What was the first big news story you remember?

I think it was either 9/11 or The queen’s mother death.

I think the [name_f]Malaysia[/name_f] Airlines Flight 370 is the first news story I really remember vividly, everyone was talking about it.

2 Likes

Hurricane [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] was the first news story I remember following. I would’ve been 6 at the time.

1 Like

It wasn’t the first, but the news story that affected me the most was when they found [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] Fritzl. That was the beginning of my anxiety around being kidnapped, which I still have to this day.

The earliest news story I can remember is when [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] McCann was first reported missing. I’ve been obsessed with the case since and I hope that one day it will finally be discovered what actually happened to her that night. I think it’s also the case that got me interested in criminology and criminal investigation.

The first news story I really remember seeing was [name_f]Hurricane[/name_f] [name_u]Sandy[/name_u] (goodness, this makes me seem young :joy:). I remember being at a friend’s house and I can still picture that TV and the footage of the storm. I’m not sure why it stuck in my head, as I didn’t live anywhere near that area, but it’s a very clear memory!

2 Likes

I really had to think about this!

I remember gay marriage being legalized in Massachusetts when I was 11. I’ve always known I was straight, but LGBTQ+ rights have been important to me for as long as I can remember.

Hurricane [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] or war in Iraq. (I’m in U.S.)

Stock Market [name_m]Crash[/name_m] of 2008

9/11 but it’s a very faint memory. the first one I vividly remember is when Saddam [name_m]Hussein[/name_m] was executed.

The statue of Saddam [name_m]Hussein[/name_m] coming down in Iraq.

I remember the protests before the Iraq War in [name_u]London[/name_u] but much less vividly, as I didn’t fully understand why they didn’t believe the government etc. But the moment that statue came down, and the people around it cheered, I understood that joy. I’d have been 6.

I remember the day they killed the leader of ISIS.

Syrian civil war

Hands down, 9/11.

9/11, I was almost 6 when it happened and I remember being sent home from school for the day, my grandma came and got me and I watched the news with her and I remember crying a lot.

The 2008 financial crash as my mum was made redundant since her department shut down.

Hurricane [name_u]Sandy[/name_u] was the first one I felt really involved with (since I live in coastal-ish NY) but I have the distinct memory of watching a [name_m]Obama[/name_m] for president ad when I was super young.

I very vaguely remember a news report showing all the flowers outside Buckingham [name_m]Palace[/name_m] after [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Diana[/name_f] died. [name_f]My[/name_f] mum was very upset. I was 4 and a half at the time.

I remember the Millennium being a big deal.

Then 9/11. I remember the news reporter talking with live footage of the first tower on fire in the background, and watching in horror as a second plane came into shot behind him and hit the second tower. I would have been 9.

Foot and mouth disease in the UK, also 2001.

Madeleine McCann in 2005.

More recently, the far-right terror attacks on Utoya island in 2011 really stuck with me, as did the awful footage of Grenfell [name_u]Tower[/name_u] burning in 2017, which happened just days before I had my son.

Steve [name_m]Irwin[/name_m] (Crocodile [name_u]Hunter[/name_u]) dying. I was 7 at the time.

1 Like

I remember this one too, I was almost 10 I think? Scary!

We also had one case that’s always haunted me, I won’t name it as it’s very local to me, but I was 12, I think, and a little girl near us, who was my sister’s age was kidnapped and went missing and then unfortunately found, well…you know. [name_f]My[/name_f] sister and I weren’t allowed to play outside unsupervised or go for walks anymore by ourselves that summer (and neither were our friends) because no one knew who it was who took her for the longest time. It was quite scary, and I’ve never forgotten it. I probably remember that the most clearly.

That and [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] Tech - my grandma had a habit of calling us when something like that happened, and this was the last one she called us about before she passed, I think I was 11?