What’s your favourite classic girl name?

I love so many!

Anne is my favorite.

2 Likes

Margaret :heart:

1 Like

Susannah, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], & [name_f]Jane[/name_f] for me!

Susannah I would use, I feel like it’s not used much anymore due to the traditional nicknames and the middle aged feel of [name_f]Sue[/name_f]/Susan which I definitely get. I’m thinking NN [name_f]Sanna[/name_f], which totally autocorrected to “Samba” just now so maybe that to lol!

Margaret I wouldn’t use, just because there’s a [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] in my semi-immediate family that I saw a lot growing up. She’s really nice, but not so close to me that I’d want to name a Chile after her, so I’d just feel weird. Maybe as a middle, but still not sold! Maybe as a pet fish?

Jane I’m not opposed to using as a first, but for some reason I like it more as a middle.

3 Likes

Catherine and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Joan.

It’s so cool and understated and packs such an amazing history. I would love to use it one day. I also love the nn [name_f]Jonie[/name_f].
I also love [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] alot and always will.

3 Likes

Maybe [name_f]Jane[/name_f]? Honestly, this is one group of names I’m not a fan of because I find all of them rather dull. I’d never use them.

2 Likes

Anna, [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]

2 Likes

Julia
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]

My favorites! Though I realize I almost recited the entire list of classic names just now :expressionless:

2 Likes

Charlotte
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]

1 Like

Amelia
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Nadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

1 Like

Katherine for sure. I fell in love with it because of a character, but it’s really grown on me as the name I want for my future daughter.

Others I love are [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] ([name_f]Lucy[/name_f]), [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

1 Like

I love classic names so it’s hard to narrow them down!

Elizabeth, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], and [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] are my very favorites. I also like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], plus [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] has been growing on me a lot, recently!

I would love to use [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] as a first name, though I could be easily convinced to use any of the others I mentioned, too.

1 Like

My favourite names are not what one would consider classic, but my favourite in this category is probably [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

4 Likes

My favourite is [name_f]Katharine[/name_f]/Catherine, but I also love [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I guess these names are classic for the very reason that they are loved by many and so continue to be used.

I like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] very much but, interestingly, these seem a little out of fashion at the moment. Though, of course, by the very nature of the fact that they are classics, means that they are still used to some degree. A lot of the biblical names are classics, like [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f].

I find it interesting how some classics slightly change form eg, [name_f]Ann[/name_f]/e has been popular for centuries, but currently [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is the form being used. [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] became predominantly [name_f]Susan[/name_f] in the 1950s and 60s, and has gone back to [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] as the more on trend version. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is not often used today, but has been used for centuries, but today it crops up as the fairly popular [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. [name_f]Helen[/name_f] is more likely to be [name_f]Helena[/name_f], and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] feels more current than [name_u]Louise[/name_u]. Some might see these variations as not quite the same as the classics, but I think it is really just continuing the classic use of the name.

And spellings have changed over centuries eg [name_f]Alys[/name_f], [name_f]Allice[/name_f]. And [name_f]Elinor[/name_f] was once the popular spelling (as [name_u]Austen[/name_u] fans will know) and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] was the “creative” spelling of the day!

5 Likes

Abigail :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Anna[/name_f]!

1 Like

Catherine
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]

I probably wouldn’t use some of them because of popularity but I do really like them. :blush:

I love [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] too! :heart:

1 Like

I also love [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], an under-used classic right now. It was very popular in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] in the 1800s, but seems to have been continually used through the centuries in [name_f]England[/name_f] (there was a [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] of [name_m]York[/name_m] in 1400s). I was delighted to find a couple of ancestors called [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] in the 1600s in [name_f]England[/name_f], as well as an Irish one in the 1800s. I know a little [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] too which I think is delightful!

3 Likes

Bridget
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_u]Anne[/name_u]
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]

1 Like

Mine is [name_u]Maria[/name_u]!

1 Like