What should we name our first child?

Our first child is due in [name_u]August[/name_u] and we are down to four names:

William [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks

Which do you prefer? Thanks!

I love [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m], so I vote for [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m].
You have a fantastic list! Congratulations and good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you! Forgot to add the nicknames:

William nn: [name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] nn: [name_m]Ben[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] nn: [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] nn: [name_u]Drew[/name_u]

1 Like

Andrew feels most distinctive. I can’t think of any little boys called [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] or [name_u]Drew[/name_u] but plenty of [name_m]William[/name_m]/Liam, [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]/Ben, and [name_m]Charles[/name_m]/Charlie.

2 Likes

All of them are great choices!
I think my favorite is [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ben[/name_m], followed closely by [name_m]William[/name_m] nn [name_m]Liam[/name_m].
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] are also really nice though, you can’t go wrong!

1 Like

William and [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] are my favourites! Classic, timeless and handsome.

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

This is tricky. They’re all handsome classic names. They’re all equally popular, & all sound nice w/Hicks. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about nick-names? I think that [name_m]William[/name_m], you may get an occasional [name_m]Will[/name_m] or [name_u]Willie[/name_u] whether you want to or not. Does that bother you? If you choose to go w/Bill you may get a [name_u]Billy[/name_u] or vice versa. I personally think [name_u]Billy[/name_u] is adorable, but don’t care for [name_m]Bill[/name_m] much.

As for [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_m]Benny[/name_m] & [name_m]Benji[/name_m] may all crop up now & then if you choose to just go w/Benjamin. I think that all of the nns are cute as well as [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] on its own.

Okay, maybe [name_m]Charles[/name_m] doesn’t sound as good w/Hicks because of the repeating ‘s’ endings. But it doesn’t sound bad either. Lots of nns for [name_m]Charles[/name_m]! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you plan on using one? I love [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]. You could also go a little more out there & do [name_u]Cal[/name_u], [name_m]Cab[/name_m], [name_u]Chance[/name_u], [name_u]Chase[/name_u] or [name_m]Chet[/name_m].

[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] Hicks sounds really good as do [name_u]Andy[/name_u] or [name_u]Drew[/name_u]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like those? I have known Andrews who are just Andrews & don’t actually get the nns too often.

I’m probably no help, huh? [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite is [name_m]William[/name_m], but I think that there’s a comedian called [name_m]Bill[/name_m] Hicks. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband likes him, so he’s probably crude & controversial! That being said, I think I vote for [name_m]Charles[/name_m] because I love all the nns so much. If you’re not a nn person, then I vote for [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I personally prefer [name_m]William[/name_m].

1 Like

Charles [name_m]Robert[/name_m]. [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] ages so well.

1 Like

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them they are all good solid names.
I would pick [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]/Ben.

1 Like

I love [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] :blush:

1 Like

They’re all good names - [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is probably the least popular out of your choices if you care about that sort of thing. I think of your options [name_m]William[/name_m] is my favourite, though only just. The double S sound in [name_m]Charles[/name_m] Hicks doesn’t totally sit right with me but if he’s mainly going to be called [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] it doesn’t matter so much.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts! I think you bring up some great points! I love all of the names so I am torn between them.

I think [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] are great names but I am not as crazy about the nicknames that go with them. If we went with [name_m]William[/name_m] I think we would use [name_m]Liam[/name_m] as opposed to [name_m]Bill[/name_m] or [name_m]Will[/name_m]. I really like the fact that [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] is 3 syllables but [name_m]Ben[/name_m] Hicks may be a little choppy.

As for [name_m]Charles[/name_m], I agree that it does not sound as good as the other names with Hicks but I love [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and think the 2 syllable nickname goes well with Hicks.

I love [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]. Not a fan of [name_u]Andy[/name_u] but I love [name_u]Drew[/name_u] as a nickname. I think [name_u]Drew[/name_u] Hicks flows pretty well even though they are both one syllable names.

This is really tough because I really like of if the names in different ways. I really appreciate your input!

Benjamin is my first choice, [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] would be my second.

1 Like

They’re all solid picks but my personal fave is [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]

2 Likes

[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] are my favorites! I’ll vote for [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] because I think it flows a little better!

1 Like

It was a little tough until you mentioned the nn’s

My pick is [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
Then [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] and [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

1 Like

William is my favorite. I know it’s common, but it’s such a handsome classic. That one gets my vote! Though [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] is a close second…and I do think I like ‘[name_u]Drew[/name_u]’ more than ‘[name_m]Liam[/name_m]’.

1 Like

In order from favorite to least favorite (though they are all great).

William [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks & [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks (tie)
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks

2 Likes

My brother (in his early 20’s) is [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] nn [name_u]Drew[/name_u]! It gets my vote because [name_u]Drew[/name_u] is such a sweet, cool, but under-used nn option. Also [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Hicks sounds lovely.

1 Like