What to do about Una?

Hi everyone!

I’ve been feeling a bit doubtful about one of my top combos, Una Adele. Not exactly sure why, I’m just not loving it quite as much.

The long version for those who want it:

There might be several reasons for the bad feeling:

• It’s about Una - perhaps a little too short? I could do Oona or Oonagh, but I’m not sure I like them as much.
  • Una and Luna - with the popularity of Luna (and the fact it’s one of my guinea pig’s names), perhaps that has made it lose some shine?
    *It’s about Adele - I love it, but it shares sounds with my brother’s name (Ad@m), and I don’t want to honour
    *It’s about the two together - sometimes I just find it a bit awkward compared to my other combos? A bit incohesive? That doesn’t normally bother me, but it might be now?

I guess I have a few options here:

• Wait it out - the feelings might pass and I’ll come back round to it.
  • Find a new middle
  • See if the Oona spelling works for me
  • Ditch it and replace it with a different combo

So here’s where you come in:

• Would you make a case for Una Adele staying?
  • Would you root for Una (or potentially Oona) staying in general?
  • Would you suggest a new middle name? If so, what would you suggest?
  • Would you vote for replacing it? If so, which (if any) of these would you put in my top four: Tansy Margot, Embla Phoebe, Cleo Penelope, Opal Tallulah, Opal Florence, Ginevra Scarlett?

The others in the top three: Sarai Matilda, Cherith Eliza, Mabli Charlotte

The short version:

Would you keep Una Adele, ditch Una entirely, or find a new combo?
What new middle would you suggest?

Thank you so much everyone - hope you’re having a good day!

I like [name_f]Una[/name_f]!

I think [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] would be lovely.

I also like [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Beth[/name_f],

1 Like

[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f] is OK, but it sounds more like sounds than two names if that makes sense.

I love [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Opal[/name_f], and [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f].

Hey there! So first off, I suggest you give all your other options a shot before completely ditching [name_f]Una[/name_f]. I think it goes well with your other combos.

I personally prefer [name_f]Oona[/name_f], since it feels more like a name to me due to cultural and language factors.

As for [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f], I think the feeling of it being incohesive might be from the A’s that run into each other. So maybe a middle that doesn’t begin with A (or any vowel, I think?) would be better?

Here are some ideas:
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (my favorite!)
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_u]Sloane[/name_u]
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

If you will be replacing [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f], I think either [name_f]Opal[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] or [name_u]Cleo[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] go the best with your other combos in the Top 3.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

2 Likes

[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f] is wonderful. I don’t find [name_f]Una[/name_f] too short — I feel like [name_f]Una[/name_f] works especially well with [name_f]Adele[/name_f] as both feel quite sleek and elegant. [name_f]Oona[/name_f] has quite a different vibe for me, softer and less sparky than [name_f]Una[/name_f] (Not in a bad way though, I love Oona!), so in my opinion [name_f]Una[/name_f] complements [name_f]Adele[/name_f] a little better. And I don’t find [name_f]Una[/name_f] and [name_f]Adele[/name_f] incohesive at all!
I can completely understand your concerns about unwillingly making a connection to your brother, but in my experience, there’s no need to worry. It’s the kind of creative honour that you’d see here on NB, I think, but most people irl wouldn’t notice.
I’m definitely rooting for [name_f]Una[/name_f] or [name_f]Oona[/name_f]! I do love [name_f]Opal[/name_f] [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] too, though. [name_f]Oona[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] or [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] come to mind as alternatives.
I’d suggest you switch up your combo for now and pop it in your UC/notes, then leave it there for a while and see if I feels right or you miss your old combo.

2 Likes

I’m not crazy about [name_f]Una[/name_f] or [name_f]Adele[/name_f]
I love [name_f]Tansy[/name_f] and [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
I’d do [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] x

1 Like

@Teabelle Thank you!! [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] and [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Beth[/name_f] are nice :slight_smile:

@Harvest-Endellion Thank you for your thoughts! Yeah, maybe that’s what bothers me about it.

@smnthphylls thank you! Yeah, that’s probably for the best! [name_f]Oona[/name_f] is growing on me, so I might try it out, see how I feel, and yeah, I think it probably is the A sounds. [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is wonderful (I feel like I like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] with everything, so that’s a good shout), [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] and [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] are great too.

@planetnames thank you for your thoughts!! I really like the way you describe [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f] - I’m going to think on that. And I agree about [name_f]Oona[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Una[/name_f], which I think is why [name_f]Una[/name_f] has always been my spelling of choice. I do like Oona/Una [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u]! Thank you for those ideas too :slight_smile:

@CashTheUnicorn thank you for the thoughts! [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] is cute!

1 Like

Una Adele is pretty! It makes me think of ballerinas and vintage photos and macarons. My favourite spelling is probably Oonagh but they are very different vibes…From your other options my favourite is Tansy Margot :heart:

1 Like

I think [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f] goes so nicely with your other top girl names. I adore [name_f]Oonagh[/name_f] as well. :heart_eyes:

[name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] also feels like such a you name, and [name_f]Opal[/name_f] [name_u]Florence[/name_u] is completely divine. I’d absolutely vote to put either of those in the top four while [name_f]Una[/name_f] isn’t feeling quite as sparkly! Then, I’d put [name_f]Una[/name_f] a little further down in the list for the time being. A gorgeous name, but if she’s not speaking so strongly to you at the moment, no need to keep her in your top. [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] / [name_f]Oonagh[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] would be my choice for an Una-refresh with a middle less tied to your brother!

1 Like

I personally really love [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] or [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] reading through that list, those really stood out to me. I think [name_f]Una[/name_f] is such a beautiful girls name, you’re completely on the right track with that one.

1 Like

The association I get with [name_f]Una[/name_f] is Stardust. I think [name_f]Una[/name_f] needs a harder sounding middle to balance out the softness.

2 Likes

I prefer the [name_f]Una[/name_f] spelling to Oona(gh).
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f] has the -a a- issue, two “schwa” unstressed vowels in a row. Maybe something with a consonant at the beginning?

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Una[/name_f] and [name_f]Oona[/name_f] and think [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f] sounds nice. The back to back A sounds might be why the flow is a bit off? They maybe run together a little. I can see your concerns with being misheard for the more popular [name_f]Luna[/name_f] but I don’t know how annoying that would actually be. I definitely wouldn’t assume [name_f]Adele[/name_f] was an honor for [name_m]Adam[/name_m].

So I would keep Una/Oona. Possibly find a new middle to improve flow but I do like [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f] as is.

1 Like

@persephonescrown thank you for the thoughts and imagery on [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f]!

@snowmaiden Thank you for your thoughts - that’s a good idea - taking it out for now but not losing it completely :slight_smile: [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is lovely!

@seawillow ooh [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] is lovely! Thank you!

@abigajl thank you for your thoughts! [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is charming :slight_smile:

@PRSing thank you for the thoughts!!

@NoMoreTopTen Thank you - that’s a good thought!

@sammaegre thank you for all the thoughts! I’m probably going to consider a few different middles to see how I feel then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t love [name_f]Una[/name_f] but I am going to go against the grain and says that it pairs well and flows well with [name_f]Adele[/name_f]. But if you are not sure about [name_f]Una[/name_f], what about bumping [name_f]Adele[/name_f] to the first name? It is beautiful.

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Una[/name_f], though I do probably prefer the [name_f]Oona[/name_f] spelling.

I think [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f] is fine, though I would probably pick a middle name that begins with a consonant so the names don’t run into each other and you don’t run into the intrusive R issue that happens in some accents (“Una Radele”).

[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

1 Like

@choupette thank you for your thoughts!! [name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] is lovely!

@CaptainAnna thank you for your thoughts!! I do love [name_f]Adele[/name_f] as a first name, but for me, it’s too close to my brother’s name for that :slight_smile: