What the verdict on Blue? Middle name, nickname, or nothing?

I have heard of [name_u]Blue[/name_u] being trendy ever since the whole Beyoncé thing. But I still find it cool as a middle name. I think it adds a cool, hipster vibe to more common names.

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about [name_u]Blue[/name_u]? Cute middle name, cool nickname, or just bad?

Addendum: Thank you all! Do you like the combo Francesca Blue? Or should I give Blue to another of my lists needy names: Araminta, Elodie, Livia, Electra (overkill, probably), Octavia, Savannah, Georgiana…?

Fun fact. [name_f]Beyonce[/name_f] actually named [name_u]Blue[/name_u] after the singer [name_f]Adele[/name_f] who’s full name is actually [name_f]Adele[/name_f] [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] [name_u]BLUE[/name_u] Adkins. I think it’s an AWESOME middle name. I also have a friend who’s middle name is [name_u]Bleu[/name_u] (like bleu cheese, but also pronounced like [name_u]Blue[/name_u]).

I love [name_u]Blue[/name_u]! I think it’s modern and has a cool sound and beat. I would only use it as a middle name for either gender, but that’s just a personal preference. It’s a good idea to use it as a nickname, like you said. As for it being trendy, I wouldn’t worry too much about that. [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] and [name_m]Rhett[/name_m] used it as a middle name for their daughter in Gone With the Wind, so it does have more “ancient” roots :slight_smile: [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

I’ve always thought [name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] was a cute combo. I like it!

I think that since Beyoncé did it [name_u]Blue[/name_u] is more of a trendy thing than a hippy thing.

It is a sweet middle. I think one syllable middles are a longtime trend. [name_u]Blue[/name_u], [name_f]Bee[/name_f], [name_f]Plum[/name_f], [name_m]Bear[/name_m] and [name_u]Bird[/name_u] are the new [name_f]Linn[/name_f], [name_u]Rae[/name_u] and [name_u]Lou[/name_u].

I have a friend who when she was pregnant with her son had decided if he had been a girl she was going to name her [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]! I love it! :wink:

I love it as a nickname for [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] (which has been growing on me over the past few weeks), and as a middle name.

[name_f]Valerie[/name_f]: wow, I didn’t know that actually. I never actually read in depth about Beyoncé’s reasoning. Thanks for the fun fact!

C_Elizabeth: I agree the vibe is has a great beat. It kinda reminds me of the piece “[name_f]Rhapsody[/name_f] in [name_u]Blue[/name_u]”. Thanks for the help.

[name_f]Erin[/name_f]: thanks, you’re always helpful! [name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] is so sweet.

Flamingo: good point, that was my fear.

Lerenard: I totally agree, one syllable middles just flow so well with everything! (Well, except one syllable first names…)

TafferMom: that’s really neat, [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] is also awesome!

NameWolf: [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] is neat as well, but I feel that [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] vs. [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] give very different vibes.

Thanks you all! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like the combo [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]? Or should I give [name_u]Blue[/name_u] to another of my lists needy names: [name_f]Araminta[/name_f], [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Livia[/name_f], [name_f]Electra[/name_f] (overkill, probably), [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_f]Savannah[/name_f], [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]…?

I’m not a fan of [name_u]Blue[/name_u]. At all.

It’s a slang term for sad, gloomy, or depressed.

It also reminds me of the Eiffel 65 song “Blue (Da Ba Dee)”.

I agree with Casilda, every time I see blue as a name it just screams sad and gloomy, even with the colour connection too, I wouldn’t want that depressed connection to anything I name my child. I feel the same about [name_u]Grey[/name_u], but at least it doesn’t have the slag connotations of [name_u]Blue[/name_u].

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] is quite lovely, although I’m not usually a massive fan. I tend to really like cutesy B names (that’s probably an understatement, I’ve even thought seriously about [name_f]Bunny[/name_f]) but I just don’t love the sound of it.

I do adore [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] though, it’s firmly on my list (nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u]).

I like [name_u]Blue[/name_u] as a middle name or a nickname. I love the [name_u]Raven[/name_u] Boys cycle by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] Stiefvater, and the main female character is named [name_u]Blue[/name_u]. It fits her, but I always thought it would be hard for an actual girl to pull off as a legit first name.

I like [name_u]Blue[/name_u] as a first but it seems lacking to me sometimes for some reason and putting a middle name behind it always makes it look weird to me. It starts to sound like I’m reading a sentence rather than a name. I think I like it better as a middle and nickname. I like [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] and [name_f]Araminta[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u], both are so pretty!!!

Very interesting, I never knew that!

I love [name_u]Blue[/name_u] as a middle name!

From your list my favorite combos would be;
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] & [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]

It’s super-cool as a nickname for Azula!

Yes, middle name [name_u]Blue[/name_u] would be very cool. Some suggestions:
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]

Casilda and Illabeth: good point I hadn’t thought of that, but I think as a middle name no one would really care enough to associate it with gloominess, especially if the girl isn’t gloomy.
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]: oh, [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] is adorable. And I can see the appeal of [name_f]Bunny[/name_f] as a nickname or middle name, too. It’s just so cute!
MVO1986: I agree, as a first name it’s not ideal. I’m thinking of using it as a nickname for [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] or a middle name.
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]: I totally agree, even if [name_u]Blue[/name_u] worked a little better as a fn, I think it would be a challenge to find a mn. And thank you!
[name_m]Jam[/name_m] jam: thank you! I do enjoy [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u], though for now I’ve kept [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] with [name_u]Blue[/name_u]…
Raevyn: Hadn’t thought of that, it’s a neat idea. Or [name_f]Azura[/name_f] could work ([name_m]French[/name_m] for “blue sky”)
[name_f]Lace[/name_f] [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]: [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is very nice, reminds me of [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f], which is a fave of mine.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about really traditional names like [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]? [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]? [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]?