What say you...

to [name]Nara[/name]? For a girl.

Myself, I like its simplicity, rarity, and similarity to familiar names like [name]Sara[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Mara[/name]. I also like its ethnic ambiguity. My association is (male) Japanese artist Yoshimoto [name]Nara[/name], but it has been used as a feminine first name in South [name]America[/name], and Nameberry has its origin as Celtic.

Does it sound made up?

I know it’s a real name, but to me, [name]Nara[/name] still has that “Huh? Is that a real name?” quality, because it isn’t heard often. I personally don’t care for [name]Nara[/name], because in addition to pronunciation issues (nare-uh or nahr-uh), it makes me think of Nair, the smelly leg hair removal lotion. I’m sorry. :frowning:

I wondered if it was made up but it does have that winning sound. Which pronunciation is standard?

I pronounce it Nahr-uh, or Nah-ruh, again, for the artist. And I’m not bothered by drugstore or TV commercial points of reference. I would totally name a girl [name]Allegra[/name], for example. Unless a kid is named Lady Speed Stick or PowerBar Protein Plus, I’m going to assume a meaning richer than a [name]Madison[/name] Avenue brain spasm. Similarly, I say name your kid [name]Angus[/name] or [name]Harlow[/name] no matter what body part or world’s oldest profession they sound like. Why limit your choices to the lowest common denominator?

Cool, the “ah” sound is what I was hoping for :slight_smile:

Considering that’s my name, I love it. I’m not american though, I’m Brazilian and here it’s as normal as [name]Sara[/name]. Though you won’t see it as oftern. In USA people call me Nah-ruh, but in [name]Brazil[/name] it’s Nah-rah. A bit different.

Prefer [name]Norah[/name].

I like the name [name]Nara[/name]. I like Japanese names too. [name]Nara[/name] I found to mean “the nearest and dearest one, an oak tree, a companion” in Japanese. The name Nari also Japanese means “thunder child, humble child, child who climbs high”. [name]Nara[/name] has different meanings in other languages too. I like short sweet names though so I’m probably biased.