What to do with Oberon...

[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] has been hovering near the top of my boys’ list for years now. I love the literary connection, I love the fairytale meaning, I love the way it sounds, I love the nicknames [name_m]Obi[/name_m], [name_u]Berry[/name_u], and [name_m]Bear[/name_m] - I love everything about this name, but I just cannot seem to find the right combo.

I’ve tried:

[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u] - I love the connotations of wisdom and that sage is used to create sacred space, but I feel like this combo is so heavy. [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is also becoming such a popular “cowboy” name, and that’s not the vibe I’m looking for.

[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u] - I love the imagery of the compass and the [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Star[/name_f], but I worry that it runs together too much. Plus there’s the Kimye thing - NOT an association I want.

[name_u]River[/name_u] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] - I like this on paper better than I like it said aloud, and I’m partial to [name_u]River[/name_u] for a girl.

Alder [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] - I like the lilt of this combo and the way it sounds almost like Aldebaran, but I’m not sure if Alder stands up to other firsts like [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_m]Emrys[/name_m].

I need some fresh inspiration. I’m looking for a nature name to pair with [name_u]Oberon[/name_u], whether first or middle. I want it to feel lush and green. I have a mild form of synesthesia, which is part of why it’s hard to find that perfect combo. It’s not about individual letters for me, but the word / name as a whole. I realize this might be a difficult ask, because synesthesia is so subjective. Examples of combos that give me that lush green feeling: [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Forest[/name_m], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u], and [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] [name_f]Cypress[/name_f].

[name_f]TIA[/name_f] for your help, sweet berries!

I like [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]!

[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Callum[/name_m]/[name_m]Callum[/name_m] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Summit
[name_u]Everest[/name_u] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]/[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Everest[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Lake[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Jett[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m]/[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]

Thank you @greyblue! I’m loving [name_u]Everest[/name_u] from this list! It has that velvety green vibe I’m looking for. I’m not sure about the flow… What do you think? My last name is two syllables and sounds a lot like Kellar.

I’m also a huge fan of [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] and [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f], though I’m not sure if they’re “the one.” Summit is great, and not a word name I’ve heard before! I’m adding it to my longlist rather than using it for [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] because it doesn’t have that green forest feeling. It feels more… well, grey-blue! Haha.

Keep the suggestions coming, loves!

[name_m]Heron[/name_m] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Basil[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Chrysanthos
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Esprit (You can anglicize the pronunciation or use the [name_m]French[/name_m] es-pree)
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Everard[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Évariste
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_f]Garland[/name_f]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_f]Hyacinth[/name_f]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Ivar[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Sherwood[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Vespasian
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Viorel
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Willoughby[/name_u]

[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Altair[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Amos[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Cove[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Clive[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Castor[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Clancy[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Duke[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Franz[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Finch[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Fraser[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Joel[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Poet[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Quest[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]True/name_u
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Viggo[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]

@electric_sheep - Ooh, [name_m]Heron[/name_m] is beautiful! I love that it’s unusual but familiar, mysterious, but understated. I’m also toying with [name_m]Sherwood[/name_m]. It definitely has that lush green feeling, although it’s a little surname-y for my taste.

@emmievis - I am loving [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Cove[/name_m]! It definitely feels more ocean than forest to me, but [name_m]Cove[/name_m] is such an evocative, magical name, and I love the bookending long O sounds in the combo. I’m going to have to really think about this one! I also like [name_m]Altair[/name_m] and [name_m]Wilder[/name_m], and the word names [name_u]Poet[/name_u], [name_m]Quest[/name_m], and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]. [name_u]Finch[/name_u] is sweet and adorable, not what I’m looking for with [name_u]Oberon[/name_u], but totally going onto my longlist. You also have some gorgeous combos in your signature! [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Bee[/name_f] and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m] [name_m]Bear[/name_m] are just fantastic.

Thank you so much! And I’m glad you liked some of my suggestions.

What about [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]?
I definitely feel like it has a lush feeling and [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] means “dweller at the holly trees”

[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Remus[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Oak[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Autry[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Lochner[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Thayne[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Arrow[/name_m]

Not strictly nature sorry but a few ideas that give me a nature vibe!

My absolute favorite I thought of was [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]! It’s handsome! It flows beautifully! But [name_m]Silas[/name_m] may be more popular than you were thinking. I really like [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Moss[/name_m] too. Here is the whole list:

[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Thistle
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Ent
[name_m]Sylvester[/name_m] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Silvanus[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Rue[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Elwood[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Elm[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Florian[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Moss[/name_m]

I totally understand if you’re not feeling it, but I just have to say that [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is really handsome combination - it has such a lovely strong sound!

Thank you all for the suggestions!

@emmievis - Thank you for the feedback!

@kate2552 - I love the meaning, but there is a family member named [name_f]Holly[/name_f] who makes this name pretty unusable for us.

@kityne - I usually avoid alliteration, but [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is so grand and mossy and green! I’ll definitely have to mull this one over. I also like [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] and [name_m]Thane[/name_m].

@oftenoverseas - I think [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] has great flow, but my brother has had dibs on [name_m]Silas[/name_m] since he was like four, haha. All his life he’s wanted a boy named [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and a girl named [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u]. I guess name nerdery runs in the family! I think [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Moss[/name_m] and [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Thistle are whimsical and utterly adorable. I’m also attracted to your suggestions of [name_m]Silvanus[/name_m] and [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m]. I’ve always loved Syl- names. But I think my favorite idea on this list is [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m]. I don’t know why I’d never considered it before. I love Welsh names, and I’m pagan, so the [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m] publishing company connection is quite strong. You’ve given me a lot to think about!

@mummacat92 - I appreciate your feedback on [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]. I wish [name_u]Sage[/name_u] felt more druid and less cowboy to me! I think I’ve just met too many sibsets of [name_m]Colton[/name_m] and [name_u]Sage[/name_u] or [name_m]Levi[/name_m] and [name_u]Sage[/name_u], and now I can’t shake the desert associations :frowning:

So far nothing has leapt out as being “The One,” although you’ve definitely given me some ideas to ponder! I’m still open to any suggestions you berries may have. <3

There has so many great suggestions already – I just wanted to say that I think [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Sage[/name_u] is lovely, not at all heavy (in fact I find it quite light myself), and I would never consider it a cowboy name (I really don’t understand that connection at all, to be honest). It has a wonderful green colour to it, and it fits beautifully with your other combos (I really like [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Forest[/name_m] & [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] [name_f]Cypress[/name_f]).

My 4 year old is named [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]! We chose the name [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Windurst (a meaningful name from a video game we both played). He is SUCH an [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] and we all love the name. We call him Obers for short. :slight_smile: Right now he is saying with his siblings “I am [name_u]Oberon[/name_u], king of the fairies!”

I am also a fan of [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] and other such nature middle names

[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Mattox
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Titan[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Hawke
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Griffin[/name_m]

Really liked your [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] and the suggestion [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Everest[/name_u]

[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Moss[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Oak[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_f]Fjord[/name_f]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Ocean[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Kale[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Skye[/name_u] (as in isle of)
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_f]Isle[/name_f]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Éire (the name of [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] - the [name_f]Emerald[/name_f] [name_f]Isle[/name_f])
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Mistletoe
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Fen
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Dyke
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Aveland (a historic land division in Lincolnshire U.K.)
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Chalk
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_f]East[/name_f]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Emrys[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Ambrosius[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Silvanus[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Silvan[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Aneirin
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Cassius[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Reef[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Pine[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_f]Aqua[/name_f]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Aqueous
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Thunder
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Thor[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_f]Autumn[/name_f]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Dew

@sunniva - Thank you so much for your feedback on my combos! I think the cowboy feeling I get from [name_u]Sage[/name_u] comes from the fact that the high desert is covered in sagebrush, and when I lived in [name_u]Colorado[/name_u], I heard it used a lot in sibsets with names like [name_m]Colton[/name_m] and [name_m]Levi[/name_m] and [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m].

@queerdo27 - Oh my goodness, I am delighted that there’s another little [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] in the world! ” I’m so glad he loves his name!

@prairiekeeper - I love [name_m]Hawk[/name_m], but names that end in K / hard C are hard to say with my last name, because it starts with a K. Which is unfortunate, because a lot of names I love end in a K sound - [name_f]Lark[/name_f], Rook, [name_m]Hawk[/name_m], etc. I also like [name_m]Griffin[/name_m], but I’m not sure I love it.

@etymology - ooh, thank you for the long list! I like [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Moss[/name_m], [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_u]Oak[/name_u], [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_f]Fjord[/name_f], [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Silvan[/name_m], [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Pine[/name_m], and [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Thunder. But my absolute hands-down favorite is [name_u]Oberon[/name_u] Fen. I’ve never heard this used as a name, but it’s perfection! It has the wearability of [name_u]Finn[/name_u], but the meaning and association is 100% nature. It feels lush and fey and moody, and it evokes imagery of a marshland wreathed with fog. I’m in love. Thank you!!