_u] is the smaller one, doesn’t feel as well and is significantly more vocal than [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]. I also use different colored baby grows (green and purple) for each baby, just in case!

Of course it is wonderful as you get double the love and double the cuteness and I know speaking from my experience of being a twin, they get to grow up together and there will rarely be a closer bond.

5 Likes

Well, I had twins and lemmie say, its hard!!! (but rewarding)
-You have times two of everything: clothes, bottles, diapers etc.
-It can be extreamely stressful at times because lets say you have both babies crying at once and they both need different thing- its hard!
-Both of my babies are also pretty clingly so that can be tiring holding both babies at once :grimacing:
-Although the difficultys, you have times 2 cuteness :wink:
-And when they’re growing up they will always have a best friend!
All in all i’d say it’s a blessing :hugs:

6 Likes