What was Teething like for you ?

At what age did your little one start teething, how long after did they get their first tooth & what was it all like?

My daughter is almost 4.5 months now, last night she was trying to sleep & cried most the night she couldnt get comfortable. Before this she started clamping down alot during breastfeeding & you cant get her hands out of the side of her mouth but I cant feel any teeth coming anytime soon. Im thinking that might be teething related but I havr no idea what it should be like!

Teething was not fun! I guess she started somewhat early at around 4 months. She didn’t get very drooly or suck her thumb, but she would bite at my knuckle. She had trouble sleeping & would cry & indicate towards her mouth. She luckily got teeth in pairs the whole way through. She would have some relief between sets coming in but every time she would have trouble sleeping, she has experienced loose stool & some fever which I attribute to the teething despite reports that this doesn’t happen as a symptom! The fang teeth, eye teeth & back teeth were especially difficult but she was able to let me know what the trouble was at that point at least! Good luck. Teething is such a process! Mine still has more to go. I think the nursing is good for them during.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you remember of it was long after she started that she got her first tooth? That’s good to know though, even though every kid is different. . The only thing my mom remembered was my brother would get sick every time.

Azula got about 4 teeth at once! Slowly over the course of about 3 months, starting when she was around half a year. I just remember she was a bit feverish, she wanted to chew on my fingers, and she had loose stools (my mom said that’s because they salivate so much). We had a really rough period there with her at nights around that time - she would howl when we put her down, and she would wake up a couple times a night to nurse. That was probably associated with teething too. She’s teething again now and she has been biting me and wanting to nurse a LOT.

When they start teething it usually takes a while before you can feel or see any change to the gums. I would say at the very least a week or two.

4 at once! At least you didnt have it prolonged on her. Good to know about it taking awhile to notice the teeth. I guess im excitmented for the first tooth but more so want to assume I know why shes in pain. & the nursing thing I guess makes sense, last night when she couldnt sleep she wanted to nurse but now this morning shes being a little fussy about it… im glad itll get easier when they can tell us!

My daughter’s first teeth & her eye teeth both were a long process. It would almost pause…like she would be acting teethy and stop a few days & start back up! For those the process was maybe a month long? It’s so hard to remember. I remember being shocked how long it took and how they could move and hurt but stop for a bit & not seem to bother her than start up again!

Hmm that does seem odd but at least its not constantly painful for them I guess.

[name_m]Both[/name_m] my girls would show symptoms, fussy, shoving fists in mouth, clamping when nursing and then stop for a week or so and start up again…This would last seemingly forever!! Then it would start with diarrhea, some mild rashes (chin or diaper area) and very low grade fevers and the teeth would break. I swear some of these teeth took months! Especially with DD #1. But the standard comfort measures do help, luckily!

My son got his first tooth at six months. He is now almost two and has almost all his teeth- I think he is just missing a couple of molars. But when he was four months, he went through what you are describing and we thought he was teething- but no teeth came for another two months. Someone told me that babies develop additional salivary glands around four months and this can look like teething? I don’t know.

But they can definitely get teeth this early. Babies can be born with teeth even, isn’t that crazy?

The first tooth was a big deal. It seemed to hurt a lot. We gave him those bumpy rings that you put in the freezer. That helped. And we gave him some tylenol and used orajel. After the first tooth, he didn’t make a fuss about the rest of them coming in. The same thing happened with molars. He got the first one around eighteen months and it was awful. Then the rest came in and he didn’t seem to notice. I mean, he will chew on stuff more when he has teeth coming in and puts his fingers in his mouth a lot. But he didn’t run a fever or cry more or have trouble sleeping after the first.

I don’t really know what to make of that, honestly. I thought it was weird, but I was glad that teething didn’t seem to bug him anymore. Anyhow, I don’t know how common this is- maybe your daughter will be the same! I hope it doesn’t bother her and that it is over quickly.

Vitamom3 it does seem like forever, any little thing contributing to her mouth that seemed excessive I thought was teething for the last 2 months (even tho I didnt think she’d have them tht early).

Tarnkay that does help, at least if it gets worsr ill have hope that it will be bettet from the first tooth out. Hopfully she gets her early like that too! I read some babies teeth early on& then dont get them til ayear old! I feel like Iim constantly learning with her aha

I heard some scary stuff about giving Oragel to babies too young, so Azula never had that. If she got really fussy and I was especially exhausted I would give her some infant Tylenol.

[name_m]How[/name_m] did I forget the diaper rash? She would get a little rashy right before the teeth would cut through. I forgot about that.
Note: usually we use natural bum cream from the organic grocer, but if baby gets super rashy all of a sudden I highly recommend Zincofax. It goes on really thick like Penaten cream, so its not very fun to apply, but it gets rid of the rash much faster than anything else we’ve tried.

[name_m]Patrick[/name_m] got his first tooth around four months. I don’t remember it vividly but he was extra fussy like one night and then out popped a tooth. However other teeth were a lot worse. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] didn’t get any teeth until around a year. She now has four teeth total at fourteen months. Recently I think she’s been working on her one year old molars since she’s been extra fussy, gnawing on everything and her hands in her mouth a lot while crying. We only use Tylenol since that’s what our pediatrician recommends. I feel bad drugging them but if you think about it if you were in that much pain you’d probably take something to help.

I wouldnt have connected the diaper rash! Shes luckily never really had any (knock on wood) so that will be a eady sign. & our doctor recommends baby tylenol for everything but my moms on a kick about something about recent deaths theyre trying to connect? I havent looked into it but there’s always something lol.

But yeah Id probly want to use somethibg if frozen suckers or nothing relieved their pain… I actually heard that if we as adults were to go through what they are wed never be able to handle the pain.so I can only imagine it for them.

My girls boths started teehing early about 8-10weeks old and cut their first teeth at 3 months old. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] had all her teeth (including the last set of molars) by 18 months old, [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] is 22 months now and has 2 of the final molars left to cut.
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] was easy compared to [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] when is comes to teething, she got red cheeks, chewed on everything and drooled a little but that was it. Unless she was cutting molars that is, then we were up all night. [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] has nappy rash, drool by the bucket load, red cheeks, is very very grumpy and almost all refuses milk or solid foods for a few days each time.

Apart from frozen/chilled teething rings or medication we use an amber teething necklace. We didn’t use one with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] because she didn’t need it but Annabele has an amber teething necklace. I know a lot of people a skeptical about them (heck I was skeptical!) and worry about the choking hazard but we have found they really do help. She is much less grumpy and at the very least it has resuced her drooling significalty. We don’t go through 10 drool soaked bibs a day amymore. At sleep times we take if off and put it around her ankle under her clothes so she can’t choke on it or get it off. I would never let a baby sleep with one on, that seems silly to me.

Teething was not fun! Her symptoms were crankiness, biting everything not nailed down, flaming red cheeks, lots of drooling, and pulling at her ears (she ended up getting an ear infection she was so run down).

Teething required a lot of extra patience on my part. She went from a content, easy going baba who slept through the night to a monster who wouldn’t be more than 2inches away from her mama at any given time! She became very clingy.

We used amber teething necklaces which I HIGHLY recommend! No choking risk, and very soothing for baby to chew on without any danger. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] the Giraffe was also a godsend, and also became her favourite plaything. [name_m]Just[/name_m] remember to sanitize it daily as it ends up getting very sticky from constantly being chewed.

Medicine wise, we didn’t use much. We gave her some infant liquid paracetemol when she get feverish from it, and used rubbed sachets of teethas (I’m in the UK not sure if they’re available elsewhere) to relieve some of the pain when it got really bad.

It was a tough few months, cutting the back molars were particularly awful, but we got through it!

I seen those [name_f]Amber[/name_f] jewerly items on amazon! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to see you both think it works I’ll have to give it a try. . & are they supposed to chew on it? For some reason I thought I read just the some is supposed to help ease them which is why it seemed skeptical to me (even though I come from a old hippyish family in those senses).

Everyone keeps mentioning the molars - I didn’t even think of them. . sound dreadful!

I seen those [name_f]Amber[/name_f] jewerly items on amazon! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to see you both think it works I’ll have to give it a try. . & are they supposed to chew on it? For some reason I thought I read just the some is supposed to help ease them which is why it seemed skeptical to me (even though I come from a old hippyish family in those senses).

Everyone keeps mentioning the molars - I didn’t even think of them. . sound dreadful!

No they aren’t supposed to be chewed on, but my daughter chewed on hers. It helped her even when she didn’t chew on it, she preferred chewing on [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], but she got relief from chomping on it every now and then. You can also get teething bracelets if you are wary of baby choking but I honestly found the necklaces to be fine, they are very flexible.

If you buy one make sure it’s certified amber as some places do sell fakes (especially on ebay etc.) The information we got with out said that they shouldn’t be chewed so if [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] tried to chew it we would distract her with a teething toy and eventually she stopped trying.

The amber isn’t “magical”, there’s a scientific basis for why it works. [name_f]Amber[/name_f] has properties that have a soothing effect on the nervous system and relieves pain when it’s kept warm -whether or not body heat is enough to release the acids in it is debatable, but many people say it works.

Also, giving oragel to babies under 2 can be life threatening.