What was the most popular first name at your school?

Soooooo many [name_f]Chloe[/name_f]’s, [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]’s, & [name_f]Elise[/name_f]’s!!

Michael for boys and in total.
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] for girls.
[name_u]Alex[/name_u] as a nickname.

Sara, [name_f]Alba[/name_f], [name_f]Marta[/name_f] and Rocío for girls, probably.
José [name_m]Antonio[/name_m], [name_m]Manuel[/name_m], [name_m]Álvaro[/name_m] and [name_m]David[/name_m] for boys.

1 Like

UK in the noughties…

[name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Helen[/name_f], [name_u]Shannon[/name_u], [name_f]Paige[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], Ellie, Katie

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Robert[/name_m], [name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Harry[/name_u], [name_u]George[/name_u], [name_m]Adam[/name_m], [name_m]Mark[/name_m], [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_m]William[/name_m], Thomas, Jack, Callum

4 Likes

Samantha by far (with [name_f]Savannah[/name_f] / [name_f]Savanna[/name_f] a close second).

Three of the [name_f]Samantha[/name_f]’s were in my class (they went by [name_u]Sam[/name_u], Sammye, and [name_f]Samantha[/name_f]) and two [name_f]Savanna[/name_f]’s ([name_f]Savvy[/name_f] & [name_f]Vanna[/name_f]). Our Kindergarten teacher asked the parents during registration what they wanted the them to go by since there were so many multiples and those are what they picked. Our class also only had 10-15 kids in it throughout elementary school, but by junior high all but one of the [name_f]Samantha[/name_f]’s had left.

There were also at least 20 other [name_f]Samantha[/name_f]’s in school with me (and within two or three grades to either side of me) for most of my school career. The same with [name_f]Savanna[/name_f] / [name_f]Savannah[/name_f]’s. There were always so many.

Emily / [name_f]Emilie[/name_f] was also pretty popular, but I think there were only a handful (maybe 5?) And only one class had more than one.

Brooke / [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], and [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_f]Kate[/name_f] / [name_f]Katelyn[/name_f] / [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] stand out too as there being multiples, but those were mostly in the grades below me.

And while there were few if any multiples at times of these, names that began with [name_u]Rae[/name_u] / [name_u]Ray[/name_u], Ja / [name_u]Jae[/name_u], and [name_u]Kay[/name_u] (endings like -lyn and -lee, and -la) were also very common.

Boys were a lot more diverse, but there were several [name_m]Jacob[/name_m]’s, [name_u]Austin[/name_u] / [name_m]Auston[/name_m]’s, [name_m]Gabe[/name_m] / [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] / [name_f]Gabreal[/name_f]’s, [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] / [name_m]Kaleb[/name_m]’s, [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]’s, [name_u]Eli[/name_u] / [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]’s, and [name_u]Dakota[/name_u]’s that I can remember.

There were also a few names that multiples of each gender had (most notably [name_m]Stone[/name_m], [name_u]Shelby[/name_u], [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] / [name_f]Alexus[/name_f], [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] (the only girl one went by Bailo), [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u] / Celsi (the boy one went by [name_m]Kelso[/name_m], sibling to Bailo), [name_u]Carson[/name_u], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_u]Devon[/name_u] / [name_u]Devin[/name_u], and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u].

All this said, the school I went to only had about 180 students K-12 (give or take for the 15ish pre-schoolers they had when they offered one, which was sporadic at best). So the percentage of kids that had the same name was really quite astounding at times.

1 Like

I knew a lot of Jacks, Olivias, Sophies and Sophias

I was in school in the 90s and early 2000s

The most prevalent girls names were [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f], [name_f]Brittany[/name_f], [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u], and [name_f]Katie[/name_f]. We had a good number of Jessicas, Jennifers, Haleys and Kaylas as well. Along with spelling variations.

For guys, we had a lot of Chrises, Seans, Bretts, [name_u]Alex[/name_u]/Alexanders, Kyles, Jordans, Juans, and Tylers. Quite a few Xaviers too.

Samantha, [name_f]Amanda[/name_f], [name_f]Megan[/name_f], [name_f]Kayla[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Gianna[/name_f], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_m]Caleb[/name_m], [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_m]David[/name_m], [name_u]Michael[/name_u] (2000s)

I’m from an Italian area so many kids had Italian flavored names like [name_f]Gianna[/name_f], [name_m]Giovanni[/name_m], [name_m]Santino[/name_m], etc. Also somehow I had three Franks in my fifth grade class.

At my college, which I attended from 2017 to 2019, I knew more Corinnes and Curtises than ever… I think 3 Curtises and around 4-5 Corinnes (in various spellings). [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] was ubiquitous there, as was [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] for boys. Also [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Megan[/name_f], and [name_m]Nathan[/name_m].

There are alot of [name_f]Lily[/name_f]’s/Lilly’s!
I suppose [name_f]Grace[/name_f] would also be popular, theres at least one [name_f]Grace[/name_f] in each year level.

For boys its definitely [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] or [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]

Ella! [name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Ella[/name_f] so many of them

1 Like

Used to be [name_u]Madison[/name_u]. Now, it’s [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

Jessica, [name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f]/Ashlee, [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] for girls
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_u]Michael[/name_u] for boys

Amy/Aimee, [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]

Anna, and [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] In NZ 90s-00s

Matt, [name_m]Mike[/name_m], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m]/Jake, [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_m]Kevin[/name_m] for boys

Samantha, [name_u]Abby[/name_u], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] for girls

Emily for girls & [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]/Zack for the boys.

I was born in 1983, & went to school in the midwest U.S. I’d say [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] for girls & [name_u]Michael[/name_u] or [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] for boys.

We had 4 [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]’s

1 Like

Elementary, [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m].

Middle, [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_u]Jaiden[/name_u] + variations, and [name_f]Emily[/name_f].

My name is [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], and it was by far the most popular name at my school. I live in [name_f]England[/name_f] and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] is quite a popular middle class girls name.

For context: my high school was an all-girls school, and there were 18 Hannahs in my year group of 180. That’s 1 in 10.:joy:

For boys (all though I didn’t go to high school with boys) it was probably [name_m]Jack[/name_m] or [name_m]Matthew[/name_m].

1 Like