What to do about Hugo?

My sister recently came out as transgender and is now my brother; his name was originally [name_f]Holly[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] and he is going by [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] [name_f]Comet[/name_f]. ([name_f]Comet[/name_f] is tentative) I love the name [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] with a passion, but assuming my brother’s name doesn’t change by the time I have kids, it’s unusable. Can you guys help me come up with some names like it?

Personally, I’d keep [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] on the list. It’s a one-of-a-kind name; you’ve loved it for ages, and now it’s a family name. Who says your future son wouldn’t love being named after Uncle [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]?

Aw agree with seedsandstones! It would be a great namesake. Are you wanting the ‘o’ ending? What about [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_u]Theo[/name_u], [name_u]Roscoe[/name_u]?

I agree. But for alternatives my first thought was [name_m]Jago[/name_m] ([name_u]JAY[/name_u]-go) and then [name_m]Iago[/name_m].

I also agree! If you are considering other names as well, here are some to choose from:

[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]

Thanks, everyone! The honor name suggestion was awesome; I hadn’t really thought of it. Out of your suggestions, I really liked [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (which is on my long list), [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] (the middle in my [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] combo!), [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], [name_m]Milo[/name_m] (on my list), and [name_m]Otto[/name_m]!

I’m partial to [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] as it’s my son’s name and to me simply perfect, but since this will now be your brother’s name you are right in wanting to let go of it… unless you would consider using it as a middle name as a way to still use your favorite and honor your brother. Names I feel like are similar: [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_m]Marco[/name_m], [name_m]Raymond[/name_m], [name_m]Alec[/name_m], [name_m]Quentin[/name_m], [name_m]Emile[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] and [name_m]Victor[/name_m].

I agree it would be kind of nice to be named after Uncle [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and hopefully your brother would see it as a real honor! [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is strongly in the same vein as [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] for me (both my favorites!) [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] was also be a cute derivative.