What style is Tessa?

We are expecting a girl in early [name]March[/name]. [name]Tessa[/name] has been our front-runner for a number of months now but there is part of me that is just not sure and wonders if it is substantial or pretty enough? I like names like [name]Anna[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name], and while they are solid, classic and strong, I don’t know that I would choose them since I think [name]Tessa[/name] has a bit more interest, and perhaps, a casual or bohemian vibe too?

I told somebody we were thinking [name]Tessa[/name] the other day, and I was met with a blank ‘polite’ stare. While I understand everybody has there own opinions, I do very much want to have a positive reaction from people when I announce my new baby’s name. I guess I am just looking for something pretty but casual.

[name]How[/name] would you describe or recieve the name [name]Tessa[/name]?

Thanks!

While I prefer [name]Tess[/name] nn [name]Tessa[/name] or [name]Tessie[/name], I think that [name]Tessa[/name] is a beautiful name! I think that it is classic and casual; the best kind of style. It does, however remind me of names like, [name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Melissa[/name], and [name]Alyssa[/name], which are NMS, but [name]Tessa[/name] is a great name. The only way you will get a positive reaction from everyone is to pick a name that everyone likes, which is impossible. Choose the name that you love!

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I love [name]Tessa[/name], nn [name]Tess[/name]! Like pp said, you will never find a name that you get 100% positive response.

Hmmm…I think maybe it’s not so much my sensitivity to others’ reaction as it is my wondering whether I [name]LOVE[/name] it enough? I want to ‘fall in love’ with my daughter’s name. I wonder, is this realistic or just a romantic notion? [name]Tessa[/name] suits our family style very much and while I like it alot, I don’t know if I ‘adore’ it.

Getting it right is so hard!

I know what you mean. Honestly, I didn’t fall in love with my daughter’s name until she was at least a year old. Sure, I loved the name, and it was the one we both agreed on. But I didn’t have a strong attachment to it until after she was born and she started to grow into her name. She began to ‘become’ her name (for lack of a better word), and I am enamored with her name now…I can’t picture a better name for her. It certainly helped that people would comment “I love her name!” or “her name fits her so well!” – and you absolutely will hear that if you name your daughter [name]Tessa[/name]. I think there was a time that negative reactions bothered me, because I wasn’t very firmly in love with her name at the time, I wasn’t even sure how strongly I liked it or if I would pick it all over again. But now I can honestly say that if I read a negative comment about her name online, it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. 90% of the population could frown at the name and it wouldn’t change how much I love it.

I say this because not everyone falls in love with a name before the child is here. Sometimes you have to trust your gut and take a leap of faith…and believe me, you will fall in love with whatever name you choose. I am still getting there with my second daughter’s name (she is 3+ months old now), but I know I will fall in love with it in time.

@gigi22 - yes of course, thank you for your thoughts. this is an interesting perspective that I hadn’t considered. like I said, [name]Tessa[/name] just seems to be the best ‘fit’. perhaps as you say, I will grow to ‘[name]LOVE[/name]’ it when it becomes attached to my sweet baby.

I think [name]Tessa[/name] is a beautiful name. My sister’s good friend is named [name]Tessa[/name] and she is unique, sophisticated, and intelligent. I think the style is classy/slightly vintage/elegant. I understand what you mean about wanting to [name]LOVE[/name] the name. But, speaking from experience, my names evolved over time and I now have a short list of 4 different combos. [name]Even[/name] now, just days away from D-day, I’m still researching and reading about new and unique names. I don’t know if I can get to the “[name]LOVE[/name]” the name stage until after she is born and we commit to just 1.

My 2 year old daughter is [name]Tessa[/name], and I [name]LOVE[/name] that we chose that name for her. It’s not common, but not unusual either. It’s perfect, in my opinion. I think it is classic and cute for a little girl, but also suitable for a young girl or woman as she grows. We’ve really gotten a lot of positive comments on her name. Some people automatically assume the nn ‘[name]Tess[/name]’ which I’m not crazy about…but it doesn’t bother me that much.

I will say that I was totally in love with the name before she was born. Now that she’s here and the name fits her so well, I love it even more!

I like all the qualities you guys are associating with the name [name]Tessa[/name]. Thanks~ I also get a Southern belle or [name]Wild[/name] [name]Rose[/name] feel from the name too, which I like.

@violetkappa - good to hear your direct experience. I am also drawn to the name since it is not terribly common but common enough. Like you, I am also not crazy about the nn [name]Tess[/name] but know that it is probably an inevitability. I hope I can get comfortable with that. Did you have a difficult time finding a MN for [name]Tessa[/name]? I am really struggling with that. I have a preference for names that start with vowels, but a couple of them that start with ‘A’ don’t seem like the best fit beside the lower ‘a’ of [name]Tessa[/name].

I would like to honour my late grandmother [name]Alma[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], since this baby is due on her birthday but not sure it works well enough. Here are some other MN’s I like. What do you guys think?

[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Alma[/name] (grandmother’s FN)
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (grandmother’s MN)
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Nicole[/name] (my own MN)
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Anna[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Alina[/name]

We have also been searching for a MN that references the midnight sun since she was concieved during the week of summer solstice and we live up near the arctic circle where the sun doesn’t go down for more than an hour. Does anybody have any great names that relate to the bright or endless sun?

Thanks!

[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is perfect then! [name]Claire[/name] means “bright”! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Tessa[/name] is a beautiful, elegant name. I like that it’s not too popular but still a familiar name.
I agree that [name]Tessa[/name] doesn’t really flow properly with the middle names that begin with A. I like [name]Tessa[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
out of your list. Also [name]Tessa[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] sounds good.Since you want to honour your grandmother [name]Alma[/name] though, would you consider using two middle names so it flows better? for example,
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Alma[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Nicole[/name] [name]Alma[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Alma[/name]
I can’t really find any that mean midnight, bright, or endless sun but…
[name]Eliana[/name]/[name]Eliane[/name]-greek, daughter of the sun
[name]Kalinda[/name]-hindi, the sun
[name]Nura[/name]/[name]Nuru[/name]-swahilim, born in daylight, light
[name]Solana[/name]-the sun
Helea-greek, the sun
[name]Zara[/name]-hebrew, the brightest dawn
Good luck finding names!

In terms of flow, I too like [name]Tessa[/name] [name]Claire[/name] the best. I’m just not sure if I want something a bit more significant for her. It’s true that [name]Claire[/name] means ‘bright’ or ‘clear’, but the reference isn’t as strong as I would like to the midnight sun. [name]Eliana[/name] would have been perfect but it’s the MN of my first daughter!

My new consideration is for [name]Tessa[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] (a variant of my own name) but not sure since it feels a bit self-loving perhaps?