What’s your favourite classic girl name?

Hello

So I’ve been thinking about your stereotypical classic girls name. Your stereotypical Western choices of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]’s, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]’s & [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]’s they are just such solid staples in Western society. Anyways I’m curious what is your absolute favourite classic girl name? Why is that one your favourite? Finally would you name your daughter that name and either way why would/wouldn’t you?

Really curious! Thank you berries :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Elizabeth, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], and [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/Kathryn lol

I wouldn’t name my kids a classic Western girl name. I’m [name_f]Indian[/name_f], and I want to give my kid a name from my culture.

4 Likes

Charlotte for its understated elegance, it’s softness and its strength and its ties to [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Brontë! I would probably use it as a middle name

5 Likes

Elisabeth, with that spelling.

2 Likes

@anon80426808 of course if you come from a culture that isn’t Western then your stereotypical classics will not be [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] mother is Jewish born in [name_u]Israel[/name_u] her classic names are [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] & [name_f]Chaya[/name_f]. I was talking from a western viewpoint as I’m raised in [name_f]England[/name_f] therefore my classics are different & Western. Still really curious to here what your favourite classics would be! It’s interesting to see different classics :purple_heart:
Also apologises by asking a very Western question and not considering other cultures. I’ve altered the question to make it hopefully more inclusive!

Thank you for all those who have answered so far interesting to hear!

4 Likes

Elizabeth and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] are my two favourite classic names and I love them equally.
[name_f]My[/name_f] first daughter is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. Unfortunately their father hated the name [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] as he said it was too related to a particular [name_u]Christian[/name_u] denomination. In the end I gave up trying for my [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and went for other favourites in different genres. if I could have a daughter today (impossible but if), she would be [name_f]Catherine[/name_f].

2 Likes

I love lots of them, but the name that I think of as the most classic (that I also love) is [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. It feels timeless, I love the sound, and I have so many good associations! For a name that I think of as classic but not quite the girl name is [name_f]Alice[/name_f]; I love the sound and it has a lot of meaning for me!

5 Likes

I really love
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
Which I guess are more modern classics?

5 Likes

Oh, no, it’s totally fine! I’m sorry if I came off as short or rude, I totally did not mean to :blush:

1 Like

Gwendolen :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] (yes, yes, I know you all know this by now) because it is timeless, literary, sophisticated, and just all-around lovely. :slight_smile:

Clara, [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] are up there, too. I love a lot of classics!

4 Likes

Clara
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

4 Likes

Silvia is my current top favorite girl name, in general. It’s such a beautiful name, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Anna. It’s a gorgeous, simple, chic, international name that feels stylish and versatile, and totally timeless.

Susannah. Strangely underused for such a pretty, strong, sophisticated name. I also love the nicknames [name_f]Suki[/name_f] and [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] :yellow_heart:

6 Likes

I love [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. It is probably in my top 5.

1 Like

[name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f]

2 Likes

Oh no you didn’t not at all I just didn’t want to offend by asking a question that seemed very western centred the polar opposite of inclusive! Definitely happy I altered the question to be more reflective of everyone :blush:

1 Like

In my culture my favorites have to be [name_f]Lourdes[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Esperanza[/name_f], [name_u]Rosario[/name_u], and [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], probably much more since I love classical Mexican girl names but can’t think of any right now :sweat_smile:

American wise I love [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] spelling

3 Likes

Leonor and Eloísa

1 Like

[name_u]Maria[/name_u]

It has such a history, translates well into many languages, is religious but common enough to the point it’s not too religious, known of but not super common in my part of the US.

I also like [name_f]Katharine[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u], and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]/Rosa.

3 Likes